Gransnet forums

Health

Colonoscopy - Any experience?

(32 Posts)
DaisyL Wed 28-Oct-20 09:55:30

I know this has come up before, but I have just been asked to have a colonoscopy after my routine 'poo' test. I have no symptoms and I'm not too worried about the actual test as I am going for all the sedation I can get, but I have to have a Covid test tomorrow and then isolate until the procedure on Monday. My doctor says that as I am fit and well it will (hopefully) be a polyp. The trouble is I am dreading the weekend as I live alone and I have to quarantine after the Covid test. I imagine that I am going to spend all weekend planning my funeral! It would be lovely to have some reassurance - rather than being told by one of my friends that her husband only lived fir six weeks after his!!!

DaisyL Thu 29-Oct-20 17:16:11

Must say it sounds like a lot of fun!!! I was quite relaxed about the procedure itself, but what with the Blazing Saddles images and the word picture of a 'tap being turned on', I'm feeling slightly more nervous, but as long as the result is OK I'll be fine.

harrigran Thu 29-Oct-20 23:36:42

I have had seven procedures and have never had a problem with gas afterwards. After each of mine I have had Buscopan injected in my thigh, it disperses the gas and prevents cramps.

Luckylegs Thu 29-Oct-20 23:42:07

I remember thinking I’ll just take this stuff and then go out shopping! Whoa! I don’t think I got to go shopping! It was instant but very satisfying.

DaisyL Mon 02-Nov-20 14:05:55

Jut back from the colonoscopy - they removed two polyps (they are going to be examined in histology but the nurse seemed to think it would be fine and that I should come back in three years(. Fingers crossed all will be well. Have to say it was much more painful that I thought it would be even with sedation and pain relief. Very glad it's over! And I thank everyone for their wise words.

Oopsadaisy4 Mon 02-Nov-20 16:01:32

So pleased you had a good resultDaisy you must be so relieved.

Hope you bought some chocolate to cheer yourself up

Blossoming Mon 02-Nov-20 21:43:31

Pleased it’s all over, hope the lab results are good x