Gransnet forums

Health

Rummage Box for Dementia

(28 Posts)
Grannmarie Sat 09-Jan-21 14:16:33

Susannah, that is a lovely comfort resource you are creating for your dear Dad.

Maybe add a small snow globe or kaleidoscope for pretty visual effects?
A magnifying glass, a small mirror?
A small purse with loose change to handle?

Sending best wishes to you in your caring role. My sisters and I cared for our lovely Mum for 10 years, dementia is a cruel disease, we just want our loved ones to be safe and content.

BlueBelle Sat 09-Jan-21 14:15:16

I d find some pre decimal coins especially like a threepenny bit and maybe a joey may bring back some memories, do you have any old fashioned sweet shop lots of towns have them now ....perhaps a few twiddle things like a kitted square with a button or two or a knitted flower etc on , a couple of dice he may not understand the numbers but may like seeing the numbers and feeling the different sides to them what about jacks he may have played with them as a child ( try a charity shop when there open )

SuzannahM Sat 09-Jan-21 14:00:26

Hi everyone
I am making a 'rummage box' for my DF who has dementia (Parkinsons). Something to keep his hands and mind busy basically. I am looking for ideas for things to put in the box. So far I have
- a cuddly toy
- a small photograph album with pics of the family
- a small jigsaw made from a pic of him and my DM
- a stress ball and soft tennis ball that he can 'scrunch' and squeeze
- crayons and a small notepad with strong paper to draw on

I've seen a special Rubiks cube with less squares per side but don't know if that would drive my DM demented if it squeaks!

Can anyone think of anything else small that he could fiddle with? His dementia is now quite advanced, so books and anything that requires him to be mentally aware are pretty much out of the question, and I don't want anything too babyish.