Gransnet forums

Health

The Vaccine

(613 Posts)
annsixty Sun 22-Nov-20 11:39:05

Has everyone made up their minds about the vaccine yet?

I an 83 so in what is possibly the second group to be offered it.
I just cannot make a decision about whether or not to accept.

I have always had the flue jab, had pneumonia one and shingles, so why am I so undecided about this?

I have spoken to several friends in the same age group and they are all eager to go ahead, in fact one is champing at the bit and says he will be first in the queue.

Any thoughts ?

Sparklefizz Tue 01-Dec-20 11:13:15

I know several people who had the Shingles vaccine and still went on to get Shingles .... but just had it very mildly without the painful rash. I suspect the Covid vaccine might be the same.

Sparklefizz Tue 01-Dec-20 11:15:07

Well yes I’ve been wondering about teachers being vaccinated. They’re usually offered free flu jabs (I think) so shouldn’t they be somewhere in the priority list ?

My daughter's a teacher and can't get a flu jab anywhere, free or paid for.

growstuff Tue 01-Dec-20 11:33:36

I don't think teachers are automatically offered flu jabs (could be wrong). When I was teaching in schools, I don't ever remember any promotions to encourage teachers to be vaccinated. I've been having one for years because I have diabetes, not because I was a teacher.

JenniferEccles Tue 01-Dec-20 13:03:28

Oh yes I remember Andrew Wakefield. At the time I must admit his argument against the MMR vaccine did seem convincing, especially as it was allegedly backed up with evidence from trials.

Ultimately as Stainedglass said, the study was found to be fraudulent and he was struck off.

Apparently he is now a bit of a celebrity in the US where he lives with his girlfriend Elle McPherson.

I really hope that most people will have the sense to ignore the shameful conspiracy theories circulating around the covid vaccines.

We need as many people as possible to have the vaccine when it is offered.

Franbern Tue 01-Dec-20 14:00:03

It is not so much protecting children, etc. that I think that teachers,etc should be in the forefront of the vaccination; It is to protect those teachers and other adults in the schools, and thereby, hopefully get back to keeping schools/colleges fully open. To me, these people are as important as the NHS workers, although I detest the idea of prioritising in this way

Lucca Tue 01-Dec-20 15:40:23

Sparklefizz

^Well yes I’ve been wondering about teachers being vaccinated. They’re usually offered free flu jabs (I think) so shouldn’t they be somewhere in the priority list ?^

My daughter's a teacher and can't get a flu jab anywhere, free or paid for.

Yes i me a couple of ex colleagues who are still teaching both are over. They said the same.
My information may be out of date. We used to be offered it I know.

Daddima Tue 01-Dec-20 16:03:51

For those who are worried about it being ‘rushed’.

( I know it’s from social media, but it sounds reasonable to me)

Rosalyn69 Tue 01-Dec-20 16:18:02

Mr Drakeford says we may have it by next week. Well some of us. I hope the elderly going first means we need protecting and not that we are expendable if it all goes wrong.

Dawn22 Thu 03-Dec-20 18:30:55

Just a query

Anyone have any thoughts on women of child bearing years taking the Vaccine when it does get rolled out.
Thanks for any input.
Dawn

MayBee70 Thu 03-Dec-20 18:39:17

Rosalyn69

Mr Drakeford says we may have it by next week. Well some of us. I hope the elderly going first means we need protecting and not that we are expendable if it all goes wrong.

No. The reasoning is that the people that are most likely to be hospitalised with COVID will be vaccinated first, thus taking pressure off the NHS (and also freeing up beds for routine stuff I guess. JVT said on tv today that this approach should reduce 98% of hospitalisations.

Tweedle24 Sat 05-Dec-20 12:44:02

Dawn22 This question was asked of the scientists. The answer is that it was tested on women of childbearing age but, not specifically on pregnant women. However, some did become pregnant during the trial and no adverse effects were recorded to mothers or babies.
That is the Oxford trial. We can only assume the same can be said about the Pfizer one.

Daisend1 Sat 05-Dec-20 13:24:23

This is a 'virus' previously unknown to the general public. UNTIL now. You had to have been on another planet never to have heard of our present tried and tested twentieth C vaccines the world has benefited from having saved many lives.It is understandable for many to be cautious myself admitting with hands in the air being one of the hmmhmmand hmm.

Elegran Sat 05-Dec-20 13:39:43

But it is related to the common cold corona virus, so the scientists had a clue to follow.

annsixty Sat 05-Dec-20 13:51:00

Immunity “may last for 90days”
That is a “reasonable assumption”
Am I reading the wrong news?

annsixty Sat 05-Dec-20 13:51:31

Or am I interpreting the news wrongly?

Alegrias2 Sat 05-Dec-20 14:41:29

The fact is true annsixty, but do you think that is good news or bad news? Or neither smile.

Jaxjacky Sat 05-Dec-20 14:58:09

Elegran also SARS and MERS on which a lot of work had been done. Interesting in the paper today that the Oxford scientists are about to enter the final trials of a Malaria vaccine too.

LauraNorder Sat 05-Dec-20 15:03:55

Annsixty my assumption is that there is only approximately 90 days worth of data since trials began.
Can anyone else confirm or otherwise?

LauraNorder Sat 05-Dec-20 15:05:37

On that basis perhaps in another 90 days we’ll be told immunity may last 180 days

Elegran Sat 05-Dec-20 15:25:35

Trials of the Oxford vaccine began in April, so there is data for that.

annsixty Sat 05-Dec-20 15:27:18

I just wondered how it will work if we need a top up every 3 months.
Alternatively if every single person is going to take up the offer of a vaccine and it is done quickly enough, we will have no problem.
We all know of course that is not going to happen.
I also read that people who have been isolating for a long period ,this includes me, may have a bad reaction to the vaccine as they could have become immunosuppressed.
Is this a possibility?
I had decided to accept the offer, now, once again I am unsure.

Elegran Sat 05-Dec-20 15:35:36

Where did you hear that about immunosuppression?

Elegran Sat 05-Dec-20 15:43:14

I thought that it occurred when the immune system was weakened by drugs, chronic illness or whatever. I don't think it happens just because you haven't been mixing with others for a while.

If that were true, people wouldn't need to take drugs to weaken the immune system for transplants - just staying alone for a while would work just as well, then they could go back to comin

We know that they can't, because people who have had transplants have to damp down their immune responses for the reat of their lives.

Elegran Sat 05-Dec-20 15:44:50

. . . could go back to coming into contact with all the bugs without worrying about their effect. We know that isn't true.

Alegrias2 Sat 05-Dec-20 15:52:19

The Daily Mirror and their like have a lot to answer for.

The 90 days figure comes from the fact that SAGE have looked at the figures for re-infection with the virus that causes COVID and compared that with other coronaviruses. Chances of re-infection are very small, and they have found that this is the same for all the viruses they looked at. Re-infection with other coronaviruses sometimes happens after a year, very rarely within 6 months, and never within 3 months. So, they can say that re-infection with the COVID virus is not going to happen within 3 months, and not likely to happen within 6 months. Maybe after a year, maybe not.

This means we definitely won't need top-ups after 3 months, or probably even 6 months, but we might need it every year. But its really too early to say.

I really hope this doesn't put you off having the vaccine annsixty, the reports have spun this as negative when its actually positive. I couldn't find anything relevant on immunosuppression.