Gransnet forums

Health

What is the best way to dress/treat a broken big toe nail?

(16 Posts)
JaneJudge Wed 19-May-21 13:36:05

I have form for doing this and I know it is minor compared to what other people are having to go through.

I put my neighbours bin out for them today as their teenage son was still in bed and in the rush I went over my big toe. It has taken the nail completely out at the one and broken the skin. I soaked it and then cut away as much nail as i could and held it tightly in several plasters as I had to drop my daughter into college.

I've just taken off the plasters and put some savlon on and re plastered but is it better to use something other than savlon? and maybe gauze and tape rather than plasters?

I imagine I'll have to see a chiropodist one its settled a bit so they can deal with the rest of the nail.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 19-May-21 14:05:21

I would leave it open to the air as much as possible.

I damaged both big toenails several years ago and that was what I was advised to do.

Cherrytree59 Wed 19-May-21 16:27:26

I knocked my big toe nail on the metal steps coming out of the swimming pool last October.

It was broken right across the nail bed and also at one side.
Only just connected at the other side.

Being a woose I could not bare to mess with it and I knew it would eventually fall off (which eventually did in about November.

First problem to solve was to keep nail in place at home and in the pool.
I padded the toe nail area with lint and tied gauze around it.
I then covered with tubular bandage.

From Amazon I purchased waterproof pool/ beach foot shoes ( bit like soft ballet shoes),
to use when the swim pool was open and in the shower.

When the nail eventually fell off,
I only used a small piece of lint and tubular bandage to protect the soft area when wearing outdoor shoes.

Thankfully my toenail has now started to grow back and no longer needs padding.

JaneJudge Thu 20-May-21 07:43:38

Thank you both. It is less throbbing today, thank goodness. It looks clean but is weeping a clear liquid, which I guess is a good sign smile the dog keeps standing on it though hmm I'm pretty sure she doesn't normally!

BigBertha1 Thu 20-May-21 07:50:59

I've done it too several times as I never wear shoes in doors. Keep it clean and dry. I would never use Savlon or other creams like that and if you can get some non stick dressings and tape that will be good for when you want to put a shoe on. Jolly painful and inconvenient.

FannyCornforth Thu 20-May-21 08:17:51

Ouch! ?
Ooh Jane that does sound painful.
As if you haven't got enough on your plate.
The bit about the dog made me smile though. They do love getting in the way

dogsmother Thu 20-May-21 09:10:15

Can I just say beware infection whatever way you treat it, it is important to try and keep it clean and dry whilst it’s healing.

Calendargirl Thu 20-May-21 09:13:48

And you were being a good neighbour!

I bet you blessed the idle teenage son lolling about in bed while you suffer!

EllanVannin Thu 20-May-21 09:15:28

As dogsmother said, keep an eye on it in case of infection, it's so important with the feet.

JaneJudge Thu 20-May-21 09:22:34

Thank you everyone. I will keep an eye on it and contact my GP if I need to, they are generally pretty good at dealing with you if you need them. I did curse the son a bit! grin

AcornFairy Thu 20-May-21 09:22:53

Having just endured the delights of an ingrowing toenail I would suggest the gauze and tape option you mention. Plasters can stick where you don't want them to and then when you try to remove them the pain can be something else!! Infection needs to be guarded against so exposing to air for quicker healing needs to be weighed up against keeping it covered for protection. Best wishes.

ElaineI Thu 20-May-21 19:09:20

We used jelonet (vaseline impregnated gauze) and a non-stick dressing with a finger glove (comfifast) on top in my Treatment Room. Kept dry and changed every 2 days.

Fennel Fri 21-May-21 11:41:26

I would try to get an appt. with your GP or at least the practice nurse.
Or go to A&E. It must be very painful.

Sparkling Wed 26-May-21 06:18:12

Clean and dry, no pressure on it. I symphathise.

JaneJudge Tue 15-Jun-21 17:24:03

update for anyone who doesn't mind feet

it has kept clean and not become infected, all the trauma wounds have healed too.

now the skin is peeling around the toenail and the remianing toenail is 4/5 white. I presume it is dying?

at this point do I wait or book an appointment with a podiatrist?

thank you smile

Oldbat1 Tue 15-Jun-21 18:11:34

Sounds so so painful. I would go to a minor injuries unit if there is one near you or if you are lucky at our gp surgery you can self refer to see a podiatrist so that may be worth checking out in your area. Good luck.