Gransnet forums

Health

Colonoscopy.

(32 Posts)
Agnieszka Wed 30-Sep-20 01:12:32

Hello everyone.
After an appointment with my GP......she has referred me for an urgent examination of the Colon, via a Colonoscopy.
I am of course a little anxious about having this procedure, and just wondered if any lady on this site has experience of this.
I will be grateful for any responses.
Kind regards to you all
Thank you
Agnieszka. x

Juliet27 Tue 31-Aug-21 22:33:14

Just pm’d you Lucca

nadateturbe Wed 01-Sep-21 08:42:20

Difficult to advise. We are all different. I cope without anything. A male friend always has sedation. But most people manage with just entonox which makes you feel more relaxed.
Hope all goes well.

Franbern Wed 01-Sep-21 08:50:24

Just a comment to say how much colonoscopies have improved with regard to patient care.
Back in 1979, when I had my first one - it was quite a horrific procedure throughout. Yes, we were given some medicine to clear us out in advance and told not to eat for the previous 24 hours. But when I got to the hospital (drove myself there), I was given an enema by a nurse, told to go into the nearby loo, and had to call in that nurse to check what I had passed - then a further enema and repeated that three times. Then, in gown - was sent to room for the procedure, no suggestion of any assistance or pain relief. At the end of that was just sent home (no drink or biccie, etc). I can remember sitting in my car feeling so unwell and just wanting to go home and to bed - which I was not able to do as at home there were pre-school children needing looking after.
Over the next ten years I was to have this procedure carried out on many occasions - slowly improving in how it was done.
My last time was just over ten years later, before I had a total Proctectomy. Much improved - none of that horrible getting nurse to check what was in toilet bowl, but still very unpleasant and still no tea and biscuits.

FannyCornforth Wed 01-Sep-21 08:54:53

Hi Lucca I’ve just spoken to DH, and he had etanox.
He said that it was absolutely fine and that he almost didn’t feel a thing, just a tiny bit of discomfort.

nadateturbe Wed 01-Sep-21 11:35:44

Franbern that sounds totally horrendous! Must have been awful knowing you were going for one.
Definitely nothing like that now.

Dee1012 Wed 01-Sep-21 11:46:16

I've recently had this procedure and was actually advised by the nurse to have sedation during a telephone 'consultation' prior.
In all honesty, the staff present during it all, were absolutely wonderful and everything was explained as it was happening.
It wasn't the most pleasant experience shock and I still felt a slight discomfort but it was over pretty quickly.
Even though I had sedation, I was still aware of everything and felt fine afterwards, not even sleepy!
In fact the worst part for me was the Movieprep...made me feel really nauseous.