Gransnet forums

Health

No idea what’s up - feeling sorry for myself - is this declining health in old age

(51 Posts)
Fecklar Tue 17-Nov-20 10:52:02

I’ve been ill on and off since 20th October. I’m still ill. It’s not covid I’ve been tested twice with negative results. I’ve had that cough. Still have a sore throat and a tickly cough. Had antibiotics and it went but now it’s back I’m dragging myself into my job. Also doing childcare once a week. Cannot shake this thing off. Nightmare. Feel malaise. Can only function with a couple of slugs of caffeine and paracetamol. Sick of bothering the doc with it. Sounds like a heavy cold but not. Can’t take any more antibiotics because they’ve been nonstop since March with infection after infection that my body seems to not able to rid itself? Can’t say it’s FLU, or cold, or mild case of covid if there is such a thing. Has anyone out there had similar?

Newatthis Wed 18-Nov-20 10:50:35

Poor poor you. Have you tried going down the complementary medicine route. I am prone to coughs and colds and I find that if I boil a cinnamon stick up with an inch or two of ginger, roughly chopped, it really helps.

Theoddbird Wed 18-Nov-20 10:53:24

I had something similar three years ago. I would work a week then it was a few days off etc. Apparently it is a type of flu. Went on for about 6 weeks.

Leah50 Wed 18-Nov-20 10:55:28

Fecklar, are you sure it's not an allergy? All my life I've been affected by some airborne chemicals in perfumes, aerosols etc. My sinuses block, eyes itch, nose streams, throat closes & I cough so much it's scary. So far I've always been fit enough to get away & go outdoors where the problems clear after a while, but since we've all been using anti-bacterials in March, I haven't had one day free of coughs, sneezing & a blocked-up feeling.

Phloembundle Wed 18-Nov-20 11:36:09

It took me many years to realise that trying to work through viruses just prolongs them. If you can, take some time off and be kind to yourself.

LinkyPinky Wed 18-Nov-20 11:39:35

Fecklar

Thank you for all your ideas and suggestions I will take note of them all. Yes I’m working in an airless office with no windows but I did have the air con cut off as it had been put in wrong. Also interesting is the car air con which dries out my nose. I saw the doc yesterday face to face and he said the first lot of antibiotics did work because I felt better but then when they finished the same virus came back. So I’ve been given doxycycline for 7 days to see how I go with that but definitely need to either work from home or take some time off to fully recover.

Hi Fecklar, I wonder if you would find a humidifier helpful. You can get small ones you can take to work, use in your car and have on your bedside table. Good luck.

sazz1 Wed 18-Nov-20 12:34:48

Try taking an allergy tablet e.g. cetrazine for hayfever. This is how I found that I had dust allergy.

squirrel5 Wed 18-Nov-20 13:44:13

My Dh,had a similar episode a couple of years ago,he was back and forth to the doctors,blood tests,at least 3 courses of different antibiotics,,he did have catarrh,with a post nasal drip,causing a sore throat and coughing,in the end he had nasal swabs,and it turned out to be a fungal infection,...for which antibiotics don't work,so was prescribed antifungals,and it cleared up completely

Iam64 Wed 18-Nov-20 13:47:43

Fecklar, you're doing a lot and you aren't 39 any more. Can you take a week off work and childcare and take care of yourself. Rest up, drink lots of fluids, read a book and eat well. ''Convalescence" isn't something anyone seems to do any more and I think we should. Especially during this tough year which is taxing people in so many ways

Sparklefizz Wed 18-Nov-20 14:03:52

Fecklar I had something similar in June 2019. In fact, if someone had told me that Covid was around back then, I would have said I had it.

Anyway, have you had a chest X-ray? I found out when I had my everlasting cough that there is something known as "Walking Pneumonia" and my GP thought I had it. As it happened, I didn't, thank goodness. I think you should make an appointment.

Jillybird Wed 18-Nov-20 14:04:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FlotheCrow Wed 18-Nov-20 14:22:17

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 18-Nov-20 14:29:09

What you are describing is not just old age creeping up on you.

I am afraid you will need to pester your doctor until he or she finds a cure .

I would be tempted to ask for six weeks' sick leave and see if that shakes it.

Is the air in your home and place of work very dry? I sometimes feel as if I am coming down with a cold indoors if the air is too dry.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 18-Nov-20 14:31:36

FltheCrow: you don't need to read these threads, you know.

I doubt either the OP here or anyone else describing a health issue, enjoys ill health, which seems to me to be what you are suggesting.

They are simply asking for advice because they are fed up with feeling rotten and want to get well!

Maremia Wed 18-Nov-20 14:58:12

I echo all the good Gransnet advice on here about resting, trying herbal remedies, getting more tests. Did someone say ginger and lemon drinks? That's why we come here most days, to get support and comfort.
Hope it all works out for you Fecklar.

Katyj Wed 18-Nov-20 15:08:37

I was once felt like this in my fifties. The first thing the Dr asked was do you look after young children, I was looking after my dgs then, he said I was probably getting reinfected every three weeks.I think I eventually just became immune to him, and started to feel better ?
My mum never feels better until she’s had a course of doxycycline, Hope it does the trick. Good luck .

Callistemon Wed 18-Nov-20 15:16:41

I didn't join Gransnet to read all this depressing stuff.
That's confused me - why are you reading it, then, FlotheCrow?

There are lots of other threads (and sites).

DanniRae Wed 18-Nov-20 16:56:31

Well said grandtante and Callistemon!! I totally agree.

MrsThreadgoode Wed 18-Nov-20 17:12:03

Odd to read the Health thread if you aren’t interested in other peoples health and their problems.

Thisismyname1953 Wed 18-Nov-20 17:25:22

I was a bit fluey last Saturday. Cough . Sore throat. Headache . laryngitis BUT no temperature . Had covid test on Sunday which was positive. Still no temp . Covid man on the phone has said I will only have a mild version of it . I seem ok so far . You should get another test . Stay safe x

Patsy70 Wed 18-Nov-20 17:36:59

I do hope you follow the good advice on here, Fecklar. It does sound as though you’re being reinfected by your gc and the air conditioning is not helping. A rest from work and childcare, vitamins D and C, maybe Echinacea, lots of warm drinks and soups; walks in the fresh air and good healthy food. I hope you are soon feeling well again. flowers

bikergran Wed 18-Nov-20 17:44:43

Last month I went 65, I swear I woke up the morning after with more aches/pains/stiff joints than ever before and still got them confused

Although I have got a new bed/mattress and its rather firm!
So I am hoping it is that, I do take Vit D have done for 12 months.

Joyfulnanna Wed 18-Nov-20 18:29:16

Get some vicks put it on your chest and throat. Also on your feet and put socks on. Go to bed and stay there for a couple of days. You need rest and recuperation.

mimismo Thu 19-Nov-20 11:44:37

I'm always told my iron levels are fine, which may be for the average person but I always feel better after a top up. I use Vitalix. It might be a placebo but it works for me!

Aepgirl Thu 19-Nov-20 15:10:06

Good advice, Callistemon, if only we could get to see a GP - they're all hiding in case they catch something, while we can't even get a diagnosis.

Callistemon Thu 19-Nov-20 17:41:32

Aepgirl I did manage to see a new GP in our practice recently and got a hospital appointment as a result. I was very apprehensive, but was all very well organised and there were more staff than patients in the outpatients department.