Gransnet forums

Health

So - now masks protect the wearer?

(165 Posts)
ExD Wed 13-Jan-21 17:22:48

To begin with we were told that we wore our masks in order to prevent us from spreading the covid virus to other people - remember "I wear my mask to protect HIM".

Now we're told we wear then to protect ourselves!

How can we be sure this isn't a load of propaganda to make sure we all wear masks? (not that I object to wearing a mask)

Lucca Thu 14-Jan-21 19:04:19

Ex D you seem to be anti most precauctions . Didn’t you have a thread doubting the efficacy of the vaccine ? I’m still wondering what you suggest should happen ?? No vaccine ? No masks ?

MayBee70 Thu 14-Jan-21 19:13:18

At the start of the pandemic the WHO didn’t seem to say anything that hadn’t had double blind trials/been peer reviewed etc. Even things such as wearing masks where doing so couldn’t possibly do any harm and might just do some good. But pandemic response doesn’t have time to wait for all of that: the exception being the vaccines that have been tested thoroughly. People wore masks during the Spanish flu pandemic: doctors and nurses wear masks to avoid getting infected or infecting people. So where did the idea that wearing masks wouldn’t work come from. Didn’t help that the WHO didn’t acknowledge that the virus was airborne in some way either and it then took ages to persuade people otherwise.

Grannynannywanny Thu 14-Jan-21 19:24:00

Hopefully if it’s now said that masks also protect the wearer it might encourage more of the “I’m alright Jack” section of the population to wear it.

Sadly, too many folk are only interested in taking action if it’s for their own benefit.

M0nica Thu 14-Jan-21 20:50:12

Gloves are fine if you use the hand sanitiser as you would with bare hands. In fact I use far more sanitiser when I am wearing gloves than I do when not wearing them..

If the disease cannot be transferred by touch, why from day one have we been told to wash our hands frequently and use the hand sanitiser every time we go into a shop or return home. The supermarkets wipe down the handles of trolleys, shops wipe surfaces, shop assistants wear gloves. In fact the whole marketing of antiseptic wipes is based on the dangers of transfer by touch.

Even to day the government I have seen government adverts banging on on the subject.

Elegran Thu 14-Jan-21 20:57:52

rosie1959 It is wearing the mask that lessens infection. Having it round your neck, under your nose, across your forehead, in your pocket or left at home doesn't work.

rosie1959 Thu 14-Jan-21 21:00:02

I only mentioned gloves after reading numerous articles saying they are not a good idea Of course the virus can be transferred by touch but cant see the difference gloves make

Elegran Thu 14-Jan-21 21:08:42

If you wash your hands a lot, you can end up with them red and sore. Wearing gloves and washing them is better for your skin. Wearing gloves and not washing them or throwing them away doesn't stop the infection. They are not magic wands.

Lucca Thu 14-Jan-21 21:45:41

Lucca

Ex D you seem to be anti most precauctions . Didn’t you have a thread doubting the efficacy of the vaccine ? I’m still wondering what you suggest should happen ?? No vaccine ? No masks ?

And answer came there none.

Biscuitmuncher Thu 14-Jan-21 22:21:15

There's no way on this earth am I wearing the bloody things outside! They don't work, they do work! Who do you believe!

Grannynannywanny Thu 14-Jan-21 22:42:52

Well there’s one thing you can believe is 100% fact.. they don’t work at all if you don’t wear them.

NotSpaghetti Thu 14-Jan-21 22:43:14

Lots of articles here:
scholar.google.com/scholar?as_ylo=2020&q=covid+and+mask+use&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5

NotSpaghetti Thu 14-Jan-21 22:44:40

Please just go and read a few research studies.
Mask wearing does reduce the spread.

NotSpaghetti Thu 14-Jan-21 22:46:52

And here are some on the protection of the wearer:
scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&as_ylo=2020&q=face+covering+protect+wearer+from+covid&btnG=

M0nica Thu 14-Jan-21 23:08:19

Biscuitmuncher, why not think it through for yourself, it is not rocket science and doesn't require a PhD in chemistry.

ExD Fri 15-Jan-21 09:36:48

Did my post sound as though I was trying to think up ways of not wearing them?
I haven't answered because I've been surprised by the hostile personal replies.
I was only making a casual throw-away remark as I was curious.

henetha Fri 15-Jan-21 10:34:45

I think common sense tells us that wearing a mask works both ways.

buleeyedsusan Fri 15-Jan-21 10:41:34

Excellent! Clear and to the point.

Kiplet Fri 15-Jan-21 10:58:03

Wonder how many coughs and colds have been prevented by wearing masks..

M0nica Fri 15-Jan-21 13:57:30

I think ExD that as the use of masks is so universal, regardless of COVID, in hospitals, on building sites, in factories, anywhere there is dust or fumes or infection or fear of infection because it protects the user, that to hear someone wondering whether masks work sounds very 'off', as if they might also be an antivaxxer who doubts whether any vaccine ever really works.

I am sure you are not a flat earther, but sometimes you sound like one.

Biscuitmuncher Fri 15-Jan-21 14:44:44

MOnica if masks work why are things getting worse

Lucca Fri 15-Jan-21 14:51:35

Because of other factors of course plus not everyone wearing them plus we should be wearing them everywhere (ok not in the countryside) plus people meeting up indoors plus people going for walks in large groups etc etc plus Christmas etc

growstuff Fri 15-Jan-21 17:15:00

Biscuitmuncher

MOnica if masks work why are things getting worse

Because people don't wear them, especially in risky situations, such as the home and educational settings.

Elegran Fri 15-Jan-21 17:38:10

If you have seen everyone wearing a mask, everywhere, at all times, if they are less than two metres or six and a half feet, apart you would be justified in asking "Why don't masks work?". (and that is the very minimum, A fit of coughing, or a conversation shouting at someone, or sitting in a confined space where your breath could be leaking out of the sides of the mask and hanging around, could carry the virus further than two metres)
If you have seen people without a mask, then it is obvious that just the authorities saying that people should wear a mask isn't going to be enough.

Biscuitmuncher Fri 15-Jan-21 18:08:20

growstuff you expect people to wear masks in home?

MayBee70 Fri 15-Jan-21 18:15:06

Workmen, cleaners etc. Until recently even my neighbours carers were turning up without masks: ditto another neighbours cleaner. I haven’t seen my grandchildren for almost a year, even when it was allowed, but if I had done so eg at Christmas I would have worn a mask.