Gransnet forums

Health

Hi from Queen Lizzie's Hospital, Govan.

(36 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Sat 26-Dec-20 23:58:29

I was admitted this morning with an asthma flare-up caused by a bacterial infection. I've been here before and know the form so it's nothing to worry about.

Hope you all managed as good a Christmas as you could muster in the circumstances. I had a nice quiet day with the cats, a shoulder of lamb and a bottle or three of prosecco.

Niobe Thu 31-Dec-20 13:02:09

When I lived in Glasgow the new hospital was affectionately called the Death Star because from the air the building looks like a star.

Namsnanny Thu 31-Dec-20 12:43:47

Hope you are getting better each day LadyH.
I bet you are looking forward to seeing your chums at home, and they you flowers

Kalu Wed 30-Dec-20 10:14:10

Hope you are well enough to get home soon LadyHD.
There is no place like home and your own bed.

I am well acquainted with the new hospital now and it is a huge improvement to my experience in the SG in the 70s that I mentioned.

Redhead56 Wed 30-Dec-20 01:52:37

Hope you get home well enough and get that bottle of prosecco open.

Ailsa43 Wed 30-Dec-20 01:46:26

All my younger siblings (all past 50 now) were born at the Southern General . My mum was a nurse there in the 60's too .

Hope you feel better soon LHD

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 19:26:09

Get well soon and I hope you can go home asap
flowers

Marydoll Tue 29-Dec-20 18:25:30

I hope you are home now.
There are parts of the old buildings still in use, well at least up to pre Lockdown. Some of my appointments take place there.
My wee granddaughter loves to stand and await the arrival of the helicopter on the roof!

LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 29-Dec-20 17:26:00

Kalu

*Daddima*. We both seem to have every reason to call it The Suffering General. My youngest DD was born there 43 yrs ago. A nightmare experience!

That was the old Southern General. This is the shiny new Southern General, NHS Scotland's very expensive showcase that's only about five years old. It's had some bad publicity but I've been in a few times now for the same thing and I reckon if you are going to be ill there are far worse places to be.

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Dec-20 17:35:34

LadyHonoraria I hope you’ve had a reasonable day and are improving.

Kalu Mon 28-Dec-20 17:30:24

Daddima. We both seem to have every reason to call it The Suffering General. My youngest DD was born there 43 yrs ago. A nightmare experience!

Kalu Mon 28-Dec-20 17:26:32

On the road!!

Kalu Mon 28-Dec-20 17:26:02

Hope today found you a step further in the road to recovery LadyH

Kim19 Mon 28-Dec-20 17:20:59

Hello Ladyh. Yuncertainly sound very confident and upbeat. Great! Hope you're home soon. ?

Daddima Mon 28-Dec-20 17:01:30

Sorry, Lady H, of course I send get well wishes!

Daddima Mon 28-Dec-20 17:00:38

Kalu

I still call it The Suffering General but many staff call it Bettys. Queen Elizabeth University Hospital is too much of a mouthful. GUH would have been better in my humble opinion.

Hope you are well on the way to recovery LadyH and home soon. ?

Suffering General here too! It’s where our two most recent grandsons were born.

Puzzler61 Mon 28-Dec-20 16:40:35

Hello LadyHonoria . How are you feeling today? Are the antibiotics and rest doing their job and shifting the infection?
Glad to hear you don’t need to worry about your cats, but they will of course be happy to see you home a.s.a.p. ?

Kalu Sun 27-Dec-20 12:50:50

I still call it The Suffering General but many staff call it Bettys. Queen Elizabeth University Hospital is too much of a mouthful. GUH would have been better in my humble opinion.

Hope you are well on the way to recovery LadyH and home soon. ?

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 27-Dec-20 12:41:17

Thank you all for your kind wishes. The people on my close will be dropping in on the management so they'll get fed, watered and played with but they think that's a poor substitute for the real staff so I expect there will be time to be made up when I get home.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 27-Dec-20 12:38:56

It was as good a place to be as any last night, Sparklefizz. Usually I don't notice things going on outside the hospital window but I was really aware of the storm last night. There was snow on the Renfrewshire hills this morning but the sun is shining brightly now.

Sparklefizz Sun 27-Dec-20 10:45:04

Get well soon, LadyHD. Sorry to read you're in hospital and as a fellow asthmatic, I understand. flowers

GrannyGravy13 Sun 27-Dec-20 10:40:25

As a fellow asthmatic I wish you well LadyHD steroids, oxygen etc should do the trick and get you home soon

Puzzler61 Sun 27-Dec-20 10:02:08

And I too hope you have a kind neighbour who will care for your cats ?

Marydoll Sun 27-Dec-20 09:50:02

The U was baffling me, then it clicked!!! ☺

Puzzler61 Sun 27-Dec-20 09:47:52

Get Well wishes to you LadyHD. Sorry to hear you are in hospital ?

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 27-Dec-20 09:46:00

All the wheelchairs have SGUH stencilled on them! I think the boss of the Trust was angling for a knighthood.