Gransnet forums

Health

Question for those who have had or about to have the vaccine.

(123 Posts)
WOODMOUSE49 Mon 11-Jan-21 21:59:54

How were you notified? I'm concerned it is by phone. Our mobile signal is really poor and my phone goes to answerphone more times than not.

Also, how much notice were you given?

For couples of similar age: Have you been asked to go together?

I suspect we have quite a wait for ours (71+72). Plus Cornwall is currently not getting a large amount of the vaccine.

Thanks everyone.

Caragran Tue 12-Jan-21 10:00:19

St Helens not got their act together yet. Husband 89 got 4 underlying conditions and only been out for doctor appointments since March last year.

RPClare Tue 12-Jan-21 10:02:34

I posted on our local Facebook page to find out if any local surgeries were vaccinating. Responses gave me a number to call, which I did and got an appointment for my 87 year old husband. Next Saturday evening at a Supermarket HQ sports and leisure centre. We have heard nothing from our GP Surgery. It seems you have to sort it out yourself here.

Gramps47 Tue 12-Jan-21 10:04:40

Cornergran: that is both impressive and encouraging. Whereabouts in the country are you?

win Tue 12-Jan-21 10:05:14

My partner had a phone call yesterday, vaccine on Saturday afternoon. he is 87, I am 76 but was not asked to have mine at the same time unfortunately. No doubt my turn will come within a few weeks, but we could have avoided 2 x 40 mile journeys.

Leolady73 Tue 12-Jan-21 10:07:27

A doctor on behalf of Drinkaware has said that we should not drink alcohol for two days before and two weeks after having the Covid vaccine as this could interfere with the immunity! Does the Government know?

nipsmum Tue 12-Jan-21 10:14:17

Here in Aberdeen I haven't heard when we will get the Vaccine. I will be 80 in 3 months time. No sign of anything yet.

Aepgirl Tue 12-Jan-21 10:17:25

Woodmouse how can you manage with a mobile phone that doesn’t pick up calls, and a landline that only goes to answerphone?

At our age it is important to be able to have contacts in case of emergency.

Mollygo Tue 12-Jan-21 10:21:33

Leolady73 I read something similar in the New Scientist. There’s a lot of info out there about it but it doesn’t help when they can’t agree about amounts and time, e.g. some say 2 days, other 6 weeks. One source said 12 UK measures of vodka would suppress the immune system but a glass of champagne would be OK.
Your Drinkaware doc sounds a sensible compromise. ,
If you’re a daily drinker and get called in to use up vaccine, should you refuse it?

Patsyanna Tue 12-Jan-21 10:28:41

Hubby (81) received phone call from GP to have vaccine at another larger surgery on 19 December at 7:25pm. After having jab, they made appointment for 2nd jab which he received last Saturday 8:40pm. No underlying conditions (except age).
I am waiting for my call. My daughter 57, has had her first dose as she was in “ right place at right time” using left over vaccines.

Sheila2626 Tue 12-Jan-21 10:33:35

I am a foster carer now counted as a key worker. I was phoned yesterday to have vaccine today.

Tish Tue 12-Jan-21 10:38:46

Woodmouse49, perhaps you could contact your local surgery and ask them how they will try and contact you, if by telephone, advise them of the difficulties... good luck.

vegansrock Tue 12-Jan-21 10:40:38

I was passed a phone number via social media from a large local teaching hospital asking for anyone over 70 . I phoned, got through and have had the 1st jab today. Lots of hospital staff getting theirs at the same time. Thank you NHS.

Witzend Tue 12-Jan-21 10:46:33

My sister and BiL have imminent appointments - they’re in fairly rural N Yorks. Both are over 75 but not by much.

Dh and I - a few years younger - are not expecting ours until late Feb - mid March. ?

Paperbackwriter Tue 12-Jan-21 11:02:18

WOODMOUSE49 If you worry that you will miss a call on your landline by working outside, just dial 1471 each time you come in to see if you've missed anything.
Cornwall has been very keen to keep 'outsiders' off the premises to the point of serious hostility, which I hate, but on the upside it means you are at very low risk of infection compared with everyone else. Swings/roundabouts. I'm sure you'll get plenty of vaccine in due course.

Paperbackwriter Tue 12-Jan-21 11:03:37

Leolady73

A doctor on behalf of Drinkaware has said that we should not drink alcohol for two days before and two weeks after having the Covid vaccine as this could interfere with the immunity! Does the Government know?

Oh lordy, that's me scuppered then!

Niobe Tue 12-Jan-21 11:07:03

My husband (76) got a phone call from our GP’s surgery this morning to get the vaccine in 2 days. He does have heart disease so I think he is getting it a little earlier than other 76 year olds. He has to go to the local Town Hall about 2 miles away.

beverly10 Tue 12-Jan-21 11:08:10

Woodmouse49
Who says Cornwall is not getting' large' (depends on what you deem large) amounts of vaccine. I live in CW and persons I know who would be getting the vac have had it.
NO problem what so ever.

Bijou Tue 12-Jan-21 11:13:08

I am housebound and it is too painful for me to get in a car but had a phone call to say that they will get around to me eventually.
My neighbour had hers last week but had to travel twenty miles away. He son was able to take her. Another neighbour lives alone and has no one to take her but eventually the loc al surgery will get supplies.

Lizzie44 Tue 12-Jan-21 11:15:37

I had a phone call (landline) on Friday - my phone showed the caller as "number withheld". It was my GP surgery inviting me for vaccination the next morning (Saturday) at a large GP practice about 5 miles away which has facilities to store the Pfizer vaccine at the correct temperature. Good news though the second jab won't be for "at least 3 to 4 months". I'm 77 and my surgery was doing the 80s to 75s in strict date of birth order. My husband (also 77) is registered with a different practice and he has heard nothing other than a message "you will be notified of your appointment in due course - please do not contact us".

SillyNanny321 Tue 12-Jan-21 11:30:10

Heard nothing here yet. Supposed to be in the vulnerable category & 76 so guess it will be a longer wait until all the really needy ones get theirs. We are a bit ‘out of the way’ so hope I will not have to travel too far but will if necessary. There are hopefully some cabs still working???

vegansrock Tue 12-Jan-21 11:33:13

Leolady73
Thank goodness I’m doing Dry January

Lizzie44 Tue 12-Jan-21 11:45:18

A man at my vaccination session asked the doctor if he could drink alcohol straightaway. The doctor said that there were three possible short-term after-effects of the vaccine - sore arm, headache, feeling of being tired. He then added that two of those three could be made worse with consumption of alcohol but otherwise no problem...

Greciangirl Tue 12-Jan-21 11:49:32

I find it odd that 70plus people are being given it in certain parts of the country.

Surely they haven’t finished doing the over the 80’s yet.

Nannatwiglet Tue 12-Jan-21 11:51:39

We live in West Yorkshire. Received a mobile text message on 8th Jan to ring surgery to book for an apt for vaccine jab.
Rang surgery 11th Jan and a recorded surgery message mentioned “alert anyone over 72 to come forward to book their jab”.
I am 73 and my H is 74. He is “vulnerable” yet he didn’t receive a message at all.
We are both booked to have our jabs on Wed 13th Jan.Appointments are 40mins apart as we didn’t want to make two separate journeys by car. We shall have to travel about 3 miles across the city to another surgery which is larger than ours.

Some 80+year old friends in rural North Somerset & Devon had their vaccines in December and have just had their second ones after three weeks.
However, my 86 year old invalid sister who lives on her own in Surrey hasn’t been contacted at all...yet....

NannyC1 Tue 12-Jan-21 11:52:09

sector9
I have multiple lung problem I 've had the Pfizer vaccine. Absolutely no problems.