Gransnet forums

Health

Corrective eye surgery

(5 Posts)
geekesse Thu 24-Sep-20 16:23:52

It will certainly impact on your tennis. You need the benefit of (roughly) equal vision in both eyes, working together, (binocular vision) to be able to see where a ball is in space. Without that, you can see the ball, but not really how close or far away it is. I suppose you could wear specs to correct the ‘reading side’ eye for tennis, though.

I have vision in both eyes, but not binocular vision. I can’t play racquet sports because of this. The only exception is badminton because the slower movement of the shuttlecock gives me time to calculate where it is going to be.

avitorl Thu 24-Sep-20 16:11:10

Yes,I had Lens Replacement surgery when Contact Lenses became uncomfortable. I wouldn't have it done with Laser as having Lens replaced is the same as Cataract Surgery and means you don't get a Cataract once it's done.
I was told it's not suitable for all people as some can't adapt to having different vision in each eye.You should be advised to try this out for at least a few weeks to make sure you can.I don't have to wear contacts or spectacles for anything now,not even for reading ,which is brilliant.

anna7 Thu 24-Sep-20 15:56:02

I had blended vision corrective surgery years ago. It was very successful and so far, I have had no problems. My sight is starting to go now, especially in poor light, and I have cataracts which will needing doing at some point. I think this would have happened anyway as I am now in my mid sixties. I was very short sighted before the surgery and I wore contact lenses for years and years. I have never regretted the laser surgery. I have heard of people who have had a few problems though so you need to be certain it's what you want and research it thoroughly. I was willing to take the risk because I was becoming unable to tolerate contacts and I hated wearing glasses.

quizqueen Thu 24-Sep-20 15:02:38

Having one eye for long sight and one for close work doesn't sound great to me. What if one of the eyes is later damaged in some way! I had a cataract operation and now have long sight only in that eye but it's not perfect due to other problems in that eye. I feel my reading and other close work activities like threading a needle have been severely diminished.

Tennis Thu 24-Sep-20 14:52:43

I have myopia and wear vari-focal glasses. I am thinking of having the lens in one eye replaced so that I would have very good distance viewing in one eye, leaving the other - which is good for reading. Apparently this is called blended vision. I wonder whether anyone has had this done, and in particular whether it was good for playing sports? I still play tennis and cricket avidly.