Gransnet forums

Health

Help - anyone else have food allergies?

(12 Posts)
Bashful Tue 08-Jun-21 00:33:59

I am allergic to yeast and wheat! I’m really struggling and have been for a long time. Finally, I found that I felt a lot better on the Lean for Life way of eating by Louise Parker. However, I have to miss out any bread that she suggests eating. I also lose weight easily on it. Great ? you might think, but it’s really hard to stick to, not because the recipes don’t taste good, they do, but because I become really constipated on it!!
Also - it includes eating a lot of dairy which I didn’t think was good to eat if you had a yeast allergy. I just want to feel great without the symptoms that go along with my allergies and if I cut out dairy as well I think I’d be missing out on vital nutrients.
I have another health worry at the moment and so many gransnetters have reassured me with that - maybe someone out there has some advice regarding my allergies? All advice gratefully received. Thank you in advance.

CafeAuLait Tue 08-Jun-21 00:45:25

Can you have nuts? There are some good 90 second keto bread recipes out there that use almond flour. Maybe that's something you could look at?

I don't do a lot of dairy but I do include a lot of vegetables. Soup and 90 second keto bread? Maybe more fibre through veges? Apple sauce? Smoothies with non-dairy milk?

CafeAuLait Tue 08-Jun-21 00:48:02

Forgot - and salads. I love vege salads with or without grains. Make enough for two days running. Brown rice pasta mixed with pesto.

Bashful Tue 08-Jun-21 00:52:23

Thank you@CafeAuLait.
Some good suggestions. I eat mountains of veggies already but the brown rice pasta I could try that and maybe eat more nuts. Maybe a keto diet would suit me better if it doesn’t contain wheat or yeast, not sure will have to investigate that. Although I had heard that a keto diet isn’t healthy?

CafeAuLait Tue 08-Jun-21 01:14:37

I have never done the keto diet myself, but the bread recipe looks good, quick and easy. I don't do much wheat myself. Maybe some keto recipes would work well for you because of the ingredient substitutions? You could always adapt them with extra veges or whatever if you aren't counting the carbs the way someone following keto would.

nadateturbe Tue 08-Jun-21 01:35:50

I have three prunes every morning to address constipation. I don't know how that fits with your diet.

nadateturbe Tue 08-Jun-21 09:41:43

I must look at Lean for Lfe. Haven't heard of that one.

Kali2 Tue 08-Jun-21 09:49:30

I think it is hugely important to distinguish between true allergies and inconvenient intolerances.

The latter are inconvenient, sometimes VERY much so.
The first can kill.

Redhead56 Tue 08-Jun-21 10:47:53

I am allergic to shellfish found out years ago while on holiday. I felt ill and had anaphylactic shock I have never eaten shell fish since. More recently I have developed reflux and I find eating smaller meals helps. I rarely eat bread as it positively chokes me even the gluten free varieties.
When my husband was diagnosed diabetic I went on NHS websites and got the apps for healthy eating most helpful.

aggie Tue 08-Jun-21 10:57:14

A friend decided she was gluten intolerant and eats weird diet , resulting in awful gut problems and weight loss , I think you need proper NHS Doctors and Dietitian advice instead of asking strangers

PippaZ Tue 08-Jun-21 11:08:44

Try looking at FODMAP recipes. It is designed for those with IBS and excludes ingredients that are high in short-chain carbohydrates of which wheat comes very high - not because wheat itself is high in short-chain carbohydrates (fodmaps) but because we use so very much in our normal diet. I have never met someone with IBS who isn't intolerant to it.

Also, written with those who are celiac or following the fodmap system, is How to Make Anything Gluten-Free by Becky Excell which, by the nature of gluten means they will not have wheat in. Wheat does sneak into a lot of food where you wouldn't expect it so you might also find it useful to join her FB Group called Becky Excell - Gluten-free Recipes, Products + Support. You can get a great deal of support from those who have been dealing with this for some time.

Bashful Tue 08-Jun-21 21:42:32

Thanks all.