Gransnet forums

Health

Has anyone found they could not eat because dentures made everything taste like cardboard.

(19 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Fri 08-Oct-21 12:32:09

Actually, it did use to have some connection to dentures, as I remember my parents and others in their generation complaining that food didn't taste right after they got dentures.

So do get your friend to ring and make a new appointment with her dentist and with the technician who made her dentures.

Lots of infections from colds onward can affect our sense of taste too, so she might want to consult her GP as well.

Jane43 Fri 08-Oct-21 12:27:55

I have a partial denture at the top and when I changed to a chrome denture because it was more robust the dentist said one of the advantages was that I would be able to taste food better because it doesn’t cover the whole of the roof of my mouth. I don’t know what the reasoning is behind this but he definitely said it so there may be something in what your SIL is saying.

Russell09 Fri 08-Oct-21 00:40:41

In the short-term, new denture wearers will likely experience some drop in their level of taste sensation. However, in time, it should return back to normal. And If you are wearing full/partial dentures and are experiencing some changes in your taste buds, then you should contact to your family dental clinic.

Granmarderby10 Mon 26-Jul-21 12:40:21

Yep sorry people but the plastic palate that enables a top set of dentures to slot in, is just that; at least wise on the NHS, a piece of curved plastic that completely covers your own palate and dependent on the skill of the dentist who takes the mould as well as the lab technician who makes it. They can be hell, it all depends. Choice between pain and no teeth though- no teeth wins hands down every time. grin

mrswoo Mon 26-Jul-21 12:26:17

DH had a small upper plate and kept complaining that he couldn't taste food properly when wearing it. I was a bit cynical about this as I kept telling him that you don't taste food through your teeth
However, he decided to not wear the plate when eating at home. Unfortunately, he promptly mislaid the wretched thing! Once he stopped wearing the dentures he could taste food normally again.
So maybe, as Pearly123 says, upper dentures can affect your sense of taste

Pearly123 Mon 26-Jul-21 10:24:01

Hey, but in some cases dentures can affect your taste. If your upper denture covers your upper hard palate which contains taste buds, or if your denture doesn't fit properly it also can affect the taste. It is better to consult and check with your dentist immediately.

JosephAMendenhall Fri 23-Jul-21 09:34:11

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

JosephAMendenhall Wed 21-Jul-21 04:38:17

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ExDancer Mon 19-Jul-21 16:28:49

Looking back, it was quite funny Lovetopaint. I was a teacher, and in those days we had to take turns to supervise lunchtimes and eat with the pupils. Imagine my embarrassment when I had to leave the table and head for the cloakroom with blood seeping from my mouth and the darn denture crossways across the inside of my mouth.
It took two of us quite a while to unhook the thing but it wasn't as painful as it sounds.
I can laugh about it now, but I was very cross with the dentist, especially as he'd taken all that money from me for three sets of dentures (Oh yes, the NHS make you pay for the ones you cannot manage).
Now I "gum" my food to death.

This has nothing to do with taste though, has she been given any reason for her problem? You'd think her dentist should investigate for her. (Oh no, sorry, covid's the perfect excuse for not being helpful.)

Lovetopaint037 Mon 19-Jul-21 09:46:54

ExDancer I am sorry you have had so much trouble with your dentures. That is a good point working out if the taste changes when dentures are removed. That clamp piercing your tongue sounds awful. You poor thing. I had some dentures a few years back that traumatised my mouth and it was some time before I went to another dentist and got a much improved replacement.

ExDancer Sat 17-Jul-21 10:30:54

I have never been able to cope with my (partial bottom) dentures. Yes, I'm convinced the food tasted bland.
I tried three different sets, all on the NHS and all costing the maximum price. My last set pierced my tongue with the sharp metal clamps to hold them on to my existing teeth, and that's what finished me, not the lack of taste.
I have no idea where your taste buds are, but if food tastes OK without her dentures, and tasteless with them it doesn't sound like covid.

Redhead56 Sat 17-Jul-21 10:17:00

Our good friend has recently got over Covid he said everything tasted of cardboard maybe have a test.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 17-Jul-21 09:57:02

Welbeck she lives two hundred miles away. Because of Covid our annual meet-up was cancelled. She had a fall while on holiday just before we saw her at the end of 2019 and that badly damaged her teeth. She was then due to start sorting them out at her dentist. Then later she told me she was going to need a plate or implants. Last week she told me about her trouble with eating and how she wasn’t eating much. She said she was pleased about the weight loss but it wasn’t a good way to lose it. I would think she certainly needs a conversation with her dentist and her doctor. I am puzzled and concerned.

welbeck Fri 16-Jul-21 22:49:21

over what period did she lose that weight.
it does sound concerning.
can you urge her to go to dentist and doctor.

MissAdventure Fri 16-Jul-21 22:47:12

I think a top plate can reduce the nice feeling of food in your mouth, but loss of taste....?
Has she had a covid test?

Lovetopaint037 Fri 16-Jul-21 22:33:13

Thank you that is roughly what I thought. Couldn’t figure how actual lack of teeth or dentures had anything to do with taste. She says it’s like eating cardboard. Surely she would still be hungry even if dentures are odd in her mouth. A stone and a half is a big weight loss.

tanith Fri 16-Jul-21 21:52:03

Taste buds are in your tongue so whatever the problem it’s nothing to do with her dentures. Maybe she should speak to her dentist.

aggie Fri 16-Jul-21 21:51:37

She needs to go back to the dentist ! I can taste fine with my dentures
Would she have had COVID-19? It disturbs your taste buds

Lovetopaint037 Fri 16-Jul-21 21:11:36

This is not me. I have a half plate and haven’t experienced anything like this. My SIL has. She has lost a stone and a half since having dentures and she says her food tastes like cardboard. This surprised me as I didn’t realise that taste was determined by teeth. I have only heard of people unable to eat certain foods like nuts etc. Has anyone had this happen to them and if so is there any help? I’m puzzled so would be interested in any input.