Gransnet forums

Health

Nuts

(20 Posts)
NanKate Mon 08-Mar-21 17:41:52

Let’s hope it works for me too Meryl.

MerylStreep Sat 06-Mar-21 08:48:23

NanKate
I have diverticulitis. I haven’t had a bad attack since cutting out all nuts and seeds, and that includes tomatoes.

M0nica Sat 06-Mar-21 08:34:31

Marmite do marmite rice cakes, crispy and tasty (and low calorie)

Aveline Fri 05-Mar-21 15:37:49

Diverticulitis. Very unpleasant. Sorry to hear you'll not be able to have nuts any more. Good luck with all the other crunchy suggestions.

NanKate Fri 05-Mar-21 15:34:23

Thanks for all your great suggestions which I will follow up.

I have just had 3 and a half weeks of dreadful diverticulitis and the consultant has banned nuts and seeds.

Feeling stacks better now and will have a colonoscopy in 5 weeks when it has all settled down.

Grandma11 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:30:49

Why not try Vegetable Crisps? Most large M&S foodhalls sell them, I love Beetroot Crisps, also the Parsnip and Carrot varieties. Breadsticks and Cheese twists too, along with vegetable crudettes, I love to crunch on Celery or raw carrot, sometimes topped with low fat cottage cheese!

NotAGran55 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:26:38

I second oatcakes in every variety going . They are almost as addictive as nuts though .

J52 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:24:35

Oatcakes have a lovely nutty flavour. Nairn’s do then in different flavours, cheese, ginger, fruit and plain.

M0nica Fri 05-Mar-21 11:20:55

not sure how that happened

M0nica Fri 05-Mar-21 11:20:39

Those thin crisp crispbreads, spread with a bit of what you fancy, in my case hummous etc, but it could be any soft cheese, butter and marmite, whatever.

M0nica Fri 05-Mar-21 11:20:38

Those thin crisp crispbreads, spread with a bit of what you fancy, in my case hummous etc, but it could be any soft cheese, butter and marmite, whatever.

Alexa Fri 05-Mar-21 11:05:39

Nankate, are you allowed to eat smooth nut butter? There are other sorts of nut butter besides peanut butter. Are you allowed houmous?

Of course, these are not crunchy. Depending why you tum is sensitive, there are several sort of plain biscuits that are rather nice with cheese or fruit or veg topping.

jaylucy Fri 05-Mar-21 10:44:38

If NanKate is suffering from something like diverticulitis, eating nuts and seeds is not a good idea as they can get stuck in the pockets in the bowel and cause quite a few problems. I'd say sliced peppers and celery can give a good crunch, the Aldi snacks mentioned are really nice in moderation.

Peasblossom Fri 05-Mar-21 10:38:15

There are several reasons why eating nuts is a bad idea for individuals.

They’re high in fat, especially Omega 3.

They promote eostrogen production

They irritate the intestines and bowel

They can cause an allergic reaction

Depending on the reason the doctors has told the OP to stop, some of the alternatives might not be good either, like chickpeas and lentils.

Aveline Fri 05-Mar-21 10:24:14

I wonder why nuts were banned? I thought they were regarded as being a brilliant source of fibre, vitamins and minerals. I'd really miss them.

Blossoming Fri 05-Mar-21 10:03:45

Roasted chick6 peas

Redhead56 Fri 05-Mar-21 10:00:18

Vegetable lentil houmous and pea crisps all in Aldi nice and savoury eaten in moderation. I buy long red peppers and eat them like apples crunchy and very healthy.

BigBertha1 Fri 05-Mar-21 09:46:33

Celery sticks, carrot sticks. Have you tried those pea based snacks - not sure what they are called I know people enjoy them rather than crisps etc.

BlueSky Fri 05-Mar-21 09:39:50

NanKate is that because they upset your tummy? I know what you mean as I love nuts after they stressed how good they are as snacks! Are you allowed small quantities?

NanKate Fri 05-Mar-21 08:55:04

I have been told by the Doc I must stop eating nuts and seeds. I adore walnuts and most other nuts but must follow his advice. Any suggestion on crunchy foods I can eat that won’t affect my sensitive tum ?