Gransnet forums

Health

The secret to a good nights sleep....

(235 Posts)
Missfoodlove Sun 17-Jan-21 19:49:07

For about 10 years a good nights sleep has been a rare pleasure.
I’ve tried OTC tablets,meditation,diet and pillow sprays with varying results.
Finally I think I’ve found the solution in a tea bag!
It’s a well known organic brand that has a night time tea.
I’m sleeping like a log.....just hoping it lasts.
Has anyone else discovered this little bag of magic?

Sparklefizz Mon 18-Jan-21 07:41:11

Just googled the Pukka tea ingredients and it contains Chamomile lemsip plus also Valerian which is a key herb for insomnia, and lavender, known for relaxation. I take Valerian drops in a tiny amount of water.

Esspee Mon 18-Jan-21 08:02:09

Sleeping is one of my greatest accomplishments.
If I have a nap in the daytime (2 hours usually if undisturbed) I still manage 8 hours at night. If, however, I am upset about something and don’t get my 8 hours I am deeply affected the next day. This has a knock on effect on subsequent days so to break the cycle I then take Phenergan. It is available over the counter although you have to ask for it. 10mg is enough to get me back to my normal sleep pattern so a pack lasts a couple of years.

Lucca Mon 18-Jan-21 08:43:31

Currently up for a pee between three and six times a night....

FannyCornforth Mon 18-Jan-21 08:47:32

Chamomile and valarian do absolutely nothing for me.
I find herbal sleep aids and tea bags, including pukka, a complete waste of time.
I'm glad that you've found something that works for you though! smile

Beau1958 Mon 18-Jan-21 09:57:07

I use Boots Sleepeze I take one tablet just one night a week at least I get one night where I sleep through, I feel fine in the morning no grogginess, the other nights I wake 3 or 4 times sometimes struggling to get back to sleep. I wouldn’t take these every night as they can be addictive.

Sparklefizz Mon 18-Jan-21 09:59:52

Fanny Phenergan works. It's an OTC antihistamine which you can buy from an online chemist in these Covid days. Can leave you with a slightly dry mouth but otherwise ok. I alternate that with Valerian drops and prescription sleeping pills as I feel really ill with exhaustion if I don't get at least 8 hours and then have to spend the afternoon in bed.

I have longterm M.E. (31 years) and sleep disturbances are a common symptom. For the first 5 years I slept far too much (18 hours a day, too weak to get out of bed), then the shock of my Mum's sudden death tripped a switch and since then I have had major sleep problems so have tried virtually everything. Sometimes things work for a while and then don't.

I wouldn't drink take a sleep-inducing drink as having to get up for a pee would defeat the object.

I only take the prescription sleeping pills if I'm desperate. A night's sleep is obviously vital when we are stressed over Covid.

Moggycuddler Mon 18-Jan-21 10:00:14

ASMR Sleep recordings. Too long to explain here, but there's loads of stuff online to google. I had some free 30 minute recordings from Audible. I was very sceptical but they do work like magic for me.

Gilly1952 Mon 18-Jan-21 10:02:28

I find two bottles of red wine knock me out! Sorry to be flippant but I couldn’t resist! Seriously, normally I wake two or three times in the night and always have to go to the bathroom. I’ve tried taking Kalms before bed, but that doesn’t seem to work. I think it’s an “age think” unfortunately - I seemed to get worse after the menopause. I can go for hours in the daytime without needing the loo, but as soon as I wake in the night I have to go.

Beanie654321 Mon 18-Jan-21 10:03:38

Well for years I've not slept more than 3 hours a night, I told every one it was because of shift patterns of nursing and people laughed. Well since I retired after 40 years I now sleep 5 to 6 hours. Maybe I was right. Xxx

Grannytwoshoes Mon 18-Jan-21 10:04:54

Good to hear these suggestions. I regret to say have resorted to a spoonful of Night nurse when needed! Or failing that Piriton hay fever tablet (drowsy!) I’m sure I shouldn’t but the comfort of getting a nights sleep is great! Though it didn’t work when flying! Didn’t want to take a sleeping pill in case the plane went down whilst I was asleep!
Heaven preserve! I’ve got so much time to send these posts.. what is lockdown doing to us! Will try the tea.!

FannyCornforth Mon 18-Jan-21 10:05:32

Hello Sparklefizz yes, I have bought and tried pheneragan and found that it works smile
Also Nytol (in the blue box) which is dyphenhydramine, the same as Boots sleepeaze which was mentioned upthread.
You can buy both of these from online pharmacies.

buylocal Mon 18-Jan-21 10:07:10

Since I haven't been at salaried work, I have slept fine (after not sleeping well for 30 years). I still do work that I get paid for but on my terms and I love it.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 18-Jan-21 10:08:36

Warm bath before bedtime, Good mattress, Soft bedding, luckily I’m one of those that can fall asleep within ten mins of hitting the sack, but to be honest I’ve never ever had a problem despite having chronic illness, I can switch my mind off as soon as I get to bed so I don’t really have thoughts whirring round in my head like some people that say they struggle with. I must be fortunate in that way

Battersea1971 Mon 18-Jan-21 10:12:42

Ive had a look at Amazon and there are lots of different ones. Which would you recommend please.Would like to give it a try.

FannyCornforth Mon 18-Jan-21 10:16:13

Battersea the original poster recommended Pukka Sleep tea.

FannyCornforth Mon 18-Jan-21 10:19:19

Trendynannie wow, you are lucky!
I've mentioned this before on the Night Owls thread:
You know those old cartoons where you saw someone in bed with their false teeth in a glass of water next to them?
Well I often think that it would be lovely if you could do that with your brain.

GrammarGrandma Mon 18-Jan-21 10:26:14

So many sleep-sufferers on here! That was me for decades and a saliva test in 2009 showed that I had low melatonin and high DHA and cortisol in the evening. I took various supplements to try to re-set my hormonal cycle but the thing that has really worked for me is going gluten free, which I have been for over seven years. I can still get a bad night but usually have 7-8 hours, which would have been unthinkable before.

nipsmum Mon 18-Jan-21 10:26:50

I recently discovered Decaffeinated green tea. I take my tea with a squeeze of lemon at bedtime. It does help me to sleep. However after being a poor sleeper for many years I found a change in one of my medicines helped more than anything. Look at any medicines that are prescribed for you and see if insomnia is listed in the side effects.

pinkjj27 Mon 18-Jan-21 10:30:33

Thank you if it works I could kiss you but I wont because of social distancing. x

MissAdventure Mon 18-Jan-21 10:31:52

I think I'm going to try making some lavender tea.
I love the smell (not sure how I'll like the taste!)

I'm convinced it may do the trick.

Ellianne Mon 18-Jan-21 10:32:05

FannyCornforth

Trendynannie wow, you are lucky!
I've mentioned this before on the Night Owls thread:
You know those old cartoons where you saw someone in bed with their false teeth in a glass of water next to them?
Well I often think that it would be lovely if you could do that with your brain.

grin
But some of my best ideas come to me in those hours of the night!

growstuff Mon 18-Jan-21 10:32:45

FannyCornforth

Chamomile and valarian do absolutely nothing for me.
I find herbal sleep aids and tea bags, including pukka, a complete waste of time.
I'm glad that you've found something that works for you though! smile

Same here! I must have tried every sleep aid over the years and nothing has worked.

Maidmarion Mon 18-Jan-21 10:34:44

Strangely, I have just had TEN AND A HALF HOURS’ sleep..... after nights and nights of being awake for hours in the night!
Thank you Piriton.....!!!!! Love it!!!!! ???

Rosyanne Mon 18-Jan-21 10:37:04

I drink Celestial Sleepytime teas. Various flavours. They all work for me.

Maidmarion Mon 18-Jan-21 10:40:04

PS. I buy the cheap alternative (allergy relief) which contains
Cetrizine. You can get it from Poundland etc. But make sure it’s the Cetrizine one...! ?