Gransnet forums

Health

Sleep, the innocent sleep, sleep that knits up the ravel'd sleeve of care

(92 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Thu 21-Jan-21 16:25:49

Since Christmas I seem to have fallen into a pattern of lying awake until five or six in the morning, then sleeping until well after noon. Obviously I'm retired and live alone, and with lockdown firmly in place I have nowhere to go and nobody comes to see me so my hours are my own, but it doesn't feel healthy to me.

I've followed all the online advice, have a mug of cocoa and a shower or bath an hour or so before bedtime, stop watching TV and read or knit instead, keep the light subdued and stripped of blue tones. It doesn't help.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? If problem it is? How did you handle it?

Mirren Sat 23-Jan-21 10:10:38

Actually, I don't really know what's wrong with being in hibernation mode during these dark days , as long as it's not depression that needs help.
I tend to love my bed too .
I know we tend to feel guilty and lazy for being a lie a bed but I get up , do chores , go for a long walk , knit and sew endlessly, read and otherwise fill a whole day. Just a bit later than during the summer !

Janiepops Sat 23-Jan-21 10:10:50

Ditto LadyHonor! I do painting by numbers and get so engrossed in it,I’m painting till 2am! If not painting,I can binge watch 4/5 hour of murder mysteries! Then go to bed,wide awake,play mahjong till 3ish,then lie down and try to sleep....no chance! I can turn and turn till 4, even half past, then must doze off. Husband brings me tea at 9.30, then I sleep till 11.30.
Potter about, then have blissful sleep at 3ish either in chair or go up to bed for couple of hours! Crazy! Husband doesn’t mind a bit!
Have tried and tried again to go up with husband at 10pm, (separate rooms) no use!
I feel unhealthy too. Miss the mornings. I’m only up today cos a workman came at 9 to give a quote!
Will try and reset AGAIN in the Spring, but I feel your pain!!

Fashionista1 Sat 23-Jan-21 10:11:40

My advice would be to go out for a long walk (if you are able) in fresh air obviously social distancing and wearing your mask. If you can't manage that then try to do exercises at home with a small window open. There are chair exercises for those who can't stand. Look online on You Tube for gentle exercise. I find if I have a sofa day, then I can't sleep because my body just isn't tired. Also, as somebody said earlier, if you have a bad night, don't go to sleep at 6 am - get up and try to get through the day and go to bed in the evening. Good luck

Jo1960 Sat 23-Jan-21 10:11:56

I've never been a "normal" sleeper. As a baby & child I didn't sleep and even when starting work at 6am and working 10 hour day in my teens was often wide awake at 3am, sometimes staying up for 2-3 days in a row. In my late 30s I went the other way and couldn't stay awake. As for sleep hygiene, it's never helped, I just lie awake twiddling my thumbs & become progressively more irritated.
I've stopped worrying about it now tbh; I sleep some nights & not others & just accept it as my normal.

Kim19 Sat 23-Jan-21 10:12:19

My body clock is decidedly higgledy piggledy at the moment but I don't mind a bit. I just put it down to the combination of current lockdown and rubbish weather. Hibernation has a lot going for it!! However, I fully expect it to return to my normal when Spring appears and I can't resist being outside. Early morning light combined with beautiful birdsong will do it for me. Roll on!

GrannyTracey Sat 23-Jan-21 10:14:00

I am struggling too with my sleep. I wake about 4:30 / 5:30 & my mind immediately starts working overtime . I take 2x 10 mg amitriptaline tablets at least 2 nights a week before bed. If I take them every night they don’t seem to work as well . I also bought an Amazon Alexa & when I wake up I ask her to play white noise or ask her to play an audio book very quietly & I can sometimes fall back to sleep

buylocal Sat 23-Jan-21 10:14:40

And, cut out caffiene - decaf tea and coffee are as widely available now and it is surprising how much one cup can affect your sleep.

sazz1 Sat 23-Jan-21 10:15:03

I have same problem with getting to sleep before 2 or 3 a.m. For me it started when I worked in a shift work job where the busy time was between 11pm and 3am. Worked there for 8 years and ever since I can't get to sleep before 2am. Have tried various ways to reset the body clock but it always fails. Previous to this employment I was always asleep by midnight, up at 7.30 but I can't get this back.

choughdancer Sat 23-Jan-21 10:20:26

I have had difficulty in getting to sleep most of my adult life, and find this helps me enormously. www.doyogawithme.com/content/yoga-nidra-sleep

Recently I've been using guided meditation every morning (I know; get me!) from these which are both free. Both have sleep meditations on them, but so far I have only tried the daytime ones which are excellent..

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.meditation.elevenminute&hl=en_US&gl=US

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=meditofoundation.medito&hl=en_US&gl=US

Catlover21 Sat 23-Jan-21 10:23:24

Chill, don’t worry about it. You just happen to be keeping the same time as the west coast of America. They will all be asleep when you are! To get back to UK time you will probably get jet lag! If it’s not bothering anyone else there isn’t a problem

Theoddbird Sat 23-Jan-21 10:23:51

I find that reading for half an hour once I am in bed helps.

Annlilyoliver Sat 23-Jan-21 10:25:28

Walk five miles a day or exercise indoors. Use Ocean sounds on Alexa by side of bed. It shuts off after one hour
You may not need as much sleep as you think

J4ne Sat 23-Jan-21 10:25:54

I think it does matter, that we are awake for most of the daylight hours, for vitamin D absorption. A broken hip I do not want!

Bluecat Sat 23-Jan-21 10:28:06

I have been like this recently, and it is hard to get out of the pattern once you are in it. I know what it's like to watch the hours pass during the night and eventually fall asleep at 6 a.m, to wake when half the day has gone. After some long sleepless nights, the temptation to just stay up and read is sometimes overpowering, with the same result.

I tried staying awake all night and then going to bed at a sensible time, hoping that I would be tired enough to quickly fall asleep. It didn't work.

My daughter, who has had long bouts of insomnia since her teens, advised me to gradually go to bed earlier, maybe by half an hour at a time, to gradually reset your body's clock. If you have slept till noon, it's no use going to bed at 10 pm and expecting to sleep. Even midnight is too early. You have to slowly wind back the hours until you have gradually altered your sleeping pattern.

It does work. I wouldn't say that I am sleeping at a regular time and rising with the lark, but it's getting better. In the meantime, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it too much. You're not bothering anyone and I doubt that you are seriously damaging your health. It will pass. You will get out of it. Try not to worry too much.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sat 23-Jan-21 10:33:23

I got rid of my husband, worked really well for my sleep pattern grin

Nicegranny Sat 23-Jan-21 10:34:07

First of all don’t beat yourself up over staying up until dawn because this is an unusual thing we are going through. Go with the flow and drink decaf only.
When we stay up like this eventually your clock will come around to a decent bedtime again and when it does go to bed if you are concerned. A lot of us are going through this, l am too and I was guilty of binge watching Netflix until 3-4am then reading till 5am then eventually sleep came. Stop worrying do what your body is telling you and when light morning’s start sleep with your curtains open so that light naturally sets your clock. For the moment I am not going to worry about anything except protecting myself from this rotten virus.
You could also join in the night owl chat here. ?

Nannan2 Sat 23-Jan-21 10:38:31

Im the same, but cant reset it as even next night if im tired, if i go earlier, still cant sleep! Think it started as, if i let him,my 17yr old would be up all night, and i was up till i could get him off internet & make him go bed, but then he goes on phone (games/txts) and i can hear him shuffling about next room door (im extremely sensitive to noise) so i stay awake too- (he was put on melatonin yrs ago by consultant for a bit)- but the body gets used to it & it stops working, but you could try it under your drs supervision i suppose?But this is same sleep pattern even when i get up earlier to make sure he's up to study online 3days a wk for college! (He wont manage otherwise as i suspect he doesn't fall asleep till about 6/7 then up for 9am start) but even on days without that i get broken sleep all the time for toilet.Ive always been a night owl but used to be 1-2 am.Now, this is ridiculous times.(maybe this sleep 'problem' runs in our family,theres at least 3 others amongst my older/younger GC like this.)But its definitely got worse in lockdown yes.hmm

Nannan2 Sat 23-Jan-21 10:41:29

*meant, room next door! Sorry im tired?

westwoodirene1215 Sat 23-Jan-21 10:43:46

I find audio books set on timer send me to sleep

lizzypopbottle Sat 23-Jan-21 10:49:17

Haven't read all the posts but maybe you need to reset your body clock. Instead of sleeping till noon, set an alarm and get up at the same time every day, regardless of what time you went to sleep. Resist going back to bed and try not to nap during the day. Try to get exercise outdoors as well, especially if you feel sleepy. The broken sleep pattern happens to me occasionally but not every night. I think it's lockdown inactivity in my case but I have to get up in the morning for my dogs.

Coffeebix Sat 23-Jan-21 10:50:54

The only thing thst works for me and sleep experts recommend it, is to stay up all day after the sleepless night and don't sleep until 9 p.m. I know it's very hard, I have done it, but it is the only way to reset your sleep rhythm.

readalot Sat 23-Jan-21 11:02:17

I tried the sleepstation site. I was recommended from the doctors. It was a waste of time. I can go to bed really tired, I can hardly keep my eyes open and as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm wide awake. I can lie there for hours before I nod off. Sometimes I get back up and sometimes I don't go to bed till about 4 am. I've tried alsorts nothing works. I'm just stick with it.

Cathy21 Sat 23-Jan-21 11:03:28

I have a Lumie Daylight lamp. I sit by it for half an hour early morning. I still wake up several times a night but a short read works then fall asleep again.

Damdee Sat 23-Jan-21 11:06:40

The other recent thread about sleep recommended Pukka Night Time herbal tea (blue packet). I was dubious but bought it, and it seems to work pretty well for me.

Granless Sat 23-Jan-21 11:06:55

I can’t fall asleep unless I read in bed - after about half-hour eyelids drooping put book down. I know this doesn’t work for many.
Valerian also helped me when I was having serious sleep issues.