Gransnet forums

Health

What was your childhood cuddly toy called? ?

(159 Posts)
ZadieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 19-Mar-21 17:10:22

It’s our last Sleep Week thread, and so we wanted to end the week on a nostalgic note. Can you remember your favourite childhood cuddly toy and what was it called? Full disclosure, mine was a teddy called… Ted. Very inventive. wink

By posting on this thread you could win one of the fabulous spot prizes we have on offer this week - please see our Sleep Week page here for details of the prizes and for the T&Cs. Don’t forget - we’ll be picking 5 winners at random from threads across the week, so the more threads you post on, the more chance you have of winning!

Don’t forget to stay in touch. Sign up to our newsletter here.

flowersfromheaven Sun 21-Mar-21 21:26:13

I had a rag doll called Lucy Lou.

MamaCaz Sun 21-Mar-21 20:43:42

I only remember having one cuddly toy, and it was called Teddy, of course ?.
I still had it when my eldest son was a toddler, but it mysteriously disappeared - I suspect he 'posted' it through the swing-lid of the kitchen rubbish bin ?

Jaxjacky Sun 21-Mar-21 20:32:26

I can’t remember his name, he was a dog, a bit spaniel like, I remember his neck, at the top had to be re sown as the stuffing was coming out. To get to sleep I used to pick fluff of my blanket and hold it near my nose as I sucked my thumb. My brother had a piece of cloth he called ‘piece’, I remember Mum trying to get it away to wash was a right palaver.

PippaZ Sun 21-Mar-21 19:24:12

Grandma70s

A bit of probably irrelevant nostalgia. There have been one or two mentions of Brumas the polar bear cub. When I was 10 I queued with my mother at London Zoo for hours and hours, or so it seemed to me, in order to see Brumas. There were announcements telling us to move on once we had seen him. I think it was 1950.

Don't want to take this too far off thread as it's a lovely read but Grandma's memories reminded me of a doll I had when I was about 4 or 5. She was black (very unusual then) and called Boko and I couldn't remember why so I looked it up and it all came flooding back. Boko was the shortened name of the surviving baby of conjoined twins and it was all in the news that they had separated them. It may even have been the first time they had done the separation but I don't really know about that. All I can think is well done Mum and Dad for extending my world.

narrowboatnan Sun 21-Mar-21 15:52:09

I don’t remember having a cuddly toy. I had a rubber bendy Noddy doll though. It was made of some kind of rubber and smelt funny. I didn’t take it to bed though.

TwinLolly Sun 21-Mar-21 14:57:26

Ted, renamed Patches, as per my story earlier on in this thread. He seriously needs fixing up more!confused

Nanna58 Sun 21-Mar-21 14:56:19

It was a disreputable toy dog that went by the name of ‘ Ragsiepoo’ ?

Harris27 Sun 21-Mar-21 14:54:07

Teeny tiny tears oh how I loved that doll!

lizzypopbottle Sun 21-Mar-21 13:32:00

Monty

essjay Sun 21-Mar-21 11:00:42

a teddy bear called mark charles, he went every where with me, became very thread bear, missing an eye. unfortunately lost him during my divorce

Roses Sun 21-Mar-21 10:55:56

My teddy was called Suzie she wore white knickers and a green gingham dress my new husband did not want her coming to our new house when we got married but she did . Can't remember when I eventually realised she was no longer with us

I also loved my little black doll called Boko she only had one leg

SecondhandRose Sun 21-Mar-21 10:42:51

Not a toy but a blanket. Still have it in a different form. Called Scratchy! In bed with me right now!! I am 53

montydoo Sun 21-Mar-21 10:40:56

As a small girl, I always loved (and still do) love elephants, and my childhood teddy Nellephant sits on my bedroom chair, he reminds me of happy times, tea parties and making dens together .

EthelTheTank Sun 21-Mar-21 10:36:20

My bear was called Oxo like some gravy.

MountainAsh Sun 21-Mar-21 10:26:50

I was never interested in dolls or teddy bears.
My beloved Sooty puppet gave me lots of comfort.

Craftycat Sun 21-Mar-21 10:23:23

I took 2 teddies to bed- Teddy (original huh!!) & Cuddly. I still have them somewhere!

Grandma70s Sun 21-Mar-21 08:25:45

A bit of probably irrelevant nostalgia. There have been one or two mentions of Brumas the polar bear cub. When I was 10 I queued with my mother at London Zoo for hours and hours, or so it seemed to me, in order to see Brumas. There were announcements telling us to move on once we had seen him. I think it was 1950.

19panda Sun 21-Mar-21 08:03:18

Floppy a giant blue and white bunny. I remember my dad bringing him home when I had been in bed for days with scarlet fever

nanna8 Sun 21-Mar-21 05:53:08

I think he was Bruno. My daughter had Elly Bunny and when she was about 10 she seemed to have lost interest in it so I chucked it out. I got told off for killing Elly bunny. Shame.

Kiwibird Sun 21-Mar-21 02:14:40

'Quack Quack' was a most beloved knitted duck. His beak was crooked, his waistcoat was very fancy and he spent his nights inside my bed, down beside my feet for many many years. Was given him at age 1. Sadly when away at a bible class camp at around age 14yrs Quack Quack disappeared. Surely not in the rubbish bin !! I think my parents may have thought that age 14yrs was a little old for a knitted duck. I did love him though and now at age 74yrs can still 'see' him in my mind.

Sandrahill Sun 21-Mar-21 00:47:40

Tom bear. My first attachment to a toy but at the age of 4yrs I lost him whilst visiting a local jumble sale. Cried myself to sleep. No other teddy matched up after that

sallysmum Sat 20-Mar-21 23:24:45

My china doll is called Sylvia, she is eighty six years old this coming Boxing Day when I will be ninety. The rubber bands that keep her together are very thin now and I have to be careful her arrms or legs dont fall off, it is mostĺy her clothes that are keeping her together. She is still much loved. Anyone know of a dolls hospital that could repair her please?

Bijou Sat 20-Mar-21 23:20:08

My cuddly toy was cartoon cat called Felix. There was a film cartoon cat in the 1920s. “Felix kept on walking”
In 1949 I managed to buy my then one year son a teddy. They were in short supply then. At that time the first polar bear cub was born in London Zoo called Brumas. He was just beginning to talk and called his bear Brumuf. 72 years later he is in my sitting room very much worn and patched. The bear no my son!

CLP58 Sat 20-Mar-21 22:23:23

My favourite was a white plastic poodle called Nicky who came from a stall at a fairground. He must have been badly made as his head used to fall off and have to be repaired by my mother, but I loved him!

rozina Sat 20-Mar-21 22:04:55

Oswold, a really scruffy bear!!