Gransnet forums


Rubber rings.

(14 Posts)
ExD Thu 17-Jun-21 10:22:00

My wheelchair bound friend gets a sore bottom from sitting so long, she's slightly incontinent in the urine department too which doesn't help.
She had a rubber ring for years but it has sadly perished, and we cannot find a replacement.
The NHS will supply a cushion with a semi circular hole at the back, but this isn't what she needs. Her health visitor says they don't make rings any more because people slipped off them.
Does anyone know of a firm where we can buy one?

Riverwalk Thu 17-Jun-21 10:33:27

I'm sorry for your friend - sitting on a gradually perishing rubber ring for years can't have done her much good.

She needs a proper pressure-relieving cushion for a wheelchair and should speak to the Occupational Therapist/Community Nurse.

Also, no matter what she's sitting on she shouldn't sit for long periods of time without changing from chair/to wheelchair/ to bed.

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jun-21 10:40:47

Google Valley Cushion.
Used after childbirth - may be appropriate?

B9exchange Thu 17-Jun-21 10:43:10

Not hard to find, eg

shysal Thu 17-Jun-21 10:46:46

Dunlopillo make foam rings, for which covers are available. Also inflatable ones with pump on Ebay.
Dunlopillo ring

Inflatable ring

JaneJudge Thu 17-Jun-21 10:49:15

If you google lots of different types come up like this one

I agree with riverwalk though. There are lots of different types of cushion or mats now that will relieve pressure and not cause soreness. Some even have personal technology wrt urination too. I would suggest the continence nursing team might be able to advise too, they can be accessed through the GP service.

Susan56 Thu 17-Jun-21 11:21:22

I have just bought my mum a replacement rubber ring from Amazon.

greenlady102 Thu 17-Jun-21 11:26:42

The HV should either be doing a proper pressure damage screening assessment or referring on to someone who can. I am shocked, but not surprised by the poor advice given by her HV...Is she getting any help in managing her continence? Is she under any specialist team? Who got her the wheelchair?

greenlady102 Thu 17-Jun-21 11:38:17

I have found the link to the Waterlow Risk assessment scorecard which may be helful when talking to whoever your friend contacts. the only term she might find confusing is "terminal cachexia" which relates to end of life care and is therefore not relevant to her

timetogo2016 Thu 17-Jun-21 12:28:58

Could a neck cusion help i wonder ?.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 17-Jun-21 13:28:20

My mother sits in a wheelchair for several hours daily and alternates with a dual motor armchair. She was assessed and a gel cushion was supplied. She was advised that rings are no longer recommended. She also has a pressure relieving hospital bed.

ExD Fri 18-Jun-21 15:10:24

I don't know the answers to the questions on care or who supplied the chair. I suspect she will have accepted minimal professional help as she's independent to the n'th degree.
But thanks to the addresses of places that supply them.
I doubt if I'll be able to influence her in any way when it comes to accepting advice. I can but try!

25Avalon Fri 18-Jun-21 15:15:25

Have you tried The Disabled Living Foundation? They advise on lots of items and can be accessed online so friend can maintain independence.

Puzzled Fri 18-Jun-21 17:03:47

If all else fails, buy an inner tube for a wheelbarrow wheel ( 8 x 4 ) and inflate to about 5 pounds / square inch. Doesn't need a lot of pressure in it.
Put it in the chair with the valve facing down!

It may not look elegant, but will probably do the job, and last better than a more expensive "medical" product.
If it looks too utilitarian, make / knit a cover for it.