Gransnet forums

Health

Now I am totally confused can anyone help?

(18 Posts)
gangy5 Mon 04-Jan-21 17:49:56

My OM had the Pfizer vaccine before Christmas and is definitely having the second one tomorrow.
I think this week the Oxford ones are being given and all who have this one will have the 12 week wait inbeteween.

SueDonim Mon 04-Jan-21 16:36:54

Tayside is a big area. I know it’s not happening today in my mum’s area because all health services are currently closed, as they have been since last Thursday. Same in this area. There is nothing at all on the relevant websites.

Alegrias1 Mon 04-Jan-21 15:44:28

SueDonim

Nicola Sturgeon has said today that 100,000 people in Scotland have had their first vaccine.

I don’t know where all those people are but it’s not in the NE of Scotland or in the Tayside area. I’ve been looking for the latest info in those areas and apart from the ‘don’t call us, we’ll call you’ mantra, the last update was 7th December.

Just because you don;t know about it doesn't mean its not happening.

www.gov.scot/news/roll-out-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-gets-underway/

Jaxjacky Mon 04-Jan-21 15:25:35

One of our local surgeries is struggling with staff, so those scheduled to attend this Fri/Sat for their second jab have been told to turn up.

SueDonim Mon 04-Jan-21 15:07:45

Nicola Sturgeon has said today that 100,000 people in Scotland have had their first vaccine.

I don’t know where all those people are but it’s not in the NE of Scotland or in the Tayside area. I’ve been looking for the latest info in those areas and apart from the ‘don’t call us, we’ll call you’ mantra, the last update was 7th December.

Callistemon Mon 04-Jan-21 15:03:18

I've had a shielding letter saying I am top of the list, so now I may get another letter telling me how they are going to roll this out and that they'll be sending me another letter informing me when/where I can go to be vaccinated!

Lexisgranny Mon 04-Jan-21 12:35:58

For Gransnetters in Wales who may have missed today’s briefing, letters will be sent out to every household explaining how the vaccine will be rolled out. No information as to when these letters will arrive.

GagaJo Mon 04-Jan-21 11:50:11

In Jura, where I am, vaccination doesn't start until 14.01. I have young British friends in China who are getting vaccinated. Healthcare workers and teachers are the first priority. I think they have got their priorities right. People that care for them and people that educate the children.

Callistemon Mon 04-Jan-21 11:49:43

Nothing as yet Lexisgranny.

Lexisgranny Mon 04-Jan-21 10:35:10

Callistemon I just find it odd that newspapers have been full of maps highlighting English vaccine centres, whereas in Wales we have heard nothing, despite being constantly told that it is all in hand. I know of several people in their 80s who do not drive and are getting very concerned - perhaps unnecessarily, who knows?

Callistemon Mon 04-Jan-21 10:23:42

Lexisgranny I am assuming in Wales that will be after all NHS and care staff receive theirs. Certainly not heard anything yet and I will take careful note of which one I do have so they don't mix and match.
They work in a different way, don't they?

Lexisgranny Mon 04-Jan-21 09:51:41

Thanks Lisagran interesting that Wales will not comply. We do seem to do things differently here. We still haven’t been told where our vaccines will be administered though surely they must know by now. (No doubt it will be announced just as I write this!).

annsixty Mon 04-Jan-21 09:47:48

When the omni vaccine calculator was first published, I was forecast to get mine in December.
It then went to between 03/01 and 30/01.
Checking today ,it now says I should be fully covered between dates in April and May.
I had checked after reading this thread.
I am not reassured now at all.

FannyCornforth Mon 04-Jan-21 09:45:12

Thank you Lisa

janeainsworth Mon 04-Jan-21 09:40:04

I have been looking forward to being vaccinated.
But it does worry me that the vaccines have been licensed to be used in a particular way and now suggestions are being made that they be used differently.
If a vaccine is used in a way which hasn’t been tested, how can patients give informed & valid consent?
And would the pharmaceutical companies still be liable for damages if a vaccine had been administered not in accordance with instructions?

Lisagran Mon 04-Jan-21 09:37:28

In the Guardian today -
Britain is the first country in the world to approve and use the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, just as it was first with Pfizer/BioNTech’s. In a further trailblazing decision, it is giving everyone a first shot of either of those vaccines, with the second shot delayed to 12 weeks afterwards instead of the three- or four-week interval in the trials. And now it has emerged that NHS staff have permission, in limited circumstances, to mix and match the vaccines. With two different vaccines being used and supplies not guaranteed – particularly of Pfizer’s, which is in high demand around the world – the NHS in England has said people can be given a different second dose from the first, if absolutely necessary. So those who got the Pfizer jab first time around might – if supplies have run out (or if there is no record of which they had first) – be given the AstraZeneca version, says Public Health England’s Green Book for health staff on vaccine use. Scotland is following suit, although Wales says it will not

It’s not official policy, said Dr Mary Ramsay, Public Health England’s head of immunisations. “We do not recommend mixing the Covid-19 vaccines – if your first dose is the Pfizer vaccine you should not be given the AstraZeneca vaccine for your second dose and vice versa.” But on the “extremely rare occasions” where the same vaccine is unavailable or it is unknown which jab the patient received, it is “better to give a second dose of another vaccine than not at all

FannyCornforth Mon 04-Jan-21 09:33:47

I heard a similar claim on a discussion on radio 4 last night. Sorry I can't be any more help!
Don't worry , things are very much in their infancy, they need time to work things out.

Lexisgranny Mon 04-Jan-21 09:27:41

Having heard since the Pfizer vaccine was approved that the (second) top-up vaccine needed to be Pfizer, I heard the tail end of a BBC interview with a gentleman called Julian Tang (not sure of his qualifications) and I think he said it didn’t matter if you mixed them and had Pfizer then Oxford. Did anyone else see this interview, have I got it wrong?