Gransnet forums

Health

NHS and Removing ear wax

(72 Posts)
lincolnimp Wed 17-Mar-21 18:43:17

Disregarding any reduction in services due to the pandemic.
Have any of you had ear wax removed, free of charge, by the NHS recently?

Cabbie21 Sun 21-Nov-21 23:39:45

I regularly use Otex ear drops which work well in one ear but not the other. I am going to try the olive oil treatment in the other ear.
I had a hearing test at Specsavers, and from that day onwards, i have tinnitus. Can it be a coincidence?. Or did they somehow cause it?

grandma60 Sun 21-Nov-21 22:02:58

I had my ears microsuctioned privately a few months ago as both ears were so blocked I could hardly hear at all.
The nurse at our surgery told me that the government had banned GP surgery's from doing it. (I would have thought they had other things to worry about!) and that if they did it they would be breaking the law.
The audiologist told me that it wasn't true that they would be breaking the law but the government had stopped funding it.
On the other hand my daughter had her ears microsuctioned at her nhs surgery entirely free.

NotTooOld Sun 21-Nov-21 16:36:09

I called our local Specsavers recently and was told micro-suction at their store is £55 or someone will come out to you for £70. I want to try it before I go down the deaf aid route.

grannyrebel7 Sun 21-Nov-21 15:15:50

I've got an appointment at my local pharmacy on Wednesday for microsuction. Can't wait! I've been deaf in one ear for a week now and feel like I'm under water and I can hear my own voice. It's really miserable. I had this procedure done back in June and didn't expect it to be having it done again so soon, especially as it's £60! Anyway I don't care, I'd happily pay £100 to be out of this misery! Microsuction btw is much gentler than syringing and doesn't hurt at all. Perhaps it's not as effective, but it's my only option as the doctors here have stopped doing it.

AngieA463 Sun 21-Nov-21 15:05:51

Apparently I have a narrow ear canal which causes wax build up and I seem to need to have my ear irrigated approximately once a year. Luckily my GP surgery still does it, although the nurse informed me that they get no payment from the NHS for doing it but will do it where necessary. I have just had it done again last week and once again was advised to keep regularly using olive oil to prevent a build up. I was so grateful that they did it as I don't fancy using any of those DIY kits.

JillEH Tue 06-Jul-21 21:07:22

Where I live the GP won't do it at all. You must go private! Talking about c.£85!!!

Shinamae Tue 06-Jul-21 12:45:34

I had mine micro suctioned about six weeks ago at the audiology department of our local hospital, very quick procedure no pain at all and best of all FREE!.. mind you it was all part of me being fitted with new hearing aids so maybe that was why I had it done quite quickly and free..

Daisymae Tue 06-Jul-21 12:39:57

No our GP doesn't remove ear wax or skin tags come to that. You can get it micro suctioned at home for £80.

Calendargirl Tue 06-Jul-21 12:17:41

DH went to Specsavers yesterday to have his ears micro suctioned, after GP had said he couldn’t see his right eardrum because of dried wax, and the left one nearly as bad.

Have been putting olive oil in for over a fortnight.

Well, I was astounded when they didn’t do it, no need to waste £55 they said, as there wasn’t enough wax.

Has the olive oil worked so well? He has had a towel spread over his pillow all this time, but never seen a trace of wax anywhere.

Oh well, if his hearing is no better, next job is to book him in for a hearing test,

??????

NfkDumpling Sat 19-Jun-21 13:38:08

Our doctor does still do it, if its really blocked. But my DH now pays £4 a month at an independent opticians and can go whenever he has a problem- which is usually three if four times a year. No fuss.

At present in the current situation this doesn't seem a bad thing. Far better the NHD concentrates on getting back to something like normal.

It may end up being a new normal where those who can afford to have to pay for routine non-urgent comparatively minor complaints. With so many expensive procedures nowadays it may well be the future.

henetha Sat 19-Jun-21 11:39:25

I suspect, DiscoDancer1975, that the surgery would be wanting me to do it at home as they seem to be overwhelmingly busy and somewhat unhelpful at present.
Thank you smile

Puzzled Fri 18-Jun-21 17:08:26

At last visit to Audiology, told that there was wax in my right ear.
Tried Bi carbonate of Soda Ear Drops.
Did not do any good,
Put in Olive Oil from Boots, (lots) three or four times, and tried to sleep with the right ear up wards, so that the oil would drain into the ear.
Towel on pillow to catch any overnight drips

After about a week, ear felt (No longer plugged up) and sounded better.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 18-Jun-21 12:09:00

Aww, bless you. I’m the same...can go years without anything, then bang. The ear wax puts pressure on the middle, and then onto the inner ear, where the vertigo comes from.
I find the Epley manoeuvre works well. Do ask about it, because you may be able to do it on your own at home.
All the best?

henetha Fri 18-Jun-21 11:26:54

Thankyou DiscoDancer1975. It is a darned nuisance. I've tried twice to have my ears syringed and the vertigo starts immediately and is truly awful. I get random attacks, sometimes years apart, and usually for no apparent reason.
I didn't realise that wax itself can bring on vertigo, certainly the nurse didn't mention that. I will ask again at the surgery because it's several years now since I tried.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 18-Jun-21 09:01:09

henetha

I can't because it brings on an attack of my vertigo.

Don’t know if you’re still reading, but having earwax can bring on vertigo if you’re prone to it. Better to have the wax removed.
The nurse should be able to carry out the Epley manoeuvre afterwards, and it usually settles. Get someone to drive you there in case.
Vertigo is horrible is it?

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 18-Jun-21 08:33:17

I’ve literally just been told I need my ears syringing. I’ve to put oil in for two weeks. I heard it was no longer done on the NHS, but the nurse at my surgery said that was just in the thick of covid. They’ve started again.
As an ex nurse, I would advise anyone to never do it themselves, no matter how easy it seems.

May7 Thu 17-Jun-21 11:38:10

Yes ACULIFE EAR CLEANSER
works really well. It washes out the wax with 3 water jets and warm water. It doesnt actually syringe it out. Our surgery stopped ear wax removal a while ago don't know why but suspect its money related. Anyway DH bought this from Amazon and its AMAZing

Sparklefizz Thu 17-Jun-21 11:20:35

I know, Calendargirl but I suppose some GPs stick to the "old fashioned" way even when something much better has come along.

One GN member told me recently that she suffered for 4 months after having her ears syringed so now she will only have micro suction.

Calendargirl Thu 17-Jun-21 11:06:47

Sparklefizz

Calendargirl Told him to put olive oil in, they no longer do syringing, ‘not recommended’. Code for ‘Not paid to do this anymore?’

Actually, it seriously is not recommended by the National Assoc for the Deaf as it can damage the eardrum.

But it seems odd that some GP’s are still syringing ears, if it causes damage,

Sparklefizz Thu 17-Jun-21 10:25:49

Calendargirl Told him to put olive oil in, they no longer do syringing, ‘not recommended’. Code for ‘Not paid to do this anymore?’

Actually, it seriously is not recommended by the National Assoc for the Deaf as it can damage the eardrum.

faringdon59 Thu 17-Jun-21 09:31:39

The reason you are able to still get it done at a GP practice in some areas, but not in others, would be done to whatever decision has been made by the CCG for your area.
Not advisable to try and do it yourself. Having had micro-suction done at my GP about two years ago, it is a much safer process than syringing.

Calendargirl Thu 17-Jun-21 09:27:31

Finally got DH to go to the GP yesterday with a painful knee and poor hearing.

Looked in his ears, one full of dried wax, couldn’t see eardrum, the other not quite as bad but not good.

Told him to put olive oil in, they no longer do syringing, ‘not recommended’. Code for ‘Not paid to do this anymore?’

Have started with the olive oil, then will sort out getting them cleaned privately.

The painful knee is another story.

yggdrasil Thu 17-Jun-21 09:16:46

My ear can hear again. His device was a little pink thing with a ballon bit on one end and a thin syringe. He filled it with warm water and kept washing till wax came out. Apparently you can get these on Amazon. You can do it yourself ( he did) but it is a lot easier if someone else does as it takes 3 hands to do it including holding the bowl under your ear

notnecessarilywiser Wed 16-Jun-21 11:34:20

Witzend

I don’t think they do it at our GP any more.
Dh had his done (I think by suction) at Specsavers, about £50 IIRC. Not all branches do it though.

Yes, it's £55 for one ear or two at Specsavers, and no wax no fee!

yggdrasil Wed 16-Jun-21 11:22:42

I have been suffering from one ear being blocked for a while, it make me feel very unbalanced. My partner has a device he has used well on himself and he will help me after work today.
My optician will do it, but he charges £99