Gransnet forums

Health

Continuing Health Care funding

(12 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 15-Jun-21 13:48:24

This morning I had the confirmation letter that my appeal against refusal of funding for my OH during the last 8 months of his life has been upheld.

They will reimburse me the money they should have paid for his nursing care.

Getting to this stage has required a huge amount of effort and stress - and determination, and knowledge of the system.

Sadly not everyone is blessed with these things and so many people struggle to pay for nursing care, or are forced to see their loved ones in inadequate accommodation.

Another very difficult chapter behind me.

Doodledog Tue 15-Jun-21 14:06:09

I am very pleased to hear this, Luckygirl, but sorry that you had to go through the stress of an appeal to get to this point.

Judy54 Tue 15-Jun-21 14:33:24

Well done Luckygirl it is a complete mine field which can leave you completely drained at a time when you need all the support and help you can get. In my experience you are pushed from pillar to post between the NHS and Social services with no one wanting to take responsibility. The Senior Person I dealt with in the NHS tried to baffle me with science and was off hand and belligerent. I too won an appeal some 20 years ago and it just goes to show that nothing much has changed. As you say it is behind you now and well done for pursuing your rights flowers

OnwardandUpward Tue 15-Jun-21 15:03:39

Well done Luckygirl. I'm sorry you had to battle so hard for it, but pleased for you that you have it.

NHS was meant to be "cradle to grave". We shouldn't have to fight for what is ours, but well done! flowers

JaneJudge Tue 15-Jun-21 16:03:17

well done x

Aveline Tue 15-Jun-21 16:14:27

Oh very well done! You really deserve this. I remember how hard it all was for you and how unfair it all seemed.

V3ra Tue 15-Jun-21 16:19:00

Well done for having the determination to see it through on behalf of your husband.

dragonfly46 Tue 15-Jun-21 16:24:28

So pleased for you Luckygirl after all you have been through you deserve this.

Doodle Tue 15-Jun-21 16:30:18

Pleased for you Luckygirl . Shame you had to go through so much to sort it out.

Jaxjacky Tue 15-Jun-21 16:45:51

Very good news Luckygirl and well done you. It is an appalling system, your perseverance has paid off, it shouldn’t have to be such a complicated, stressful struggle. ?

Luckygirl Tue 15-Jun-21 17:06:58

It was an absolute minefield. But, to be fair, the appeal hearing was very fair and well-conducted; and they reached the right decision. How sad that I had to fight so hard for this; and how sad that so many people have no idea about the system or the right of appeal.

SueDonim Tue 15-Jun-21 19:52:28

Well done for your perseverance, Luckygirl. flowers I have a friend going through the process right now for her Dh. They’ve never had anything from the state bar some of their education and the usual NHS etc but now they’re being punished for that thrift.