Gransnet forums

Health

General aches and pains.

(6 Posts)
NanKate Sun 13-Jun-21 07:39:22

What do you do to reduce general aches and pains associated with ageing?

During this past year I have noticed I find it harder to undo caps on bottles, open jam jars etc I have devices to overcome the problem but would like some simple exercises to strengthen my wrists.

My body aches on waking and this slowly reduces during the day.

I walk every day and do Qigong as I think it is important to keep moving. Also I do a massage of my hands which I found on YouTube and really has loosened them up.

Any tips please.

Baggs Sun 13-Jun-21 09:09:52

It sounds to me as if you are doing all the right things, NanKate. Having had arthritis from a very young age, I'm not convinced there's anything one can do other than carry on doing one's best and, in my case, take painkillers.

What I have noticed is that, when young (twenties, thirties), I could carry on – Highland dancing, hill-walking, cycling – through the pain barrier. Now, I can't. I have to pace myself much more or else crash for several days.

All the best.

NanKate Sun 13-Jun-21 09:29:49

I feel for you Baggs at least for me it is a recent problem. I shall glug down a paracetamol and go for my daily walk. I feel a bit guilty for being so self-indulgent when many of my friends have far worse health problems.

dragonfly46 Sun 13-Jun-21 09:39:53

I sympathise NanKate and Baggs. I take tablets which cause muscle ache and my arthritis has worsened in the last year.
I do try not to grunt when getting out of a chair but it is not always easy.
I find as the day wears on the aches ease except yesterday when I walked a few steps too far.
Often a hot bath helps.

grannyrebel7 Sun 13-Jun-21 10:11:49

Try taking some turmeric tablets. These have helped my DH's arthritis.

NanKate Sun 13-Jun-21 11:16:03

Grannyr I started turmeric tabs 3 weeks go and as yet no change, but it could be early days. I may increase to 2 tabs a day as recommended.

It eases off with me too dragonfly as the day progresses. I suspect we were born in the same year so no wonder we are a bit achy. Jill Biden is 4/5 years younger than us and look at her ?