Gransnet forums

Health

So - now masks protect the wearer?

(164 Posts)
ExD Wed 13-Jan-21 17:22:48

To begin with we were told that we wore our masks in order to prevent us from spreading the covid virus to other people - remember "I wear my mask to protect HIM".

Now we're told we wear then to protect ourselves!

How can we be sure this isn't a load of propaganda to make sure we all wear masks? (not that I object to wearing a mask)

Lucca Wed 13-Jan-21 17:26:26

Does it matter ?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 13-Jan-21 17:28:47

Of course it does but to a much lesser degree. We have always known that, it isn’t new. Anything is better than nothing isn’t it?

Esspee Wed 13-Jan-21 17:28:50

The Westminster government has lost all credibility with their constant contradictions and u-turns, you can understand why people are fed up.

Lucretzia Wed 13-Jan-21 17:31:50

We were originally told masks didn't work. No need for them.WHO told us this.

That changed to wearing it for others

Now it helps the wearer as well.

This is nothing to do with the government. They are informed of changes in ideas and act accordingly.

Kate54 Wed 13-Jan-21 17:35:08

I don’t think the ‘science’ has changed. By wearing a mask you are protecting others. But if course if everyone wears one, the end result is that you are protecting yourself as well. If you see what I mean!

Kate54 Wed 13-Jan-21 17:35:50

If=of

Casdon Wed 13-Jan-21 17:56:48

Here’s a rationale, which I thought was quite powerful.

ginny Wed 13-Jan-21 18:07:29

Whoever it protects, at least it is protecting someone.

Jane621 Wed 13-Jan-21 18:10:47

Why not wear a mask out in public anyhow. It cannot do any harm.

lemsip Wed 13-Jan-21 18:17:19

nit picking.

TerriBull Wed 13-Jan-21 18:22:28

It's a bit like coffee, eggs and red wine, the latter in moderation of course, At times we have or are told they are bad for us and then conversely other findings will say how beneficial they are.

ElaineI Wed 13-Jan-21 18:22:43

It protects both as well as 2m distance and all the other things we are asked to do. Picture is a good example Casdon so thanks. Best example for me was seeing peoples breath when it is cold outside and the mix of breath when people are talking even 2m apart without masks.

Nortsat Wed 13-Jan-21 18:24:02

I read about a study in Holland, that suggested some benefit to wearers. It was not conclusive but evidence is emerging that this may be the case.

I am wearing a mask outside all the time now.
On another GN thread today, there was some skepticism on this issue.

TerriBull Wed 13-Jan-21 18:24:20

Who was it who said when the facts change, I change my mind or opinion ?? Lets face it viruses mutate and evolve constantly.

Mollygo Wed 13-Jan-21 18:28:23

Love the positive responses on this thread. Just wear a mask. Great picture Casdon.
Lots of effort has been made to make it easier to wear a mask if you find it difficult. e.g. the plastic frame that holds the mask away from your face has made it easier for some.
Since most of the droplets come from our mouths, perhaps those who find wearing masks difficult for whatever reason or simply refuse to wear them, could compromise by not talking e.g when out shopping.

BlueSky Wed 13-Jan-21 18:33:52

Well I’ve always thought that was the case anyway! We wear them outside now in busy areas, but not when walking in quiet areas where we hardly meet anybody else.

GrannyOwl5 Wed 13-Jan-21 18:36:19

Does it matter? For goodness sake, just wear the damned thing!

M0nica Thu 14-Jan-21 14:50:02

It has been clear since day 1 of the first lockdown that a mask both protects you and protects others. I find it unbelievable that others cannot work that out for themselves as well.

I have worn masks - and disposable gloves - wherever I an out and expected to touch anything, right from the start. As a precaution I always have a pair in my pocket.

I also wear them to protect myself from people like the OP, Those people constantly looking for the tiniest reasons to object to every sensible precaution we are asked to take, for no reason I can see other than a desire to be different or difficult. They are far more dangerous than those that blatantly break the law, because one cannot trust them.

Elegran Thu 14-Jan-21 15:20:37

You ask "How can we be sure this isn't a load of propaganda to make sure we all wear masks?" Yes, it is meant to persuade us to wear them. It is also true. The two are not either/or, they are and/and.

So what possible reason could the experts and the government have for putting out "propaganda to make sure we all wear masks"

The only sensible reason that comes to mind is that masks are going to make fewer people succumb to the virus. We then just need to decide whether that a sinister reason, which should make us instantly and automatically do the opposite?, or is it a good reason, which should convince us to wear the damn thing and get protection for ourselves and for others? The is really only one answer, isn't there?

Galaxy Thu 14-Jan-21 15:23:07

I think it's the opposite other countries were using masks a lot earlier that the UK. Johnson hates the idea of masks.

M0nica Thu 14-Jan-21 18:04:08

Perhaps the OP could explain why the government would bother putting out propaganda to make sure we all wear masks, if there wasn't a very good reason?

All that hassle, all that police involvement to make us do something pointless during a pandemic confused

Shinamae Thu 14-Jan-21 18:13:20

Casdon

Here’s a rationale, which I thought was quite powerful.

Very powerful....??

Shinamae Thu 14-Jan-21 18:15:58

Even more powerful with the image!!!...?

rosie1959 Thu 14-Jan-21 18:29:50

I often wonder if wearing a mask prevents infection why have we got so many cases
Gloves are a no no and not recommended at all unless you change them everytime you touch something Coronavirus does not enter through the skin