Gransnet forums

Health

The secret to a good nights sleep....

(235 Posts)
Missfoodlove Sun 17-Jan-21 19:49:07

For about 10 years a good nights sleep has been a rare pleasure.
I’ve tried OTC tablets,meditation,diet and pillow sprays with varying results.
Finally I think I’ve found the solution in a tea bag!
It’s a well known organic brand that has a night time tea.
I’m sleeping like a log.....just hoping it lasts.
Has anyone else discovered this little bag of magic?

Buffy Sun 24-Jan-21 23:43:18

I’ve never seen as many comments on any other subject on Gransnet. It just goes to show how many of us have sleeping problems of one sort or another. I’m not alone !

Sara1954 Sun 24-Jan-21 22:25:37

Just drinking my first one, and unless it works miracles, it will be my last.
Having to force it down, absolutely ghastly!

MayBee70 Sun 24-Jan-21 22:17:22

No. Last night I just had a bottle with some cold tea in it. I only sipped a bit in the end because it was an old plastic bottle that had had kefir in it but no matter how many times I’ve washed it it still smells a bit sour milky! I did make a flask of hot tea the other night but I worry that I might do something daft like spill it everywhere if I’m half asleep! For some reason I always fancy some orange squash if I wake up in the night!

borderjoe Sun 24-Jan-21 22:15:25

Thanks ... worth a try! ...

Whitewavemark2 Sun 24-Jan-21 18:47:16

MayBee70

I have a cup of hot tea last thing but also make some up and keep it next to the bed in case I wake up feeling thirsty so I can have a sip of it.

In a flask?

MayBee70 Sun 24-Jan-21 18:45:22

I have a cup of hot tea last thing but also make some up and keep it next to the bed in case I wake up feeling thirsty so I can have a sip of it.

FannyCornforth Sun 24-Jan-21 18:01:47

DohaSusan

I am a new member and enjoy reading your articles and decided to join you all even though, unfortunately, I have never been blessed with grandchildren, so hope it okay for me to join. Having read the articles about Pukka tea bags and having suffered sleepless nights for years ordered some from Tesco in my delivery yesterday so fingers crossed, will update you.

DohaSusan
Of course you are welcome! smile
I don't have grandchildren or children. I'm also not in the average age demographic.
It's very inclusive here, and I've been made incredibly welcome. It's a lovely place.

rjack Sun 24-Jan-21 17:29:23

I have not slept all that well for years now and the word ACCEPT seems to calm me down, in that I just say to myself I will sleep better tomorrow night. But I will try this tea and see how I go.

Cronaca Sun 24-Jan-21 17:28:06

Check ingredients. I don’t think liquorice is good for those with high blood pressure

Withnail Sun 24-Jan-21 17:24:45

These are good

Catterygirl Sun 24-Jan-21 17:17:54

A vodka and mixer ensures 8 hours solid sleep. Never fails. Skip it some nights thinking of preserving the liver but sleep very badly. Which is worse? 5 HTP is good.

queenofsaanich69 Sun 24-Jan-21 16:44:29

Have been taking Magnesium daily,but last week read you should take them at night to help you sleep,and it WORKS I can’t believe how my sleeping has improved,I hope this helps everyone.

Billybob4491 Sun 24-Jan-21 16:10:57

The Pukka teabags gave me nightmares! Tried the Yorkshire biscuit tea as well, absolutely revolting.

scourw Sun 24-Jan-21 16:08:48

Not tea or anything, but I've found if I get myself nice and comfy, then, starting at my toes, clench muscles and then consciously completely relax, slowly working up towards your head. I've never got all the way through before I'm asleep

Missfoodlove Sun 24-Jan-21 16:05:32

Garfield I’ve only had it hot.

VeeScott Sun 24-Jan-21 15:28:10

My Mother's favourite.

Garfield1 Sun 24-Jan-21 14:11:19

Hi missfoodlove.
i dont sleep more than 3hr a night and its very broken.
Is the tea nice hot or cold.
Thanks G1brewsmile

DohaSusan Sun 24-Jan-21 14:09:20

I am a new member and enjoy reading your articles and decided to join you all even though, unfortunately, I have never been blessed with grandchildren, so hope it okay for me to join. Having read the articles about Pukka tea bags and having suffered sleepless nights for years ordered some from Tesco in my delivery yesterday so fingers crossed, will update you.

Nell8 Sun 24-Jan-21 13:06:17

To those whose brains keep whirling round with the same old distressing thoughts at night: it might be worth trying the method suggested by Jellybean345 on page 3, 18/01/2021. It distracts your brain and gets it working in an unemotional way.
(I found it very effective when I started to panic during a long MRI scan.)

If I have to get up for a trip to the loo I "shake out" my arms and legs. That way I'm much less likely to have aches and pains in the morning. "Every cloud etc.."

When things get really bad and I'm feeling dire I go downstairs, turn up the heating and microwave some porridge. It acts like a warm hug in my tummy. (Sorry, that sounds really twee!)

SuzannahM Sun 24-Jan-21 13:03:38

Tried my first one last night. Left it steeping while I got ready for bed then settled down to drink it while I pottered. Put the light off while music was playing and don't remember anything else. Did wake up as usual a few times in the night but instead of staying awake and lying there for an hour I just went back to sleep. No idea if it was anything to do with the teabag but will use the rest of the box over the next couple of weeks and see if there is a consistent improvement.

Eviebeanz Sun 24-Jan-21 12:53:29

Milk and honey before bed time

Eviebeanz Sun 24-Jan-21 12:51:46

I found that my sleep improved when I removed the TV and other devices from the bedroom ...

Ruby41 Sun 24-Jan-21 12:41:51

Like a couple of other g/netters, I did try the Pukka night time tea bags the other night (oatmeal version) but found them overwhelmingly sweet as well as having no noticeable effect. Maybe I should try the berry ones. I know it's all a matter of taste but I never have sugary drinks so I guess I just found it all rather cloying. It's been suggested by someone I think that it's the liquorice that gives it the sweetness - I must admit liquorice has never been on my favourite list. It's good that some posters have found Miss FL's suggestion helpful - the power of Gransnet!

Dottynan Sun 24-Jan-21 12:35:10

Sadly Pukka tea bags didn't work for me.

Juniper1 Sun 24-Jan-21 12:24:32

a couple of glasses of Burgundy never fails