Gransnet forums

Health

I can’t stop crying! Help!

(16 Posts)
mrsmopp Sun 13-Jun-21 16:05:23

I’ve never been like this before. Is it just me? I’m 76 years old and we all have our ups and downs but always come through but I find myself weeping for no obvious reason and it’s so out of character. I could blame covid and the fact that I don’t see family due to distance. Doctors have enough on their plate. Would a depressants help -I’ve never taken them in my life before.
Anyone feeling weepy??

Rosina Sun 13-Jun-21 16:18:04

It seems to be happening to a lot of people now, mrsmopp. We have a successful high flying friend who can deal with all sorts of crises, but who started crying when she read that we will give vaccines to other countries. I almost burst into tears on being told that I would wait only two weeks for a scan - I was so grateful, as it isn't life threatening, and a piece of classical music reduced me to gulps and tears just yesterday. We are all perhaps glad to be here - do you think that might be part of it? Your doctor is there to help you - and they are mostly still doing phone consultations, so I'm sure you won't cause any undue stress for your GP by booking a call. There are herbal remedies when you feel down - St. John's Wort works for many. Also if you are able to get out of the house every day, I do find that helps enormously, as some gentle exercise, fresh air and perhaps the odd exchange with someone in a shop seems to lift the spirits. Good luck!

AGAA4 Sun 13-Jun-21 16:18:05

Sorry you are feeling so down mrsmopp. Those things you mentioned Covid and not seeing people have got a lot of us down. You are not alone in feeling weepy at times.

If you have been feeling this way for more than a few weeks I would ask to speak to the doctor. They want to see people who need help as it's always better to treat things early.

I hope you feel better very soon flowers

kittylester Sun 13-Jun-21 16:20:18

I don't feel weepy all the time but I can be moved to tears at the drop of a hat over nothing. I few friends feel that way too.

Hope you feel more upbeat soon.

Ngaio1 Sun 13-Jun-21 16:27:52

Hello MrsMopp, sorry you are tearful. i kept on an even keel through the dark days of last year but am having darker thoughts now. I think it is realisation of just how scary things were for quite some time. You and I are of a similar age and it only came home to me last week - when I attempted to do my usual trick of mounting a chair in o rder to take down bedroom curtains and fell off - that I can no longer do many things I had always taken for granted. If your GP is helpful it may be an idea to have a chat. I wish you well.

BlueSky Sun 13-Jun-21 16:29:33

mrsmopp same here I now start crying at the drop of a hat. Never done it before. No specific reason either. So just knowing it’s not just us helps. That’s why I find these forums helpful, we are not so odd after all x

BBbevan Sun 13-Jun-21 16:34:29

Dear mrsmopp same age as you and exactly the same with crying. Anything sets me off and I feel so silly. DH tries to make light of it saying I have ‘issues’. I would just like to know why I am like this. There seems to be no obvious reason. Let’s hope we all feel better soon.

mrsmopp Sun 13-Jun-21 16:46:47

And my memory is shot as well. I forget what I did last week but memories of my childhood and my younger years are crystal clear. I can remember the names of all my colleagues in the 1960s and I made a list of them.
But I forget the names of the new people who have moved in next door. (I can’t ask them AGAIN!!)

theworriedwell Sun 13-Jun-21 16:55:30

I stopped and rescued a baby bird that was in the middle of the road this morning. As I drove off in my mirror I saw a crow sweep down, I think he took the chick and I sobbed like a baby.

annodomini Sun 13-Jun-21 17:09:29

I have no tears because Sjogren's Syndrome causes dry eyes. It's impossible to cry without tears which makes the feeling of desperation more intense. It came to the point last autumn when restrictions were not so stringent, that my sons 'rescued' me from my solitary existence and took me to live with them (alternately) for a while.

MayBee70 Sun 13-Jun-21 17:52:27

Are you suffering from other things eg not being able to sleep? I did take anti depressants for a while when I was going through a painful divorce. I only took them for a short time and they lifted me up to a level where I could then help myself: they were not addictive in any way but they did make me drowsy at first. That stopped after a while though. Don’t be afraid to speak to your doctor and take them if necessary. Mental health is as important as physical health.

Redhead56 Sun 13-Jun-21 17:54:06

I am a get up and go assertive person by nature. I am usually direct but not unkind I mean well. I am not a weepy person usually but I admit I have been during lockdown. Simply put I have never liked being told what to do. Lockdown has been difficult for me as I am sure for many but I have kept to the rules.

I have been busy gardening cooking baking etc messing with a hobby etc. It’s occupied my mind but then I have sat and sobbed more missing loved ones and frustration of the situation. I think age also plays it’s part I am not the very fit feisty person I was so my confidence has dwindled somewhat.

I can only offer you the advice I have given myself. Keep yourself busy now you can surround yourself with those you love. Spoil yourself buy treats when the doldrums sets in go with the flow take care ?

PinkCakes Sun 13-Jun-21 18:50:21

mrsmopp Don't feel that doctors are too busy to see you (most of them haven't done face-to-face appointments for ages but they should do in a case like yours).

Make an appointment, ask to be seen, so that you can chat about your feelings. You are not alone, and antidepressants work very well. I've been on them for quite some time - they aren't addictive, but I continue to take them as I wouldn't ever want to feel as low as I once did.

Go, get some help, and you WILL start to feel better

wildswan16 Sun 13-Jun-21 18:59:10

Of course you must visit your GP if you feel you need a bit of help with how you are feeling.

But also, have a think about your lifestyle. What are you missing? How would you like to spend your time? What one thing could you do each day to give you some enjoyment? etc etc.

I do hope you feel a bit less tearful soon.

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 14-Jun-21 15:44:31

I think it’s common at the moment, but definitely talk to your GP. It may be some CBT would help before starting any medication.
I do hope you feel better soon. Try and get out in the sun as much as you feel able. This is a mood lifter.?

Doodle Mon 14-Jun-21 16:03:25

mrsmopp like others I suggest a GP visit. Antidepressants are not the only thing on offer perhaps some online MH classes. So many of us suffer similar symptoms. It’s been a really strange time.