Gransnet forums

Health

Falls

(8 Posts)
annsixty Mon 05-Oct-20 10:54:30

I have just read on another thread about waiting for an ambulance to be picked up after a fall.
I am no stranger to that situation as my H had many falls and even in nonCovid times the wait could be Two hours or more.
In the middle of the night it is no fun.

One night when my H obviously wasn’t hurt, just couldn’t get up, a light bulb went off in my head.
We had a blowup single mattress with an electric pump.

I fetched it down and laid it at the side of him and managed to roll him onto it, I plugged it in and even supporting his weight it slowly rose up.

When fully inflated, he was ably to sit up with my help and then swing his legs over the edge and stand up.

After that I kept it in the room he slept in and used it several times.
I hasten to add I would never had done this unless
I was sure he wasn’t hurt.
The mattress was about £60 and worth it’s weight in gold.

NotTooOld Mon 05-Oct-20 10:56:26

What a good idea, Ann. You must be very quick thinking in an emergency. Well done.

Teetime Mon 05-Oct-20 12:09:33

Great idea. Its how they deal with lorries that have 'fallen over'.

Marydoll Mon 05-Oct-20 12:13:20

Clever thinking Anne! It must have been so worrying for you.
You should post this tip on the other thread.

Elizabeth1 Mon 05-Oct-20 12:14:29

Annesixty thank you so much for pm me regarding your post what a very clever idea to get off the floor. It’s blooming sore lying on a hard floor especially if you’re unable to adjust yourself into a comfortable position. My sister was smart enough to place pillows under my tender spots she on my first fall was able to get me up off the ground by wrapping a towel around my lower back then it was heave ho with another able body to at this point help me to stand hallelujah

Fennel Mon 05-Oct-20 17:00:52

Very clever idea*Ann*. I'll have to tell husband about it as he has had to rescue me a few times.
I mostly fall outside and need something to hold onto to get up. So maybe a smaller version to carry in my bag.

Fennel Mon 05-Oct-20 17:08:22

ps there's another current thread on a similar subject:
www.gransnet.com/forums/health/1285537-The-falls-team-dedicated-to-helping-folks-off-the-floor

ElaineI Mon 05-Oct-20 18:37:39

That's similar to the device the Falls team brought Annsixty. What a good idea. Is there a way to merge the 2 threads?