Gransnet forums

Health

process of dying

(27 Posts)
CanadianGran Mon 12-Apr-21 19:31:00

My dear mother-in-law is near the end of her days. She is 91 and has health issues since last fall. She has had her Covid vaccine but still was tested positive on Good Friday.

Other than a fever she has had no symptoms, but that was enough to set her along the path to the end. She was taking very little food in the weeks before that, and in a lot of pain from various other health issues.

My query is about the amount of time without liquids. She has not had any liquid since Good Friday Apr 2. The very rare sip of water, and a few drops administered by dropper to moisten her mouth. I thought she would pass within 3 days, but it is now 10 days of no nourishment or liquid and heavily medicated to remain calm. She occasionally will have a spell of tremors which is very hard to see, and will be medicated again to rest.

Surprisingly the staff at the long term care facility has allowed visitation (full PPE) which is a godsend; my DH and I have been taking turns going up. But how long can a body last? What had been your experience?

I don't want to re-awaken sad experience memories for others, but want to know if this is exceptionally unusual for a person to last so long in palliative state. My heart is breaking for her, and at this point I want a peaceful end for her.

sodapop Mon 19-Apr-21 09:15:59

My thoughts and sympathy are with you and your family Canadiangran especially your husband. thanks