Gransnet forums

Health

Question for those who have had or about to have the vaccine.

(123 Posts)
WOODMOUSE49 Mon 11-Jan-21 21:59:54

How were you notified? I'm concerned it is by phone. Our mobile signal is really poor and my phone goes to answerphone more times than not.

Also, how much notice were you given?

For couples of similar age: Have you been asked to go together?

I suspect we have quite a wait for ours (71+72). Plus Cornwall is currently not getting a large amount of the vaccine.

Thanks everyone.

Lindaylou55 Tue 12-Jan-21 14:37:18

An area in South Lanarkshire are vaccinating elderly housebound this week. Although I live in this area my doctor is in Dumfries & Galloway and the Flu vaccination was a complete farce, we only got ours in middle of December. Not holding much hope for my 82 year old mother in law getting hers anytime soon.

Lettice Tue 12-Jan-21 14:52:11

Here in Edinburgh. Doctor 'phoned and we made appointment for eight days away. Surgery has both my mobile and landline numbers. Over 80, so getting the vaccine quite early.

Vivvywoo Tue 12-Jan-21 14:57:56

In North Tyneside my 82 year old sister and her husband both had their 2nd vaccine on Sunday, 3 weeks after first. Contacted by phone originally. Both appointments at local community centre were so well organised.

fluttERBY123 Tue 12-Jan-21 15:14:38

We were called on our landline. Dh had called surgery and receptionist put us on some list. Both over 80. Caller made appts for both of us at same time of day. This was about a week or 10 days before the appts. We went in together for the jabs. Now we don't know if the further appts for second jab will stand. Will.assume so.if we hear nothing to the contrary.

Jennyluck Tue 12-Jan-21 16:37:14

I had the vaccine through work. I work for the nhs and am classed as vulnerable. I shielded the first time and am sheilding again. But before lockdown I was contacted to see if I’d have it. I then had to ring up and book my appointment at another hospital. I had the first one 3 weeks ago, my 2nd appointment for this week has been cancelled until March. I am gutted because I only missed out having my 2nd one by a few days.
It was all good though , didn’t hurt and no side effects.

EmilyHarburn Tue 12-Jan-21 18:39:27

I picked up the land line phone and was asked if we would like a vaccine in 2 days time said yes. It was tents on a car park of a larger local health center. On the day I put on 2 vests one opera top and one short sleeved, one short sleeved jersey, one wool waist coat, 1 long sleeved heavy wool cardigan, one winter coat. I took a stool in case I had to queue. We arrived early. I asked the fireman on duty if we should wait, told to go ahead, all fine, no pain in arm or after effects. We waited after the vaccine for 15 minutes in a chilly tent just in case we had an anaphalactic shock. So glad I also had long johns, wool socks, leg warmers and heavy duty jeans on and boots!!!

I pitied the poor lady in a wheel chair in tights and light weight lace up shoes.

Absolutely no after effects whatsoever. Arm fine and no fatigue or other symptoms.

harrigran Wed 13-Jan-21 08:09:47

DH got a text message to ring a dedicated number, he has an appointment tomorrow night. DH is 76, all over 80s have been vaccinated in our area.
Not a good idea to ask about vaccination on FB, you could be scammed, only NHS will contact you.

grannie7 Wed 13-Jan-21 14:18:07

I got a text message on Sunday to call our surgery on Monday to make an appointment I am 76 and my husband 79 he had not had a call so when I rang for my appointment I asked why hadn’t my DH had a message receptionist hadn’t a clue but said would I like to bring him with me which I of cause agreed
answered all the questions for us both dh busy doing the crossword lol.
we are getting ours at a surgery in our village.I do know that the two surgeries in our village worked Friday through Sunday
and got all our over 80’s done as well as the local care homes.

We are very lucky with our local doctors and surgery nurses they are all fantastic.
My dd works front line NHS caring for elderly patients in their
home so was very happy that she got her jab yesterday.

grannie7 Wed 13-Jan-21 14:21:08

Hadn’t not had

annodomini Wed 13-Jan-21 15:35:49

It was announced that our practice would have mass vaccination of patients of 80 or over this Friday and Saturday. I then had a text this morning asking me to click on a link to choose a slot and when I'd done this I received a confirmatory text, so Saturday at 11.30 it is.

Nannatwiglet Wed 13-Jan-21 18:39:53

Just had our vaccines this afternoon two days after making a booking. (We live in West Yorkshire.)
We had to wait in our car for 15 minutes as there was nowhere to queue or shelter in the teeming rain...but we were dealt with on a conveyor belt system. Didn’t realise I’d had the jab! Back in 3months time!

llizzie2 Thu 14-Jan-21 02:37:13

My GP surgery called me Wednesday pm to arrange an appointment for the vaccine. I explained I cannot get to the surgery. Not everyone can make it. I have a wheelchair and the pavements are too narrow for me now. I daren't cross the road on it either. I used to when I was younger.

She said someone will come to me and phone me Thursday. I think that is lovely. I have never had a flu vaccine because I do not know how I will react with my disabilities, which include autoimmune problems, and I do not mix with people, but I want to see my children again, and if a vaccine makes that possible, I will risk it.

EkwaNimitee Thu 14-Jan-21 09:23:08

I got a text message from my Gp on my smartphone yesterday which included a link to a booking site. This offered a choice of times today so I simply clicked on one and had the appointment immediately confirmed. Really quick and easy. The vaccinations are actually being done at a bigger practice nearby. I'm 76 btw and this is a whole month before I was expecting it.

Alegrias1 Thu 14-Jan-21 09:28:24

DF and DM had a phone call on Tuesday asking if they could come to the local doctors' surgery on Friday afternoon. So they are scheduled for that (woo hoo!). They are both going at the same time.

Their friend, who is in her nineties, was offered a slot late afternoon but she was worried about going out alone in the dark, so they immediately found her a slot at 1pm.

BlueSky Thu 14-Jan-21 09:46:25

I guess if you have the vaccine at your GP surgery it will be the Oxford AZ one? Are we told which one beforehand?

Purpledaffodil Thu 14-Jan-21 09:48:48

Pleased that vaccinations happening somewhere. Here in N Surrey all we've had is texts from Health Centre saying in effect “Don’t bother us, we’re not doing vaccinations “. We are 4th category but know of nobody above us who has been vaccinated. ?

blondenana Thu 14-Jan-21 23:33:08

My sister who lives in the Blackpool area had hers last week, notified by phone 2 days notice at her Drs surgery, no ill effect she is 75,
My daughters mother in law has hers on Monday she is 85 notified by phone,done locally but not at her surgery.
According to the vaccine calculater i should have mine between the 29th of January and 10th of February, nice birthday present for me if so 78 then

BlueSapphire Sat 16-Jan-21 10:47:05

In 75 and had a text on Thursday, and have booked for next Thursday. The text gave me a link to book. It was legit, as I checked with the surgery, and they also gave information out on Facebook.

lemsip Sat 16-Jan-21 11:16:30

BlueSkye. Why would you guess?

BlueSky Sat 16-Jan-21 11:52:00

lemsip

BlueSkye. Why would you guess?

Lemsip because the Oxford AZ can be kept in a normal surgery fridge?

grannysyb Sat 16-Jan-21 13:42:53

DH had his on Thursday, surgery phoned him, he doesn't have any side effects. I have just found a text sent yesterday inviting me for mine which I have just booked for next Thursday. They are using a local community centre for the vaccine rollout. Very pleased, they have obviously finished his over 80 age group, I'm 73.

Puzzled Sat 16-Jan-21 14:01:20

Was called last Monday, and offered Tuesday, Thursday or Friday.
Opted for 11:00 Friday. (Yesterday ) Took longer to answer all the questions than to have the jab. Painless, was sitting for the post Pfizer 15 mins just on 11:00.
After lunch arm ached a little, and felt very slightly chilly. Fell fast asleep in the chair for an hour at about 4:00 pm.
Have felt quite normal since.
OH turned 80 this week, so wonder when the call will come.
Not long I hope!

sector9 Sat 16-Jan-21 20:01:09

Hello, I read the links sent to me but they are highly technical. I would like really like to know people's real experiences that have asthma and have noticed anything unusual with their health. Thank you.
ps. Anyone found an easy way to only view your own posts on this forum? I spent half an hour looking for what I wrote.

Paperbackwriter Mon 18-Jan-21 12:34:59

Woodmouse49 "We should just welcome them with open arms according to you. "
I didn't say that or anything remotely like it. I have seen a lot of hostility on various media sites, some of which are extremely offensive to 2nd home owners and anyone who might even consider visiting. Many even claim that you can 'tell' if people aren't local. Really? Cornwall's wish to stay isolated from everyone else is - believe it or not - a feeling shared by the entire nation. We ALL want people to stay at home. (Also, point of interest, you have several hospitals. None of them are on a level with Treliske of course but you do have more facilities than just that)
Actually, all my post to you was about was a suggestion as to how to help with your phone problems. If you found something to take offence about I'm really surprised.

Sunnyoutlook Fri 22-Jan-21 21:16:24

I was 70 twelve days ago and had a shingles jab four days ago. Found out you have to wait 7 days after the shingles jab before you can have the coronavirus vaccine. Have had to pass on 2 appointments for the vaccine already. Wish the surgery had postponed the shingles jab.