Gransnet forums

Health

Doctors told to bin leftover vaccines instead of administering second doses.

(123 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 16-Jan-21 18:36:04

The revelation comes as hospitals become increasingly overwhelmed by the surge of COVID patients as the virus continues to spread across the UK.

GPs setting up vaccine clinics at short notice who find they have several injection doses left have reportedly been warned by local authorities that they cannot use them on staff or any patients who have already received their first jab.

Medics claim the policy, which has been described as “bordering on criminal”, is hampering the effort to vaccinate over-80s, along with frontline health and care workers.

The instructions are being reported across the country, according to The Telegraph.

Dr Robert Morely, director of professional support at the Birmingham Local Medical Committee, told the publication that the orders are "extremely counterproductive, nonsensical and ludicrous".

He said: “This is ridiculous, bordering on the criminal, to actually be wasting vaccines when you have the worst global healthcare crisis for a century."

uk.yahoo.com/news/doctos-throw-out-leftover-vaccines-second-doses-nhs-england-154924350.html

Yiayia4 Sun 17-Jan-21 08:19:36

My sons police station is opposite a vaccination site,If any vaccine is left at the end of the day police on duty are invited to have it.

Chewbacca Sun 17-Jan-21 10:46:40

Was this another fake news then?

GagaJo Sun 17-Jan-21 10:49:09

vampirequeen

Dr Robert Morely, director of professional support at the Birmingham Local Medical Committee, told the publication that the orders are "extremely counterproductive, nonsensical and ludicrous"

Why would someone like Dr Robert Morely lie?

Dr Brian McGregor, a GP who chairs the BMA's Yorkshire regional committee, told the Telegraph that NHS England ordered his local clinical commissioning group to throw away any unused doses.

McGregor claimed they had been warned they would be "performance managed" on the issue.

Why would someone like Dr Brian McGregor lie?

Doesn't sound fake to me.

It's right up there with 'world beating test and trace', closed borders that were not closed, giving 2nd doses after 12 weeks instead of 3.

Peasblossom Sun 17-Jan-21 10:51:31

Just to say, interviewed on the Andrew Marr show today, the Head of NHS England has said “every drop” should be used, none thrown away.

Regardless of where the story originated, that’s absolutely clear now. Both he and Chris Whitty have put any misunderstanding to bed. So nothing should go to waste.

GagaJo Sun 17-Jan-21 10:54:06

Great that the media coverage has resolved that issue. I absolutely agree. This is life saving. Every dose used is one more step towards reducing the death count of the pandemic.

PippaZ Sun 17-Jan-21 11:00:36

I'm not sure why anyone would believe that this government would not do such a thing. Of course they would if they had thought about it.

Thankfully I don't think the doctors, nurses, etc., would willingly go along with this.

Alegrias1 Sun 17-Jan-21 11:10:04

What have the government go to do with this? What would be the objective of the government in telling the front line doctors not to use all the vaccines available to them?

The yahoo article and all the other articles reporting this are trying to conflate the instructions to discard vaccines once they have passed their "use by" time with the letter from the NHS saying that one dose should be given right now. Some local health boards have issued confusing information which people think would be better discussed on national news media, instead of clarifying the instructions with the NHS.

But of course the press are not trying to whip up discontent, of course not....

MawBe Sun 17-Jan-21 11:25:55

And then, like Chinese Whispers, speculation becomes a “truth” and the public is guaranteed to react and overreact to a non-story.
Like those questioning headlines to which the answer is invariably “No
“Was X Prince Philip’s love child?” “Is Edward gay?” “Have doctors been told to bin left over vaccine?”
but the mud has been thrown and somebody somewhere will be convinced of the truth and pass it on because they “ read it in the paper”, or nowadays, “Saw it on the internet”. You know the saying “Never let the facts get in the way of a good story” ?
My father had a provincial newspaper and was forever preaching “Check your sources” (most likely to avoid being sued!)

PippaZ Sun 17-Jan-21 11:26:51

Don't you think we need to be discontented? If people are politicising any part of the pandemic - just as Johnson has done by blaming the "others" rather than his inability to lead in difficult times, then I think we should challenge anything and everything.

The good thing is that, as far as I can tell in our area, if doses are going to be unused then they are calling others - the younger vulnerable and front line people - in.

Alegrias1 Sun 17-Jan-21 11:32:33

I don't think we need to be discontented about everything PippaZ. I've very discontented about the way the WM government has handled the pandemic measures.

But the vaccine rollout is going well. It may go horribly wrong next month for reasons we don't know about yet, but there is no evidence of that so why are the press looking for the downside that isn't there?

GagaJo Sun 17-Jan-21 11:36:28

So those of you saying this is pure press speculation know more than Dr. Brian McGregor? Who states it was an order from NHS England? Is this an allowable source?

Dr Brian McGregor, a GP who chairs the BMA's Yorkshire regional committee, told the Telegraph that NHS England ordered his local clinical commissioning group to throw away any unused doses.

McGregor claimed they had been warned they would be "performance managed" on the issue.

GagaJo Sun 17-Jan-21 11:37:23

BUT as I said earlier, we should all just be glad this issue is resolved.

If I could, I would arrange to be outside a vaccination centre at close of play, to get one of the not used doses.

Peasblossom Sun 17-Jan-21 11:40:56

I think this thread has been about challenging PippaZ, don’t you? I definitely think we need to challenge everything that the media posts. Especially when it’s dressed up in quotation marks and phrase like ‘a source says” “it has been reported”.
And try, as best we can, not to let our own beliefs influence what we accept as true or not true.

At the moment nobody can produce a letter, email, anything from NHS England that instructs vaccinators to throw away viable doses of vaccine. If they had issued such a directive somebody should be able to publish it, surely?

NHS England have stepped in quickly and refuted the claims publicly and absolutely now. So it really has become a non story, other than maybe a worry as to how it arose and how easily ‘a story” can be spread.

Alegrias1 Sun 17-Jan-21 11:43:56

The article in Yahoo its actually badly written but after trawling through it for a while its obviously that the quotes are chosen carefully to support the message in the headline. Dr McGregor's quote directly contradicts what the NHS said. So instead of getting his name in the papers, and contributing to this non-story, why didn't he get proper clarification from the NHS and his local group?

By the way, reading between the lines I think they are being performance managed on NOT using the doses past their "sell by date". I'm pretty OK with that confused

GagaJo Sun 17-Jan-21 11:45:51

Yes of course, Alegrias1. A bit like the extension of the time span between the 1st and 2nd dose, anything that doesn't follow what the manufacturer and developers say should be policed.

biba70 Sun 17-Jan-21 11:48:50

MawBe- how and why can you say it was fake news?

Dr Robert Morely, director of professional support at the Birmingham Local Medical Committee, told the publication that the orders are "extremely counterproductive, nonsensical and ludicrous"

Why would someone like Dr Robert Morely lie?

Above are the names of the two Senior Medical people who said this was the case. Who are you to say they did not tell the truth? I suggest, as you say it is so important to check sources, that you contact them to ask them directly. That would be useful. Thanks.

Alegrias1 Sun 17-Jan-21 11:51:57

It doesn't matter how many times posters say "Why would these people lie"? It doesn't make the argument any better.

They probably didn't lie, they were probably quoted out of context.

By the way, its not unknown for senior medics to lie.....and unlike the Pope, they are not infallible.

MawBe Sun 17-Jan-21 11:53:50

GPs setting up vaccine clinics at short notice who find they have several injection doses left have reportedly been warned by local authorities that they cannot use them on staff or any patients who have already received their first jab.

It’s that word reportedly which should set bells ringing isn’t it? “Reported” ? By whom?

Dr Brian McGregor, a GP who chairs the BMA's Yorkshire regional committee, told the Telegraph that NHS England ordered his local clinical commissioning group to throw away any unused doses

NHS England is not the same thing as local authorities either, is it? .
So on more than one level I might have been suspicious of the probity of yahoo news.com and certainly resisted spreading this “story” without checking the facts more carefully.

MawBe Sun 17-Jan-21 11:54:59

Read the posts Biba , read the truth.

GagaJo Sun 17-Jan-21 11:55:08

But probably MORE infallible than the government who have lied, mismanaged and acted too late for much of the management of the pandemic.

I am probably fallible when I trust what Chris Whitty says, but I do trust him. So if he had come out saying this will NOT happen, I believe him. I will be very disappointed if at some point he is shown to have feet of clay.

GagaJo Sun 17-Jan-21 11:56:06

My goodness Maw, that sounds very biblical. Are you getting instructions from from above now?

Peasblossom Sun 17-Jan-21 11:56:46

Well, like I said biba, someone should be able to produce the directive if it exists.

MawBe Sun 17-Jan-21 12:04:34

Biba, I’m not going to get into an argument about why someone might have lied or been misreported or indeed quoted out of context.
Why would they lie? Did they lie? Who knows? But journalists
are notoriously adept at turning what a person said to make for a headline grabbing quote.
However look at the timing of the articles in question - the yahoo news.com item comes a full day after clear instructions to the contrary.
As Alegrias has explained very articulately, it is a sloppily written and poorly researched article
The yahoo article and all the other articles reporting this are trying to conflate the instructions to discard vaccines once they have passed their "use by" time with the letter from the NHS saying that one dose should be given right now. Some local health boards have issued confusing information which people think would be better discussed on national news media, instead of clarifying the instructions with the NHS

MawBe Sun 17-Jan-21 12:04:55

GagaJo

My goodness Maw, that sounds very biblical. Are you getting instructions from from above now?

Don’t bevfavile

MawBe Sun 17-Jan-21 12:05:55

GagaJo

Oops! Fat finger syndrome again
Biblical? In what way, merely saying check the facts.
Don’t be facile please.