Gransnet forums

Health

Question for those who have had or about to have the vaccine.

(122 Posts)
WOODMOUSE49 Mon 11-Jan-21 21:59:54

How were you notified? I'm concerned it is by phone. Our mobile signal is really poor and my phone goes to answerphone more times than not.

Also, how much notice were you given?

For couples of similar age: Have you been asked to go together?

I suspect we have quite a wait for ours (71+72). Plus Cornwall is currently not getting a large amount of the vaccine.

Thanks everyone.

SuzieHi Mon 11-Jan-21 22:10:40

My dad who is 96 got a letter this morning - within it were phone numbers to ring to make an appointment. Not easy to get through- not achieved yet!

I guess if you’re similar ages you’ll get a letter each in a week or two judging by your ages. You could wait for both to arrive then make appointments together?

I’m sure Cornwall will get it’s fair share of the vaccine!

grannysyb Mon 11-Jan-21 22:15:00

DH had a call this morning with an appointment for Thursday, followed by a letter later in the morning from the NHS regarding vaccinations.

NotTooOld Mon 11-Jan-21 22:16:17

It will all pan out, Woodmouse. It is very much in the government's interest to get us all vaccinated. I don't know about your surgery but ours says it will make contact by phone. Do you have your phone permanently set to answerphone or is it on the blink? For peace of mind I'd get your phone fixed then phone the surgery and tell them always to call your landline. People round here have been given 4 or 5 days notice I believe.

Greenfinch Mon 11-Jan-21 22:31:08

DH had his first in December. He was contacted by phone and given 2 days notice. In early January the same thing happened for his second dose.I am not in the same age group so did not have mine.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 11-Jan-21 22:38:20

NotTooOld

It will all pan out, Woodmouse. It is very much in the government's interest to get us all vaccinated. I don't know about your surgery but ours says it will make contact by phone. Do you have your phone permanently set to answerphone or is it on the blink? For peace of mind I'd get your phone fixed then phone the surgery and tell them always to call your landline. People round here have been given 4 or 5 days notice I believe.

It's a time like this our remote cottage is a disadvantage. Can 't see our neighbours.

Phones are OK - Our mobile signal is poor inside the cottage (that's when it goes to answerphone) but better when outside.

We work outside quite a lot in good weather. Landline doesn't have answerphone.

silverdragon Mon 11-Jan-21 22:42:40

Mum & dad were notified by phone and their appointments were one after the other. I think it was a week's notice.

sector9 Mon 11-Jan-21 22:44:51

Hello, Anyone had the pfizer biontech vaccine that also has health conditions like asthma and heart valves issues? I'm worried about getting the vaccine and there's not enough information for people with these conditions, I'm lost for answers, looking to see if anyone with similar conditions have had the pfizer vaccine. Kind Regards.

paddyanne Mon 11-Jan-21 23:01:05

My MIL is getting hers tomorrow ,she was called today to say they'll administer it at home for her.She's 86 and in North Lanarkshire has spent almost all of the past 10 months on her own so she's very happy to be getting her first dose now .

cornergran Mon 11-Jan-21 23:17:26

Text message on Friday last week with slots for vaccine on Wednesday this week for Mr C. Our surgery has been phoning people without mobile numbers, all over 80’s who wanted a vaccine have had one, care homes also vaccinated. They are now on 75+ people. We’re very impressed.

B9exchange Mon 11-Jan-21 23:51:03

80 year old neighbour was told at 10.00 am this morning that her appointment was tomorrow. Son is recovering from a bug (non-Covid) so fingers crossed she will make it!

SueDonim Tue 12-Jan-21 00:06:18

No one I know has had the vaccine yet.

Marydoll Tue 12-Jan-21 00:29:05

Me neither, SueDonim and I know quite a few 80 year old here in Glasgow.

bikergran Tue 12-Jan-21 08:57:26

North lancashire here, my dad is 85 health issues, not heard anything as yet

B9exchange Tue 12-Jan-21 09:11:59

The local centre keeps you standing for 30 minutes in the cold waiting to go in, and cooped up in a room with many others for 15 minutes afterwards. If I am sent there, I will be putting on as many easily removable layers as I can, taking a flask of coffee, and taking it in turns with my husband to wait in the queue whilst the other one keeps warm in the car. Anti viral spray up my nose, mask on, and trying my best not to get too close to anyone else!

PECS Tue 12-Jan-21 09:19:17

Different areas have different approaches..some call on the number you provided when you registered & follow upbwith a letter..other places the letter arrives first. Different areas are rolling outcat different times due to the logistics i.e. transport, of the vaccines arriving different places. Near hear a practice was all set up to go but the vaccine did not arrive as planned. There will be hiccups..it is a massive undertaking..

25Avalon Tue 12-Jan-21 09:19:47

Woodmouse49 as it is a landline have you registered for BT’s 1571 answering service? It used to be free. Not sure if it still is.

Pittcity Tue 12-Jan-21 09:19:58

Notification is by the means that your GP has on file as your preferred method of communication.

lilyH Tue 12-Jan-21 09:38:53

Woodmouse49, like you we live in remote West Cornwall where mobiles only work upstairs or outside! It would be sensible to replace your phone with a model with an answerphone attached not just for the vaccine but everything else x

Florida12 Tue 12-Jan-21 09:44:46

I am currently shielding, I have the government letters to say around mid feb for mine. Then a text on Sunday from GP’s surgery, they are aiming for 6th Feb provided there is capacity at the local drill hall.

Liz46 Tue 12-Jan-21 09:54:58

A neighbour, who is in her eighties, had a phone call at 8.15 on a Sunday morning asking her if she would like to get her vaccination the next day.

We saw her again yesterday and she had just been for her second one and was very impressed by the efficiency (Wirral).

ISHMA Tue 12-Jan-21 09:55:41

I received text from Gp surgery.yesterday 11thJan I phone surgery and booked for vaccine for 14thJan . I’m 73 and vulnerable due to Health and age . Scared but have decided to take up the vaccine

Megs36 Tue 12-Jan-21 09:56:10

I had a text on my mobile invitingboth of us to make an appointment, today’s the day?
Since our message several people I know have had the same and one had a letter for one of the new hubs , this was too far ,after phoning it was changed to somewhere closer.

ForeverAutumn Tue 12-Jan-21 09:59:57

I'm not expecting a vaccination just yet (70 in a couple of months) but for the flu vaccination I received a letter and a text message. As you have a mobile phone it may be worth asking your surgery if they can text notifications to you.

Mohum Tue 12-Jan-21 10:00:04

Hubby (78)got call thurs and vaccine fri. Be warned the centres are very cold. Think they were working down the list to dopeople who were able to travel. Housebound people should be soon as they were waiting for the oxford vaccine to become available.