Gransnet forums

Health

Carers/Attendance Allowance

(34 Posts)
Auntieflo Mon 14-Jun-21 17:15:20

I have been advised that I could potentially claim Carers/ Attendance Allowance.
Is there anybody with knowledge of filling in these forms, who would be willing to point me in the right direction please?

On the Gov. Web site, it states that the form will be date stamped from the time of application, but on phoning the 0800 line, there is a recorded message that says the office is closed and to download the form, which I have done. 29 pages!
There is a month in which to complete this.
Will it then be timed from the date of receipt by them?

Apologies if this is a bit garbled, but it is the first time I have dealt with anything like this and feel a bit overwhelmed at the moment.
Thanks in advance.

kittylester Tue 15-Jun-21 08:17:35

And it has to be sent back within 6 weeks, I think, of the date of issue of the form. The trick is not to make light of anything but to talk about the worst days.

Franbern Tue 15-Jun-21 08:26:54

I completed the AA form totally by myself two and a half years ago. Was told by one of my AC to remember to reply to questions as it applies on my WORST days, not as on other times when things are a little better.
Much to my astonishment I received the Higher Level AA - and it has been so much help. With this, I have been able to purchase so much assistance. From my lovely mobility scooter, to taxis when required. I think I will have to re-apply in a few months time. I did not keep any copy of what I wrote last time, but will just complete any new form honestly and tell it how it is on my bad days and nights.

I have been told that physical problems (such as I have), are so much easier when these forms are being assessed, rather than mental ones.

Attendance Allowance has made a big difference to my life, the extra money did pay for my gardner (when I was in my house),and my lovely electric bed , my trolley which I use around the flat, amongst other things. I used some of it (back in the past) - to pay for first class train journeys which gave me much more comfort on long journeys, etc.

Can only say that AA has enabled me to continue leading a totally independent life. Wonderful.

kittylester Tue 15-Jun-21 09:54:57

I don't think you have to reapply- just inform of any changes.

travelsafar Tue 15-Jun-21 10:36:27

Franbern i thought you had to use it to pay for personal care and the disability allowance was for purchasing goods and paying fo transport etc. Maybe i am wrong as benefits have changed from when i use to help people apply for them.

kittylester Tue 15-Jun-21 10:44:35

You can use AA for anything you like to make your life better.

Auntieflo Tue 15-Jun-21 11:09:08

Good morning all you lovely, helpful GN friends, for your speedy replies and offers of help.
I must admit that when I downloaded all 29 pages, it was daunting.
As I have a copy of the DS1500 form, I assume, please tell me if I am wrong, that this means I do not have to fill in a big tranche of questions. I will try and read through again, and make sense of it.

jaylucy Tue 15-Jun-21 11:13:10

Age UK are really helpful in completing forms and very often have volunteers that will help.
If your local area has an "is Kind" group, might be worth asking if anyone there can help too - although it means having to sit out in your garden to for someone to come and do it.

Teacheranne Tue 15-Jun-21 11:32:01

I completed the AA application without help on behalf of my mother who has Alzheimer’s and did not send in any supporting evidence although the officials did contact her GP to confirm the diagnosis. I did research online for how to word the descriptions of her needs which was very helpful. It is important to think about the worst days when thinking about needs and add a lot of detail about the small things you do to help which have become second nature to you like supervising getting dressed or linking arms when walking.

I found the questions incredibly repetitive and it took several goes to complete the form, I kept going back to it ( I was doing it on my laptop so it was east to edit the responses) and adding more detail. My mum was granted the higher amount as there were concerns about supervision overnight without any problems or queries.

Mum now lives in a care home as it became unsafe for her to continue living alone and because she is self funding, she is still entitled to the higher AA allowance.