Gransnet forums

Health

Giving up Smoking - did you pack it up?

(28 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 10-Jan-21 17:46:25

I started work in 1962 and I started smoking because almost everyone smoked. You shared them with your friends, passing the packet round. Embassy gave coupons which you saved and ordered things from the catalogue. On pay day I bought Benson and Hedges (posh) and at the end of the month it was Cadets (cheap). I gave up in 1976 because the price had gone up to 50p and I couldn’t afford it. Best thing I ever did for my health and my pocket h,. How much does a pack of 20 cigarettes cost now?

mrsmopp Tue 19-Jan-21 23:36:55

When I packed up it was my new year resolution. I put a jam jar on the window sill and vowed to put 50p in the jar each day - the price of 20 cigarettes. I used the money to buy a sheep skin jacket which I loved. Didn’t need the jam jar after that. Mission accomplished!

silverlining48 Fri 15-Jan-21 19:28:43

I used to buy 5 untipped Weights with a friend for 11d (5p) and share the 5 th. I was very young, and extremely foolish.
Was never a heavy smoker and gave up fir good mid 70 s when I was first pregnant. Absolutely hate it and so pleased neither of my children or their partners smoke.

Luckylegs Fri 15-Jan-21 17:42:25

Like others, I started in my teens as simply everyone did, you’d have been the odd one out. I smoked then through two pregnancies (I was in hospital after having a miscarriage and was astounded that we could smoke while in bed, never mind anyone who didn’t smoke!).

I tried to give up several times, had hypnotherapy etc and finally when I was 38, I had a really bad chest infection and the cough frightened me enough to finally give up. I also didn’t want to pay £1 a packet which they were then! Thank goodness as I’ve got asthma and a dicky chest now and just really glad to be free of the tyranny of having to make sure you had the cigs, lighter etc. I don’t feel any better off though!

Pantglas2 Fri 15-Jan-21 17:30:45

The only way I managed to give up in 1981 (although not a heavy smoker) was to put the £1, which a packet cost, into a jam jar and save it each week, month etc

One lazy afternoon in Spain I worked out that I’d saved the cost of mi Casa when we bought it in 2011!

MissAdventure Fri 15-Jan-21 17:17:41

I packed up smoking and took up vaping.

Alishka Fri 15-Jan-21 16:47:46

sharon103 your tale of fags "for me dad please" and matches and a packet of Polos "for me mum please" really made me smile!

sodapop Fri 15-Jan-21 16:43:07

I gave up 40 years ago. I tried cutting down only having three a day but then found I was smoking a week on Thursday's cigarettes. I just stopped completely, apparently I was hell to live with for a while but I never started again. I have just done the same thing with chocolate, I stopped eating it a few weeks ago , just decided it was not good for me. I used to eat chocolate every night. Think the gin will stay though smile

Alishka Fri 15-Jan-21 16:43:03

I remember the Embassy coupons! Sent them off and got a cigarette box in exchange. Still use the box, but these days it holds a sewing kit for when I go away.
Smoking whilst pregnant back in the day? We lived in Italy, our Dr. called in to give us the results (DS was a planned child). He brought with him a bottle of champagne and handed round his cigarettes. His advice to me was to keep smoking to "under a pack a day". A pack = 20.

AGAA4 Fri 15-Jan-21 16:33:50

I tried a cigarette with friends when I was about 15. I have asthma so coughed and wheezed for the next 3 hours and have never smoked since.

midgey Fri 15-Jan-21 16:29:52

I gave up smoking a long time ago, but for years I would have just one puff of my mother in law’s cigarette!

Alexa Fri 15-Jan-21 16:20:42

With my friends, I started by smoking cinnamon sticks about 14 yrs old.

GardenerGran Sun 10-Jan-21 22:43:22

I started when I was about 13, casually with friends. Our local sweet and cig shop would sell them singly to us young ones! Big mistake, then hooked for many, many years off and on. Never whilst pregnant though. Easy to stop till I got stressed about something, then straight back to the cigs. I did really enjoy it though, especially with a drink or the first one of the day. I’ve smoked lots of brands as well as roll-ups. For the last 6 years I’ve been vaping and now on zero nicotine so it’s just like a dummy really and a habit. See no reason to stop as it’s very cheap and doesn’t harm me as far as I know and don’t do it near others. A brilliant invention I think that must save lives. I’ll never smoke cigarettes again and don’t miss it now.

dragonfly46 Sun 10-Jan-21 22:36:52

I started smoking at16 but stopped the minute i knew I was pregnant. I have never missed it and hate the smell!

dogsmother Sun 10-Jan-21 22:29:59

About 20 years after giving up I have the odd one when I drink now and I love, love, love it ! Love the fact I’m in charge and am no longer hooked. But really do enjoy one .

sharon103 Sun 10-Jan-21 21:05:37

My best friend and I started smoking when were about 10.
There were two shops down the road opposite each other.
I went into one shop and asked for 10 Park Drive or it might have been Woodbines, for me dad please.
My friend went into the the small shop and asked for a box of matches for me mum please and a packet of Polos.
We didn't smoke them properly, just drew the smoke into our mouth and puffed it out.
I didn't draw it back until I started work at 15.
I smoked until I was expecting my first baby in 1975. They made me feel sick and I gave them up until the start of 1987 when my husband left me.
I still smoke now. I buy two packs of 20 cigs a week which comes to about £21 and a pouch of rolling tobacco that lasts me two weeks and that's £15 something for a fortnight.
I smoke outside at the back door. I can't stand the smell of tobacco smoke inside the house.

Grannybags Sun 10-Jan-21 20:48:42

I started smoking when I was about 14. Small cigarettes, I think they were called No.10s? The newsagent would sell them to us one at a time!!

Could afford Benson & hedges when I started work aged 15 and thought I was very posh!

I had really bad 'flu in my 20s and felt too ill to smoke for a couple of weeks and never started again.

Blossoming Sun 10-Jan-21 20:44:03

I can’t stand the smell.

Kate1949 Sun 10-Jan-21 20:41:17

I've never smoked. I am guilty probably drinking too much though. My DH started smoking at 15. When we were first married he used to have one for breakfast. He gave up when they put the price up in the budget about 35 years ago. He's never had one since.

Jaxjacky Sun 10-Jan-21 20:02:12

I gave up in 2018, now I vape a much lower nicotine level.

mrsmopp Sun 10-Jan-21 19:56:22

How much?.?. £10, incredible?

Jimjam1 Sun 10-Jan-21 19:27:34

Started smoking when I was 14. Thought I looked grown up whilst doing my paper round. I would buy a packet of 5 Cadets. What a mistake. I’m still smoking now. £10 per packet.

Alexa Sun 10-Jan-21 19:12:25

I did a quickie aversion course, that I learned from a book, which lasted five days and was successful. I never wanted to smoke again.That was about 30 years ago.

Sweetchile Sun 10-Jan-21 18:58:07

Have been "clean" for 8years. I've been ill off and on ever since I gave up. I panic more and get anxiety attacks since giving up so quite understand where you're coming from EllanVallin.
Can't stand the smell of cigs now have become one of those dreadful x smokers! Still have a packet in the drawer should I get the urge.
Why is smoking and vaping still permitted outside in public places during this pandemic have you seen how far the smoke/vapour goes when its exhaled??? More than 2m

EllanVannin Sun 10-Jan-21 18:35:54

I haven't given up but I've reduced them. I probably smoke 3 maybe 4 a day. I bought a pack of 20 on Tuesday and have 3 left. I don't particularly need them but they're handy if I have an anxious moment as they tend to calm me.
I don't drink.

TwiceAsNice Sun 10-Jan-21 18:17:34

My dad bribed me as a teenager not to smoke and I never did despite most of my friends doing so. Yours later I discovered that I was missing a lung enzyme and my GP said if I had smoked it would probably have killed me pretty quickly. Thanks Dad!