Gransnet forums

Health

Tinnitus!

(28 Posts)
MaggieTulliver Wed 30-Dec-20 12:49:50

I'm sure this subject has been covered before but I'd be interested in any advice/tips from anyone who has tinnitus.
I've recently noticed tinnitus in just one ear which doesn't seem to bother me much during the day but is very noticeable at night when it's quiet. I'm using an app on my phone of heavy rainfall which does help mask it.

Do you have it in one ear or two and for how long have you had it? Have you learned to manage and live with it?

bridie54 Sat 09-Jan-21 23:29:53

Another 40 year sufferer here. I recently , for the first time , had wax removed from my right ear but I don’t think that made any difference. My tinnitus started after a bad head injury. It is constant high pitched hissing. Recently I had a hearing test, as I need the tv louder than MrB who wears heating aids, and was told the pattern of my slight hearing loss in my left ear, the one worst for tinnitus, was indicative of a bone injury in the inner ear. This was obviously not picked up on at the time of the injury. Anyway it is being followed up on at the end of the month ( as long as Covid doesn’t scupper my ENT appointment). Am actually hoping they suggest a hearing aid as I want to see if they help any. I might look into the white noise pillow idea.

Arsenal67 Wed 13-Jan-21 06:14:52

I have tinnitus in one ear. I wear silicone ear plugs at night. They are the ones in the pink packet from Amazon. I split one in half and put one in each ear at the entrance, when they warm up I push them in further, if I can hear my pulse, I re-position them. Makes it much better at night. During the day it’s Radio 2 so I cant hear it.