Gransnet forums

Health

Short-term memory......?‍♀️

(112 Posts)
Shinamae Sun 28-Mar-21 23:54:38

I am only 68 but my short-term memory is terrible, ask me what happened 30 years ago and I can probably tell you,ask me what happened two days ago and I won’t have a clue.... in fact it’s even worse than that because sometimes I can’t remember what I’ve done in the morning by the time the evening comes....

grannybuy Tue 30-Mar-21 11:02:30

I'm so glad I'm not alone. I start to walk towards something, like the fridge, and suddenly can't remember what I'm doing. I pick up the kettle, and start pouring into the wrong receptacle. Last July, my DD came to visit after not seeing each other since Christmas, and I was really worried that she'd notice. It was fine, ( I think! ), possibly because I was more focused. I'm beginning to think that it's an attention deficit thing, for whatever reason - though I have been under great stress for the last few years.

Newatthis Tue 30-Mar-21 11:07:07

Me too! I find verbalising helpful too, not sure why but it seems to work.

CurlyMops Tue 30-Mar-21 11:13:42

It's heart warming to hear that I'm not alone in forgetting things. I have a fried who is a little older than I am, and she says it's because our 'hard drive' is full.
I stick post it notes around the place to remind me. EG If i've left the freezer's on fast freeze in the garage, or when I last blew the tyres up, to remind me when to check them again.
I label all jars with the date I opened them, after accidentally finding mould at the bottom of a carton of cranberry juice .... after having just had several glasses .... Yuck! Feeling sick at the thought and how I grabbed my neck, as if this would have made any difference!!!!!
Time seems to have changed. A week feels like just a couple of days ...... I wish it would slow down so I can keep up!!!! Laughing!

Happysexagenarian Tue 30-Mar-21 11:16:11

I'm another one who walks into a room to do something and then can't remember why I'm there! My husband is away at the moment and asked me what I had had for lunch - he thinks I won't bother to eat. I couldn't remember. It was only 4 hours earlier. I'm 70 but it doesn't really worry me. I've always found I remember things better (eg people's names) if I say them out loud or associate them with something else.

4allweknow Tue 30-Mar-21 11:17:18

Only last night I tested myself to recall what I'd had for dinner the previous evening. Took me ages but I did get there eventually. Worrying at times!

kircubbin2000 Tue 30-Mar-21 11:20:39

I forgot to let the cat in this morning. He normally goes out for an early run and comes in at 7 when I'm having a cup of tea.We then go back to bed and watch tv. It could be the time change or the fact that I had my jab and feel very tired.

greenlady102 Tue 30-Mar-21 11:30:13

I have been like it all my life....its a great comfort as I know its not dementia smile

icanhandthemback Tue 30-Mar-21 11:44:50

Welcome to my world! I am trying to keep my mind agile by doing Cryptic Crosswords...it isn't really working.

Nagmad2016 Tue 30-Mar-21 11:46:01

This happens to me all of the time. I have done a mindfulness course in the past and now I try to be 'in the moment' ie. when I go to do something, just concentrate on that one thing for a moment. I think we do so much on auto pilot, while running several thoughts through our minds at the same time. I also do as Peasblossom and verbalise what I am doing, like "Iron off" and "door locked". I might still go back and check, but it works most of the time.

Jillybird Tue 30-Mar-21 11:47:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Forestflame Tue 30-Mar-21 12:14:38

I think lockdown hasn't helped with issues like this. We aren't going anywhere and all the days merge into one....

Candelle Tue 30-Mar-21 12:15:48

25 years ago two very smart plain clothes police officers knocked at my door and asked if it was my car parked in my drive. When I said yes, they told me that they need to speak to me about something very serious (and they looked extremely grave). I invited them in and they proceeded to ask me questions as to my whereabouts on a certain day several weeks before. It was obviously regarding something important but I didn't have a clue as to where I was and they were becoming a little frustrated with me (and I was mentally panicking wondering if I had perhaps run someone over and not known...). Fortunately, my daughter who was at home, recovering from major surgery piped up with 'I know! We were at the surgery having my stitches removed!'.

Thank goodness for her input - my car's number plate had been cloned and used in an armed robbery! I was fortunate that I could prove my whereabouts (and I think it was realised by now that I was not an archetypical armed robber) but normally would have absolutely no idea as to what I did the previous day without much thought.

There is a blank dark hole when I am asked, for example, what I have been doing during the past week. Without recourse to my diary, I haven't a clue so am pleased to read that I am not alone and that many of us have the same problem.

cupcake1 Tue 30-Mar-21 12:33:32

If you asked me what the registration number of my car is I couldn’t tell you- had it 3 years but I can remember the number of the first car my dad had when i was 6 ?! DH is the same he takes a photo on the phone when we stay away in a hotel (pre covid) as they always ask for the registration number, he’s 68!

nannypiano Tue 30-Mar-21 12:36:42

I didn't think my memory was too bad, although I sometimes forget what I've gone into another room for. But the other day I did get worried, when I had tidied one side of my bed and walked round the other side to finish off, then stopped half way because I couldn't remember why I was walking round the bed. Must admit, I did slightly panic. Should I be worried?

Aepgirl Tue 30-Mar-21 12:51:48

I think lockdown has a lot to answer for (although it has obviously done its job as far as COVID is concerned). Every morning on waking I used to think about my day ahead, my clubs etc for the day, but now there is no real structure to each day.
I’m hoping that when I can start back with my various activities, my brain will function as it used to

Grandmabatty Tue 30-Mar-21 12:52:48

I'm getting forgetful as I get older but it doesn't bother me. Years ago, my lovely dad was very worried about it and went to the doctor who told him it was nothing to worry about, it happens to many people as they age and it's called Benign senile forgetfulness. I don't like the senile bit so I 'forget' to mention that part. ?

Daisend1 Tue 30-Mar-21 13:07:57

Reading all the comments how reassuring to know I am not alone.

Bellanonna Tue 30-Mar-21 13:26:37

Wonderfully reassuring thread!

Jess20 Tue 30-Mar-21 13:41:51

I don't think the lockdown helps as it robs us of so many of the little cues and reminders that keep us fully engaged in life. If you really are concerned, ask to be referred to a memory clinic X

Matelda Tue 30-Mar-21 13:48:25

I'm over 70 and started learning Spanish last July. I have done a little every day and have actually been able to watch my short term memory improving. My favourite conversational language app is Speakly and my favourite vocabulary app is Lingvist. I can say all sorts of things now, can read newspapers and have made new friends online (there are lots of us lockdown oldies out there). And I can remember things!

timetogo2016 Tue 30-Mar-21 13:50:29

Same here Shinamae.
And it drives me crazy,but apparently it`s because we store too much information so were in overload,suits me.

Oldwoman70 Tue 30-Mar-21 14:04:07

I have lost count of the number of times I walk into a room and forget why I am there, or switched on the oven - walked into another room and then back into the kitchen because I couldn't remember if I had switched it on. I am sure it is a matter of not concentrating on what I am doing and trying to think of several things at once. Funnily enough, I can always remember what I had for dinner!

Pammie1 Tue 30-Mar-21 14:16:14

I hate to have to say this, but it could also be a sign of underlying problems - it’s probably not, and as others have said, it could be stress related, but I would see your GP just to get checked out.

Camelotclub Tue 30-Mar-21 14:39:39

If you can knit, I find complicated patterns help. It uses your maths too! I made this during the lockdown last year. Every row is different!

BrandyGran Tue 30-Mar-21 15:43:41

If you forget where you put your keys ,that is normal, but if you forget what your keys are for, that is ...something to worry about. A dr told me this . Hope this makes us all feel better!