Gransnet forums

Health

Statins update.

(14 Posts)
Missfoodlove Fri 29-Jan-21 09:24:15

I posted a couple of weeks ago re statins and your experiences.
I started my Atorvastatin 40mg on a Wednesday.
Out walking on Sunday my calves and feet were in agony.
I stopped taking them immediately.
The surgery told me to stop taking them watch my diet and return for bloods in 3 months.
I am now taking plant sterols.
I am very surprised that with such a high reading they didn’t prescribe an alternative.

Septimia Fri 29-Jan-21 09:29:42

DH was on 40mg statins for a few years before his regular check-up was done by a locum instead of his usual doctor. Said locum stated that 40mg was a 'hospital dose' and immediately cut it in half.

BlueSky Sat 30-Jan-21 09:12:24

These stories don’t give you much confidence in this medication or indeed the GPs! There’s a GP in our practice who seems to believe statins are the answer and she’s tried more than once to get me to take them, when even the consultant hadn’t recommended them!

EllanVannin Sat 30-Jan-21 09:28:12

40mg isn't an ideal dose to begin with. It should have been started gradually from 20mg. I remember arguing with the hospital staff many years ago when they tried to prescribe 40mg and I refused so they then gave me 20mg which I've taken since 2007 with no problems.

My cholesterol level has remained steady for years, under 5, between 3 and 4. Obviously if there'd been no sign of the levels decreasing it would have been increased. I also have annual blood tests to check everything, so can't complain.

MayBee70 Sat 30-Jan-21 16:20:25

Can I ask you what plant sterols you’re taking? When I had my cholesterol checked a few years ago my bad cholesterol was high but they said it was ok because my good cholesterol counteracted it. But that was because I worked out at the gym a lot and I’m obviously not doing that these days and also not getting as much exercise in general.

Missfoodlove Sat 30-Jan-21 16:49:35

Maybee From Amazon

Bridie22 Sat 30-Jan-21 17:39:47

I was prescribed Atoravastatin 20mg, I managed to take it for 2 weeks before the leg pain became unbearable, it was then changed to paravastin 10mg, i managed 4 days on this one, i couldn't stay awake , i hurt everywhere, so i have stopped them and bought boots own plant sterols supplements and will see how I manage with them and a few dietary changes.

Oldbat1 Sat 30-Jan-21 17:45:30

I was told by GP my cholesterol was so high I could have stroke or heart attack at any time! Put on 40mgs atorvastatin with immediate start. No side effects at all after 16months. No follow up either!!!

Bridie22 Sat 30-Jan-21 17:55:41

You are very fortunate to have no side effects, I believe blood test should be done after first month on statins to check liver function.

Blossoming Sat 30-Jan-21 17:59:57

40mg isn’t necessarily a high dose, there are several different types of statin. I take 40mg of a milder statin than Atorvastin. Prescribed by a hospital consultant, reviewed by other hospital consultants over the years.

I am not medically qualified in any way and I don’t think many of our fellow Gransnetters are. I can’t tell anybody else what they should or shouldn’t do, you should always discuss with your doctor before taking or stopping any meds, including over the counter ones.

LadyGracie Sat 30-Jan-21 20:28:26

DH has frighteningly realistic nightmares taking statins.
Apparently common side effect.

shavindhi Tue 16-Feb-21 12:00:44

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Blossoming Tue 16-Feb-21 12:20:14

Reported

Kato20 Tue 16-Feb-21 15:09:17

I had bad reaction to Atorvastatin 80mg per day- very high liver enzyme count and extreme arm/shoulder pain. Told to stop immediately. Liver now back to normal, joint pain worse. Have been now given ezitmibe which I have just started. I worry about cholesterol levels which have increased without statins. Any advice would be welcome