Gransnet forums

Health

What's your morning routine? ?

(103 Posts)
StellaGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 16-Mar-21 15:02:34

Are you someone who gets up the minute your alarm goes off? Or are you a snooze button enthusiast like me? What’s the first thing you do when you’re out of bed - is it tea/coffee and breakfast or do you like to have a leisurely morning? Do you find that your routine has changed with lockdown?

By posting on this thread you could win one of the fabulous spot prizes we have on offer this week - please see our Sleep Week page here link for details of the prizes and for the T&Cs. Don’t forget - we’ll be picking 5 winners at random from threads across the week, so the more threads you post on, the more chance you have of winning!

Don’t forget to stay in touch. Sign up to our newsletter here.

busterjames Sun 21-Mar-21 15:48:56

Now we are retired we dont set the alarm .I still wake up pretty early so i will get up and make a coffee for my wife and tea for myself and have a lay in bed until we fancy breakfast .

pinktulips Sat 20-Mar-21 13:12:57

I wake around 7 am, and my routine is to have a coffee, open my laptop and read the morning papers, put the radio on - waiting for Ken Bruce, and Jeremy Vine. Breakfast is overnight oats with berries - blueberries because of the antioxidant properties.

Motherofmany Sat 20-Mar-21 13:04:43

05.45 out of bed, tube feed and medicate youngest.
Quick shower, then shower daughter do neccessaries ? get her dressed into wheelchair start her feed off out of door at 07.40. Bellow at other 3 to get up (no day services). DH and have cup of tea and chill for 15 minutes.
Well you did ask ?

Carado Sat 20-Mar-21 11:00:39

I set the alarm for 7.30 and get up if the sun is shining! If it looks cold, dull and wet I make a cuppa and go back to bed to read the Guardian for an hour before breakfast. Shower and dress after breakfast.

Buffybee Sat 20-Mar-21 10:26:47

I usually wake before Dolly my little dog, then while she's stirring in her bed, I dress in joggers and warm cardi, then down stairs to let her out.
Put kettle on, while I feed dog and cat who is by now curling around my legs. Lastly, I'll make my coffee, sit and check my phone for any messages, then read the news.
Depending on what I have planned, I can have another couple of coffees before I face the day.

Sarandy Sat 20-Mar-21 10:06:58

Up, shower, feed the cat, make cuppa tea, do my ablutions and then I am set for the day!

lillyofthevalley Sat 20-Mar-21 09:38:25

I waken naturally around 6.30, and pop on the kettle and make a much welcome cup of tea, I let the dog out into our garden via the back door, and put on the BBC - my friend for the rest of the day.

rosemary55 Sat 20-Mar-21 09:03:25

Recently widowed, still finding a routine in these strange times with nowhere to go, I set my alarm for 7 (god knows why) and get up about 15 mins later, come down make a cup of tea, catch up on emails, facebook, usually dressed, make up on by 10, with nowhere to gosad

boxfords Fri 19-Mar-21 23:26:03

I'm a natural owl, never been a lark. Frustrating that life has always been against my natural 2am - 9am sleep pattern.

blue25 Fri 19-Mar-21 23:10:59

Snooze button, cup of tea, watch the news then breakfast. No rushing around!

mrsmcsporran Fri 19-Mar-21 22:41:51

I'm a roll out of bed, slip into comfy clothes and go make breakfast kind of person. I'm not a morning person. I barely function til I have some food in me!

Whatarethechances Fri 19-Mar-21 19:30:13

I’m definitely more night owl than lark so I like to have slow start with a cup of coffee in bed while catching up on the morning news.

SuzC Fri 19-Mar-21 18:39:30

I always hit the snooze button for a cheeky 10 minutes extra! And a morning isn't a morning without coffee...

lexigran Fri 19-Mar-21 18:16:23

No alarm for us, when we wake one of us makes a cup of tea to drink in bed (usually OH) Downstairs for breakfast before washing and dressing. I often don't get dressed until lunchtime nowadays which I hardly ever did before lockdown. I think it's because I know we won't get any visitors!

ykellock Fri 19-Mar-21 17:38:24

I get up at same time every day and first thing is toilet. I then need a coffee with my cereal before I do anything else. As I am working from home, I'm not in a hurry to get dressed but am usually dressed for 9 am.

Manx33S Fri 19-Mar-21 17:18:45

Being retired means that I do not put the alarm on unless need to be up for some type of appointment. Most mornings I go downstairs in a dressing gown, enjoy a coffee with a bowl of muesli and after about 10 minutes will get washed, dressed etc and then go out and get the morning paper for myself, hubbby and a neighbour.

Holidayenthusiast Fri 19-Mar-21 17:12:51

I get up at 8.00 and take my morning meds. Then I have breakfast, brush my teeth, get dressed and walk the dog.

maryrose54 Fri 19-Mar-21 14:33:53

DH brings me cuppa when he leaves for work at 6.30. I doze a bit until I hear the neighbours clattering about in their kitchen, then I put tv on to watch bbc news to mask the noise. About 7.30 get up, 20 minutes you tube exercise session, browse Internet for news, then about 9.30 go out for a brisk walk for about 30 minutes then back for cup of tea.

Lorelei Fri 19-Mar-21 14:25:15

I get up a few minutes before my morning 'pill time'. After using the bathroom I stagger into the kitchen to make a coffee, do my meds, stare at some crap on TV, usually go back for another coffee, see if the cat wants anything, and try to find some energy to do a few chores.

ottypotty Fri 19-Mar-21 13:05:08

I get up to walk the dog around 6, and love this time - talking him out whilst the microwave heats up my oats and berry breakfast (which I leave to cool for 20 minutes) and the kettle boils - then I watch Good Morning Britain - not the same since Piers has gone - love him or hate him he was IMO a great broadcaster (though did think he went too far over Meghan - but that's another discussion)
I work from home and get my laptop out and begin work around 9:30.

BlueBelle Fri 19-Mar-21 09:26:57

My morning routine hasn’t changed at all
Up at 7am, shower, dress, dry hair, put light make up on, put earrings in. have toast and coffee, then off to whatever the day beholds ( that HAS changed to ....not much)

cathyov Fri 19-Mar-21 09:22:14

My dogs ensure that the morning routine remains the same as they expect their breakfast on time and need their visit to the garden! Rather than an alarm clock waking me up it is usually a little bark from the kitchen and after pet duties accomplished it is always a well deserved cup of tea.

madeleine45 Fri 19-Mar-21 07:50:54

My sleep pattern can be rather a vicious circle. I have had a slipped disk years ago and do have a very bad back that I need to think about when lifting or whatever. If I slip or move badly it starts to hurt quite a lot and can take 2 or 3 weeks to improve to normal pain threshold . So once that cycle starts I am lucky if I sleep past 4am. the first try is to get back to sleep, so go tobathroom or try and find more comfortable position and then do breathing exercises. When that doesnt work, put the light on and radio 3 quietly and read, trying not to think of problems or work needing to be done. I then put light off and try to sleep again. When that doesnt work I give up, sit up and make plans for the day, always trying to work out best way to cope with bad back . Then I get up and go into the shower. Normally just shower to be clean , but when my back is bad stay in a little longer as it can help loosen me up. Then if ok dress and go downstairs. If still in a lot of pain, go down in dressing gown and get much needed coffee (decaffinated but still strong) and usually cereal. In the summer no problem because many a time I have gone down in dressing gown or if hot pair of shorts and t shirt and been able to have the world to myself , make my coffee and walk round my garden with secateurs at the ready. Best way to keep mind off pain and a little gardening every day keeps the garden nice too. In the winter when it is dark and cold , that is not a solution, so I steal a march, once I am downstairs , but taking my coffee, checking all emails, sending emails , making shopping lists and catching up on things so that once the day is a bit brighter I can get on with my day. I am a widow and live alone. Before covid I used to swim twice a week and meet swimming friends etc so again if up very early I could send e mails to friends suggesting meeting or whatever and they would see it when they checked their phones once they were up so kept in touch. I do not take my phone into my bedroom or do the laptop upstairs. It is a tech free zone and I still prefer to read actual books and have a bookshelf with a great variety of subjects . Often read poetry books before I go to sleep or if I wake up very early

Erica23 Fri 19-Mar-21 07:20:47

No alarm here I’ve always been a lark ! As always happens at this time of year I start waking earlier between 4.30 and 5.30 am I’m always pleased when we change the clocks.
Cup of coffee, then a catch up on gransnet and tv. Breakfast around 7.30 then washed and changed ready to start the day by 8.30.

Harmonypuss Fri 19-Mar-21 03:58:33

Considering my insomnia and the fact that I find it extremely difficult to sleep overnight, my morning routine is to finally fall asleep sometime between 9 and 9.30, only to be awake again by 11.