Gransnet forums

Health

Alcohol and the vaccination.

(66 Posts)
NanKate Thu 21-Jan-21 14:41:14

I have read it is sensible not to have alcohol 2 days before the jab and 2 days afterwards.

So no celebrating for DH on Saturday. ?☹️

Joesoap Fri 22-Jan-21 15:12:20

Surely if this is true they would send invitations for the vaccine in plenty of time, some people are getting their notice the day before the vaccination. Do they ask at the centre when you last drank alcohol,I think not.

Peasblossom Fri 22-Jan-21 15:18:29

Just shows how quickly and effectively misinformation can spread.

GrannyLaine Fri 22-Jan-21 15:25:43

Peasblossom so true, and nowhere faster than on Gransnet angry

Deedaa Fri 22-Jan-21 15:30:21

When I read the heading I thought perhaps people were being offered a drink with their jab. I was a bit miffed that I hadn't been offered one grin I was sent the text about booking a jab at 5.30pm yesterday and had it done at 10.30am today so not much chance of abstaining from anything!

GreenGran78 Fri 22-Jan-21 15:34:21

I don’t drink alcohol, simply because I have never enjoyed the taste, or the ‘loss of control’ feeling I get after even a couple of glasses of wine. I had my first jab last week, and have seen no mention of not drinking before or after receiving the vaccine.
It does disturb me, though, to realise just how many people have been drinking more (or a lot more) because of Covid restrictions. Boredom accounts for a lot of eating excess too, I expect. It can’t be doing people any good.

Arto1s Fri 22-Jan-21 17:07:26

We got the call last night, after drinking a bottle of wine! We will be getting our vaccination today at lunch time. No worries! Watch this space!

Redhead56 Fri 22-Jan-21 17:08:23

I was being facetious!

Lizbethann55 Fri 22-Jan-21 17:10:16

Relax! It is FAKE NEWS. If it was true, it would be the first question they asked you, and the first piece of advice they would give you. "Having a drink" and being an alcoholic or very heavy drinker are not the same thing.

olddudders Fri 22-Jan-21 18:29:41

We are being told that Vit D is good for fending off the virus if we catch it, reducing the severity of the illness. High levels of alcohol reduce our ability to absorb Vit D - fact. So there is a non-tenuous connection, but a short abstinence is unlikely to make any difference if you are a heavy drinker, and none whatever if you are not.

Ashcombe Fri 22-Jan-21 20:49:52

olddudders: I think you may be confusing D with B. Over indulgence in alcohol can cause the body to become unable to absorb Vitamin B which can only be rectified by injections of that vitamin.

Arto1s Fri 22-Jan-21 23:30:11

Had the vaccination this lunch time. So organized. Didn’t even have to get out of our car! Injection was so quick neither of us even felt it.

Arto1s Fri 22-Jan-21 23:32:33

P.S. our second injection already scheduled for 12th February.

Hetty58 Fri 22-Jan-21 23:37:41

It surely can't be that difficult (except for alcoholics) to just stop drinking now - until two weeks after vaccination.

That way, you have the very best chance of a strong immune system - and good immunity to the virus. What could be more important?

BlueSky Sat 23-Jan-21 00:27:15

Heavy drinkers shouldn’t stop suddenly. I didn’t know this and did, I was told I could have had serious problems.

growstuff Sat 23-Jan-21 00:27:58

olddudders

We are being told that Vit D is good for fending off the virus if we catch it, reducing the severity of the illness. High levels of alcohol reduce our ability to absorb Vit D - fact. So there is a non-tenuous connection, but a short abstinence is unlikely to make any difference if you are a heavy drinker, and none whatever if you are not.

I think you are indeed confusing Vitamin D and Vitamin B (various). Vitamin B is water soluble, so is constantly being excreted and needs topping up, whereas Vitamin D is fat soluble and the body builds up reserves.

Alcohol is known to deplete Vitamin B and heavy drinkers often have a deficiency. Not only does the deficiency have various symptoms, but it is used by the body when there's an infection.

It makes sense for the body to be in the best condition possible to cope with any change to the metabolism which might be introduced by a vaccine.

Abstaining for a couple of days might make a positive difference. It's certainly not going to do any harm - and will save a couple of pounds too!