Gransnet forums

Health

Dentist for check up and cleaning?

(22 Posts)
NicholasAnderson Wed 10-Mar-21 21:31:26

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Sparklefizz Wed 07-Oct-20 10:30:11

GrandmaKT I think it is the difference. My dental practice has spent such a lot of money to install this equipment in order to be able to reopen, and that is their prerogative, but NHS practices all across the country now have to be supplied and fitted with this equipment and it's going to take time. This is what I understand from a friend whose NHS dentist has told her this.

GrandmaKT Wed 07-Oct-20 10:12:30

Is this the difference between NHS and private practices? Our NHS dentist is still only doing emergency work. The idea of being called in for a check-up and scale and polish seems a very long way off!

Sparklefizz Wed 07-Oct-20 10:09:03

Oh, forgot to say that all patients are warned beforehand to go to the toilet and have some water before they leave home because the toilet is out of bounds unless a dire emergency, and no glasses of water are provided in the waiting room. In fact, no one waits in the waiting room.

When I left, I came out of the same door but used a different path to get back to my car in order to keep apart from the next patient waiting to go in.

Sparklefizz Wed 07-Oct-20 10:05:53

My dentist's practice was very safe. It was all on his website so I knew what to expect, plus a long email listing safety precautions and telling me what I should do. I am on Denplan.

The door was locked, had to wait outside to be let in (or stay in my car and wait for a text). I wore a mask. Receptionist wore mask and visor and was sat behind a screen. She came out to take my temperature. Went straight in to see dentist who was wearing full PPE, who had to do a full procedure because I had excruciating toothache, but he was able to do this because the practice has spent over £30,000 on particle-extracting equipment.

I understand that NHS dentists are waiting for this equipment to be installed which will cost the Govt millions.

Parsley3 Wed 07-Oct-20 09:52:46

My dentist did an old school scale and polish as she was not allowed to use machines that spray water. I wasn’t even given the option of a rinse out. I felt perfectly safe.

travelsafar Wed 07-Oct-20 09:38:15

I had what is known as a 'Jet Wash' at the dentist yesterday. In the chair for a long time but boy were the results good. It is bi- carb forced at high speed with water to clean away stains, along the gum line and it really works, i am so pleased with the result. My mouth is a little sore still but only had it done yesterday so hopefully that will subside. I felt very safe and all covid rules for health and safety observed at my dental surgery.

Willow500 Thu 24-Sep-20 06:23:19

My hygienist isn't working yet - I rang on Monday to check and they said it takes over an hour to clean the surgery down so were limiting appointments to treatments and check ups only. They did book me in for the check up next month but it looks like I won't be getting my quarterly clean for some time as we're moving out of the area.

Liz46 Wed 23-Sep-20 19:14:23

OH and I have appointments next month. We are to go together and one of us will go into the hygienist and the other to the dentist. Then we will swap over. I expect that reduces the amount of precautions they have to make.
I was told that there would be no treatment that 'splashes' so the hygienist may be limited.

Treebee Wed 23-Sep-20 19:01:18

I should have had my check up in June. The practice rang me and asked me to phone for an appointment at the end of July. But when I did, and said I had no problems they asked me to defer again which I’m more than happy to do. With the restrictions they have to work under I expect they’re overwhelmed.

NannyC2 Wed 23-Sep-20 18:50:37

Yes, very good - and safe. Prices have risen though!

Greyduster Wed 23-Sep-20 18:47:45

Like other posters, I would be there like a shot if they weren’t still purporting to be doing emergencies only. My June check up has been and gone and DH doesn’t look getting his October one.

Toadinthehole Wed 23-Sep-20 18:18:48

Our dentist is very good, and separates treatments out. So, where as before, I would have gone for a check up and clean, and possibly returned at a later date for any other work, now, the check up is separate, and I have to return for the clean, on the days he is doing any work which involves ‘ splashing’, so cleaning, drilling etc. For this he is totally gowned up in full PPE, and then cleans the surgery for an hour afterwards. Feel very safe. Just check with your dentist before you go, if you’re worried.

TwiceAsNice Wed 23-Sep-20 17:52:10

Have been and all fine. Waited in car park d rang reception. Dental nurse came and got me when they were ready for me. Dentist and nurse full PPE . I had to wear a mask until I’m the chair . All safe

Calendargirl Wed 23-Sep-20 17:49:12

DH and I were due for a check up in August, postponed, told to ring again in September, did so, still no check ups, ring again in New Year!

Would be quite happy to go if we were allowed to.

Thoro Wed 23-Sep-20 17:40:01

Got my appointment for dentist and hygienist on Friday - no more worried than I usually am - hate going!

westendgirl Wed 23-Sep-20 17:16:41

Saw the hygienist followed by filling with the dentist. I have had follow up with the dentist since,.
Temperature checks, masks , correct gear at the appropriate tim;. I'm sure you can trust your dental practice to do what is necessary .

MerylStreep Wed 23-Sep-20 17:11:29

Chrisks
I would be there in a heartbeat. But then I'm not one who worries.
I'm think of going private as our one is only doing emergencies. There are 4 dentists working. How many emergencies can you have ?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 23-Sep-20 17:04:25

Saw the hygienist last Thursday and my dentist this Monday, felt perfectly safe (I am a really nervous patient)

fevertree Wed 23-Sep-20 17:02:26

I've just come back from my check up and hygienist appointment. I felt perfectly safe. I had to wait outside until my appointment time, my temp was checked, no other patients were in the rooms, the practitioners were wearing PPE. The hygienist cleaned my teeth with a manual tool, she explained that she couldn't use the one that sprays droplets everywhere. I'm so pleased it's done!

Septimia Wed 23-Sep-20 16:54:09

DH and I have both been for check up, treatment and hygienist. Felt very safe - the arrangements had been carefully thought out and certain procedures weren't possible without full PPE. Plenty of sanitising, no mixing with other patients etc.

Chrisks Wed 23-Sep-20 16:43:18

I still not happy about going for my check up. How does everyone else feel? Have you been and do you feel safe?