Gransnet forums

Health

The secret to a good nights sleep....

(235 Posts)
Missfoodlove Sun 17-Jan-21 19:49:07

For about 10 years a good nights sleep has been a rare pleasure.
I’ve tried OTC tablets,meditation,diet and pillow sprays with varying results.
Finally I think I’ve found the solution in a tea bag!
It’s a well known organic brand that has a night time tea.
I’m sleeping like a log.....just hoping it lasts.
Has anyone else discovered this little bag of magic?

Cronaca Sun 24-Jan-21 17:28:06

Check ingredients. I don’t think liquorice is good for those with high blood pressure

rjack Sun 24-Jan-21 17:29:23

I have not slept all that well for years now and the word ACCEPT seems to calm me down, in that I just say to myself I will sleep better tomorrow night. But I will try this tea and see how I go.

FannyCornforth Sun 24-Jan-21 18:01:47

DohaSusan

I am a new member and enjoy reading your articles and decided to join you all even though, unfortunately, I have never been blessed with grandchildren, so hope it okay for me to join. Having read the articles about Pukka tea bags and having suffered sleepless nights for years ordered some from Tesco in my delivery yesterday so fingers crossed, will update you.

DohaSusan
Of course you are welcome! smile
I don't have grandchildren or children. I'm also not in the average age demographic.
It's very inclusive here, and I've been made incredibly welcome. It's a lovely place.

MayBee70 Sun 24-Jan-21 18:45:22

I have a cup of hot tea last thing but also make some up and keep it next to the bed in case I wake up feeling thirsty so I can have a sip of it.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 24-Jan-21 18:47:16

MayBee70

I have a cup of hot tea last thing but also make some up and keep it next to the bed in case I wake up feeling thirsty so I can have a sip of it.

In a flask?

borderjoe Sun 24-Jan-21 22:15:25

Thanks ... worth a try! ...

MayBee70 Sun 24-Jan-21 22:17:22

No. Last night I just had a bottle with some cold tea in it. I only sipped a bit in the end because it was an old plastic bottle that had had kefir in it but no matter how many times I’ve washed it it still smells a bit sour milky! I did make a flask of hot tea the other night but I worry that I might do something daft like spill it everywhere if I’m half asleep! For some reason I always fancy some orange squash if I wake up in the night!

Sara1954 Sun 24-Jan-21 22:25:37

Just drinking my first one, and unless it works miracles, it will be my last.
Having to force it down, absolutely ghastly!

Buffy Sun 24-Jan-21 23:43:18

I’ve never seen as many comments on any other subject on Gransnet. It just goes to show how many of us have sleeping problems of one sort or another. I’m not alone !

Sara1954 Mon 25-Jan-21 06:33:59

Well I slept quite well, woke up at about three for a wee but went back off again.
I will try and force it down again, but I hate liquorice.

Sara1954 Mon 25-Jan-21 07:45:06

I can’t understand a couple of you saying there’s very little taste, I found it overpowering, and felt a bit nauseous, a small price to pay for a good nights sleep though.

janeainsworth Mon 25-Jan-21 08:26:13

Sara I tried it for the first time a few nights ago & my reaction was the same as yours, though I did seem to sleep more soundly.
I went back to my usual & lemon & ginger &didn’t sleep very well.
I was on the point of throwing the Pukka ones out & then thought I should really try again, but think of the drink as medicinal rather than something to enjoy.
It didn’t taste quite so horrid last night &
I felt I slept really well.

Sara1954 Mon 25-Jan-21 08:35:19

Jane
I will definitely try it again, as I do feel far more refreshed this morning than I have for a long time.
I made it in quite a small cup, so I’m wondering if I make it in a mug with more water it won’t be so concentrated, on the other hand, if it still tastes ghastly, I’ll have more to drink!

GagaJo Mon 25-Jan-21 08:38:23

Since seeing this thread I've been drinking camomile tea before bed. I don't find falling asleep any easier but I am sleeping more deeply.

Missfoodlove Mon 25-Jan-21 09:16:36

Am I strange as I quite like both?
The berry is my favourite now.

MayBee70 Mon 25-Jan-21 11:33:48

I always add a bit of honey to it which I do with most herbal teas.

Jeannii Mon 25-Jan-21 17:00:15

I have just ordered 4 packets = 80 bags for £10 from Amazon and they will be here tomorrow.
Thank you for posting this, I go off to sleep with the aid of my anti depressants but wake up anytime around 2 and then at best I doze until 5ish. To sleep all night sounds wonderful. I will report in due course.

effalump Mon 25-Jan-21 19:09:25

I've slept better during this last year, I think, because I have been researching breathing methods. Also, I can recommend a piece of music "Weightless" by Marconi Union. They do several versions of varying lengths. The one I listen to when I go to bed is 8 minutes long (I listen to it twice at a very low volume) practising belly breathing whilst listening. Usually I am asleep within 5-10 minutes. I'm an overthinker so, believe me, 5-10 minutes is pretty good.

Madwoman11 Thu 28-Jan-21 09:47:01

I haven't tried these teabags, but I am having some success with magnesium glycinate capsules.
Apparently a lot of people are unaware they are deficient in magnesium and blood test don't always show this.
It can help with anxiety, depression, pain and sleep to name just a few things. I certainly feel like I have my Mo Jo back, and sleep has improved.

janeainsworth Sat 13-Feb-21 09:28:53

Update for Missfoodlove smile

I’ve persevered with the pukka teabags and have managed to work through to the point that I’m beginning to like the taste shock
I’m certainly sleeping longer each night, going back to sleep more easily after trips to the loo, and feel more refreshed when I wake for the day. So thank you.

Last night I even had a nice dream. I was in a vegetable market surrounded by piles of beautiful shining vegetables, aubergines, peppers, courgettes, tomatoes and fresh ginger and the stall holder was advising me about a particular vegetable that I didn’t recognise.
Buying all my fruit & vegetables with my online delivery & Morrison’s being out of stock of aubergines for weeks is obviously getting to me grin

gardenoma Wed 21-Jul-21 21:37:41

I have come to really like the pukka bags and feel they're working up to a point, however since I've also started taking magnesium glycinate 1 to 2 hours before bedtime my sleep has definitely improved. I don't always doze off instantly but every time I've gone for a pee, 3 or 4 times a night, I drift off immediately again. A huge improvement for me.

rjack Sat 24-Jul-21 09:11:36

Go to bed at the same time every night then set alarm for the same time each morning. This works a treat for me. I go to bed at 22.00hrs. then set Alexa for 8.00 hrs.

lemsip Sat 24-Jul-21 11:38:42

who needs to set the alarm when a person like me cannot sleep more than an hour at a time anyway and is a real problem...
I realise this thread is old...from jan 2021..........how does that happen.

silverlining48 Tue 28-Dec-21 11:28:16

I love zopiclone bit my gp is reluctant but she said phenerghan is less problematic addiction wise so she is happy to prescribe. I take them regularly 10 mg and they work for me,
Night nurse works fir s friend but it has the same ingredient as phenerghan which you can buy over the counter. Would suggest 10 mg rather than 25 mg which left me with a nasty metallic taste, could be different for other people of course.

chrissyh Tue 28-Dec-21 12:11:01

Missfoodlove which flavour do you have? I see there are several different Pukka night time teas. There is Berry; Valerian root and Ashwagandha; A blend of oatflower, lavender and lime flower.