Gransnet forums

Health

Caffeine withdrawals.

(39 Posts)
Crystal46 Thu 15-Apr-21 18:29:32

I wonder if anyone can provide any tips for dealing with caffeine withdrawals?

Today is the first day without the beloved strong coffee I have become dependant on for many years, and I have a headache and am even dopier than usual.

I made this decision - probably not forever! - because I realised yesterday that all sorts of physical niggles I was beginning to notice were very likely a sign that I was over-indulging and my body needed a rest. When I told my husband he wasn’t at all surprised!

maryelizabethsadler Mon 19-Apr-21 16:05:35

I did this years ago and it was very simple: I had a certain amount of 'proper' instant coffee in a jar. Every time I spooned some out to make coffee I replaced it with an equal amount of decaf coffee, until the coffee in the jar eventually became all decaffeinated. Once I got to that change I was able to choose whether or not to have a (decaf) coffee, fruit tea, tea etc etc.. It took two or three weeks but I literally didn't notice the change. Good luck!

NannieDeb Sun 18-Apr-21 08:01:56

I have never drunk coffee but get through lots of cups of tea in a day. I used to have terrible headaches lasting for 2 - 3 days every time I went abroad on holiday. I eventually worked out that it must be the caffeine withdrawal as I never drank tea abroad (it just never tasted right). So I decided to go ‘caffeine free’ a few years ago. I definitely sleep better and now can enjoy my holidays from the off (or I will when we can eventually resume foreign travel). I find that the caffeine free coka cola is just as nice as regular version too, especially if you mix it with a drop of Bacardi ?

olliebeak Sun 18-Apr-21 00:00:22

A few years back, I developed a very serious dependence on caffeine. My warning signs were 'migraine-style headaches' if I went for longer than 6hrs (overnight) without caffeine - or two hours during the day - PLUS extremely high Blood Pressure.

I sorted it over a period of about two months by gradually replacing the 'odd' cup of full caffeine with a 'decaff' one. After a week or so, I would then increase the number of 'decaffs'. I felt really triumphant when I got to the stage where I could alternate one of each throughout the day.

About 30yrs ago, Nescafe brought out a 'Low Caffeine Coffee', but I've not seen it around for years. You could try half a spoonful of 'full caffeine' and half a spoonful of 'decaff' - or just mix two jars together in a container, giving it a really good stir wink.

Nowadays, I start the day with 'full caffeine' and then 'decaff' from lunchtime onwards grin. No more 'migraine-style headaches' and Blood Pressure is far more reasonable.

Harmonypuss Sat 17-Apr-21 02:14:37

Don't just go 'cold turkey', alternate between caffeine and decaf for a few days and then gradually introduce more decaf over the next few weeks. By the time you get to the end of a month you should be able to have completely ditched the caffeine without any headaches etc.
Decaf coffee is much better now than it used to be.
The majority of coffee shops will have to open a pack specifically for you if you ask for decaf because there's not so much demand for it, so there's no need to worry on that score.
I switched to decaf many years ago because caffeine aggravates one of my health conditions and if I accidentally have it now, that's when I get a headache any start bouncing off the walls!

nanna8 Sat 17-Apr-21 01:19:01

I have a freshly brewed coffee first thing in the morning and mostly that’s it though sometimes I have another if we are out shopping. When I was working I got these heart palpitations and thought it was stress but my doctor asked me how much coffee I was drinking. It was 5 or more cups a day, just instant. Cut it right down and the palpitations disappeared!

Nanniejude Fri 16-Apr-21 22:48:46

I only have decaf tea now, drank two cups of normal tea at a friends house and it gave me a racing heart! All that caffeine can’t be good for you!

Secondwind Fri 16-Apr-21 17:27:37

I went cold turkey and was very surprised how unwell and generally weird I felt! With hindsight, I should have gradually reduced my intake over a period of time and would advise anyone else to do the same. To the best of my recollection things took the best part of a week to settle down.

Crystal46 Fri 16-Apr-21 17:24:24

Able to enjoy much more strenuous exercise! One day! ?

Esspee Fri 16-Apr-21 12:52:53

I helped a loved one by mixing decaf with the usual coffee in ever increasing quantities. I did it over 2-3 months by which time they were totally on decaf at home. Didn’t tell them until they had been “clean” for 2-3 weeks.
They thought they couldn’t do it. I just proved they had.
Interestingly their heart rhythm improved and they were able to enjoy much more strenuous exercise.

Buttonjugs Fri 16-Apr-21 12:47:13

I had to give up caffeine on doctors orders due to irritable bladder. I introduced decaf slowly , mixing it with normal coffee and reducing the amount of said coffee over a week until it was all decaf. No withdrawal symptoms.

Candelle Fri 16-Apr-21 11:59:20

I used to drink diet coca cola and laughed at the idea of caffeine-free cc when it first came out.

I eventually decided to try the caffeine-free variety so went cold turkey. I didn't have the headaches but perhaps there was less caffeine in the cc than in coffee.
I enjoyed the slightly different flavour but bit by bit my consumption rose to around four cans a day.

Last year, when in lockdown, I just 'went off' the whole fizzy drinks thing and haven't had one since.

Lovely cold water for me!

Riggie Fri 16-Apr-21 11:32:42

Tina1957

I too have given up caffeine after drinking it for many years,because of a health issue. I don’t think it tastes any different and feel so much better.Good luck to you

Me too. I used to treat myself to a premium brand of coffee, for occasional use only as it was pretty strong. Now I can use the decaff version all the time!
We have realised that every few months or so it will be reduced to half price so stock up when it is!

And I actually went almost cold turkey with no problems. "Almost" as I still have one weak "real" tea in the mornings as I have yet to find a decent decaff tea.

jaylucy Fri 16-Apr-21 11:23:14

I can remember that the first time I was pregnant, I went right off coffee - and I used to make a large jug of coffee each morning that held 8 cups, put it in a flask and it was empty by lunchtime if not sooner!
I just went cold turkey and it wasn't until I saw my doctor for my monthly check up that I mentioned the headaches and we worked out it was due to the lack of caffeine!
I suppose that going half and half, caffeinated/decaffeinated coffee could possibly work but you would need to be strict in lowering the amount of caffeinated you are using.
Don't forget that some types of soft drink also contain caffeine .

leeds22 Fri 16-Apr-21 11:21:01

No need to go go cold turkey, just reduce your caffeine gradually. I now have only one caffeinated coffee, in the mornings. And I don’t trust cafes/restaurants to actually give you a decaf coffee.

Jan51 Fri 16-Apr-21 11:15:19

There was a question to a doctor on a tv program recently ,(can't remember which one) and the advice was not to just stop but to cut down gradually over a coupleof weeks or so.

Daffydilly Fri 16-Apr-21 11:15:12

Definitely don't go cold turkey. Take it steady, reduce gradually, even if it takes weeks.

icanhandthemback Fri 16-Apr-21 11:11:41

glammagran, it was my bean to cup machine that made me start really enjoying coffee. Like you, I simply can't imagine starting the day without such a delicious cup of coffee.

icanhandthemback Fri 16-Apr-21 11:09:22

Last time I gave up caffeine, I suffered more severe withdrawal symptoms more akin with long term diazepam use. I had a severe headache for a few days but the jittery feeling along with depression lasted for a much longer period. I didn't even realise what it was until I started drinking coffee again. It has rather put me off ever doing it again although I now limit my intake to couple of cups a day first thing in the morning. If I did have to stop drinking coffee, I would cut down very slowly.

Tina1957 Fri 16-Apr-21 11:04:02

I too have given up caffeine after drinking it for many years,because of a health issue. I don’t think it tastes any different and feel so much better.Good luck to you

glammagran Fri 16-Apr-21 11:02:45

In my 20’s and 30’s I also drank 4-5 mugs of very strong filter coffee a day, a habit picked up from my mother. It made me jittery and gave me palpitations. I cut down over the years to a couple of mugs a day both taken before 12pm in our Sage bean to cup machine and all is fine. I simply cannot imagine not coming to in the morning without my coffee. Have loose leaf tea in the afternoon and ginger teabag in the evening before bed.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 16-Apr-21 10:59:47

instead of decaff coffee, try Barley Cup tastes similar and much cheaper.

sazz1 Fri 16-Apr-21 10:54:01

Change to instant coffee and mix jars of decaff and normal coffee first. Then gradually add in more decaff over a few weeks until it's pure decaff.
Caffeine is addictive and causes bad headaches when you stop suddenly HTH

Katyj Fri 16-Apr-21 09:26:57

I gave up coffee a few years ago, actually by mistake , I bought decaff and didn’t notice the difference, apart from the headaches and tiredness didn’t know what was up with me, until I realised two weeks later,
seems daft now.
I decided to carry on, but then realised I was missing it so much, my mood had seemed to take a nosedive too.
I drink coffee now, but have the last one at 3pm. A little of what you fancy in moderation does you good, plus coffee supposedly has some health benefits.

Kim19 Fri 16-Apr-21 08:51:45

I've moved from coffee to drinking chocolate. Haven't noticed any physical difference but perhaps because it happened gradually by whim rather than design. Don't even know if chocolate contains caffeine. Must check when I get downstairs.

dogsmother Fri 16-Apr-21 08:45:59

Interesting thread. I love a coffee and have over the last six o4 nine month’s started to wean down, I needed to mix the decaf with the caffeinated at first as nothing tasted quite right. It was worthwhile though as I sleep better and generally am better for it!