Gransnet forums

Health

Corrective eye surgery

(5 Posts)
Tennis Thu 24-Sep-20 14:52:43

I have myopia and wear vari-focal glasses. I am thinking of having the lens in one eye replaced so that I would have very good distance viewing in one eye, leaving the other - which is good for reading. Apparently this is called blended vision. I wonder whether anyone has had this done, and in particular whether it was good for playing sports? I still play tennis and cricket avidly.

quizqueen Thu 24-Sep-20 15:02:38

Having one eye for long sight and one for close work doesn't sound great to me. What if one of the eyes is later damaged in some way! I had a cataract operation and now have long sight only in that eye but it's not perfect due to other problems in that eye. I feel my reading and other close work activities like threading a needle have been severely diminished.

anna7 Thu 24-Sep-20 15:56:02

I had blended vision corrective surgery years ago. It was very successful and so far, I have had no problems. My sight is starting to go now, especially in poor light, and I have cataracts which will needing doing at some point. I think this would have happened anyway as I am now in my mid sixties. I was very short sighted before the surgery and I wore contact lenses for years and years. I have never regretted the laser surgery. I have heard of people who have had a few problems though so you need to be certain it's what you want and research it thoroughly. I was willing to take the risk because I was becoming unable to tolerate contacts and I hated wearing glasses.

avitorl Thu 24-Sep-20 16:11:10

Yes,I had Lens Replacement surgery when Contact Lenses became uncomfortable. I wouldn't have it done with Laser as having Lens replaced is the same as Cataract Surgery and means you don't get a Cataract once it's done.
I was told it's not suitable for all people as some can't adapt to having different vision in each eye.You should be advised to try this out for at least a few weeks to make sure you can.I don't have to wear contacts or spectacles for anything now,not even for reading ,which is brilliant.

geekesse Thu 24-Sep-20 16:23:52

It will certainly impact on your tennis. You need the benefit of (roughly) equal vision in both eyes, working together, (binocular vision) to be able to see where a ball is in space. Without that, you can see the ball, but not really how close or far away it is. I suppose you could wear specs to correct the ‘reading side’ eye for tennis, though.

I have vision in both eyes, but not binocular vision. I can’t play racquet sports because of this. The only exception is badminton because the slower movement of the shuttlecock gives me time to calculate where it is going to be.