Gransnet forums

Health

Waiting list woes - knee replacement

(11 Posts)
pen50 Thu 08-Oct-20 07:55:58

I had a knee replaced last year, successfully, and the other one needs doing. Currently when I stand up with both feet flat on the floor my right hip is two inches lower than my left sad and I'm getting bad pain in both hips which I think is a knock on effect from my limp.

I rand up yesterday and discovered, after much shilly-shallying, that the waiting list I was on was 18 months long. "Oh, his waiting list was a year long before the virus."

What can I do about getting transferred to someone else with a shorter list? We're planning to move next year anyway so I shall be in a new NHS area.

lionpops Mon 12-Oct-20 07:19:39

You can choose the hospital for your treatment.
Wait till you move areas.
Register with Doctor.
Research the hospitals in your area including private hospitals with nhs contracts
Contact those hospitals for waiting list times.
Make a gP appointment and get a referral to the cons/hospital of your choice. Have full details of hospital at appointment.
The waiting lists are going to be very long now so you may wish to consider if there is any way you can pay for your op.
www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/nhs-services-and-treatments/can-i-choose-where-to-receive-treatment/

Esspee Mon 12-Oct-20 07:52:39

Too late for pen50 I know, but for those about to have a knee replacement do discuss having both knees done at the same time. It means just one wait for the op. and one recovery period.

Chewbacca Mon 12-Oct-20 08:19:27

I've got my long awaited appointment with the consultant today. I'm not overly optimistic that my knees will be done within the next 12 months; not with 4.2 million people on the national waiting lists. Fingers crossed though.

Parky Mon 12-Oct-20 08:29:51

Just how bad do knees have to be before they offer replacement? My knee is bone on bone, no cartilage left, and kneecap displaced. However, consultant says as I'm managing reasonable well, albeit with pain, he won't even list me. I am slim but due to spleen removal after accident as a child have compromised immune system.

Yes I am slim, and do grit my teeth and carry on, but Some days I am in so much pain and stairs are a tearful challenge

Parky Mon 12-Oct-20 08:33:06

Oh meant to ask. Those who have had knee replacement, how active are you now, what activities can you do, such as stairs, kneeling to garden or scrub floors, dancing, walking any distance in comfort etc

silverlining48 Mon 12-Oct-20 08:45:31

Think kneeling is out parky,

tanith Mon 12-Oct-20 09:02:56

Parky it really sounds like your knees are bad enough for replacement but you aren’t letting your surgeon know how badly you are affected. You need to tell them how badly it’s affecting your quality of life and I remember as soon as I said that it was waking me at night as well as other symptoms I was scheduled for hip-replacement. Good luck.

Nonogran Mon 12-Oct-20 11:04:53

Hello Parky, my knee replacement is 11 years old. I can't kneel very well but I can garden, walk well on it & really carry on as normal without pain. Odd twinge but nothing worrying. Other knee is more painful but I take Turmeric with black pepper which I personally find helpful.
I'm so glad I have my metal knee. Luckily for me I was NHS but operated on at the local Nuffield. I live near a city which has an amazing orthopaedic reputation. "He that shouts loudest, gets!" Nag the NHS route & you might get a cancellation once all the preliminaries and tests are done?

Esspee Mon 12-Oct-20 11:29:37

Parky. My OH had both his done at the same time. It has been a huge success. He can do everything he did before like 20 mile walks, climbing, sailing etc. but cannot kneel.

Jane10 Mon 12-Oct-20 12:41:19

Parky have you tried the Oxford knee scale? Its a questionnaire to assess how your knee problems impinge on everyday life. Doctors use this.
After my knee replacements I'm able to get out and about without pain. I can stand in queues and dont live life going from seat to seat as I used to. I dont kneel (but I dont know quite why. I just dont fancy it!) I miss the Aquafit and yoga classes I used to attend before the lockdown.
I'm grateful every day for my new knees.