Gransnet forums

Health

Ring Pessary

(3 Posts)
Carol23 Sat 24-Oct-20 20:10:38

Approx 10 years ago I had surgery for rectocele repair, but it's been failing for the last couple of years. I've now reached the stage where I need to get something done about it as I often find it difficult to urinate. I went to my GP - a different one from 10 years ago- who examined me and said I needed a ring pessary. I collected said item from the pharmacy today and looking at it made my toes curl shock I have problems just having a smear taken so can't imagine how it's going to feel having this contraption fitted! My previous surgery was done privately as I had insurance cover through OH's employers, and I wonder if my then GP would have been so keen to refer me straight away for NHS treatment. I'm really keen to hear from others' experience of ring pessaries as I'm dreading my appointment for fitting, I think I may just leave the country hmm

Marydoll Sat 24-Oct-20 20:49:09

I had no problems at all and it did hold everything up for a while. I did need a hysterectomy and a bladder repair eventually.

Think of the size of a baby, compared to a pessary. It shouldn't hurt. Good luck.

GrandmaKT Sat 24-Oct-20 20:52:17

Honestly, mine didn't hurt at all being fitted and I can't feel it when it's in. Best thing I ever did! The ring folds in half when it's being inserted, so it slips in quite easily. I know it's easier said than done, but just try to relax!