Gransnet forums

Health

Ladies itching down below help

(50 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Fri 30-Jul-21 08:45:24

I’ve had a terrible time with down below problems when at first I thought I had cut myself I had a small bleed and thereafter I’ve been prescribed an antifungal cream which didn’t work I’m now apply thrush cream on the itchy parts which appear to be working. When do you think the time is right to use a pessary. Please don’t advise me to let the doctor have a look as I’m struggling to recover from stroke my down below bits will be difficult to reach blush

Soroptimum Thu 16-Sep-21 19:53:54

Elizabeth1

JaneJudge after seeing myGp and being prescribed a hormone replacement treatment my delicate parts are slowly recovering. It seems ladies of a certain age can lose eostogen later on in life therefore the short course of HR only a fortnight. Will relieve this condition. Hurrah

Thank you everyone I got lots of encouragement from you all it was lovely to be given your support.

I was going to suggest this, so glad you’ve been diagnosed. Thought I had thrush (self diagnosis) but wouldn’t be treated.

I have a cream - Ovestin- which I have to insert vaginally for post menopause atrophy. Been on this since January, think I’ll have to use it for life.

Theone Thu 16-Sep-21 13:13:03

I'm sorry, I just came across this thread after posting my own entitled Lichen sclerosus but there is a lot of useful stuff to read in this one so thanks to all who've contributed!

Grandyma Wed 15-Sep-21 13:05:01

I had a very similar problem and was diagnosed with vaginal atrophy. I was prescribed Vagifem pessaries which replace the oestrogen which is lost post menopause. Definitely get this checked by your GP.

jaylucy Fri 10-Sep-21 11:43:22

Yes some scented panty liners can cause that problem, as can some soaps or shower gels.
You can get gels to use in the shower for that area that may make a difference, but whatever you use, just make sure you rinse well!
Certainly speak to your doctor or make an appointment with a practice nurse if your GP is male and you'd feel embarrassed. Mind you, I found that after spending time in hospital and being nursed by both female and male nursing staff, you can handle personal problems like this so much easier!

midgey Fri 10-Sep-21 11:23:28

Another thought to add to Allsorts advice of no soap….don’t wash your hair in the shower!

Allsorts Fri 10-Sep-21 07:18:20

Well done Elizabeth. Try drinking as much water as you can, forget tea and coffee, don’t use soap down there either, just water, pat your self dry. Cut out yeast foods and sugar for a while. It works.

AustenFan Fri 03-Sep-21 21:20:48

Why don’t doctors carry out female genitals examinations these days? Are they scared of accusations of misbehaviour? I’ve had terrible pain when peeing plus internal pain resulting in thrush like discomfort when sitting/walking etc. As a result of the dreadful askMyGp I’ve had weeks of antibiotics and now a letter to my local gynae clinic. But never an attempt to actually examine me!

Elizabeth1 Fri 27-Aug-21 08:33:07

Shelflife I’m a happy lady once more now that that terrible itch has gone after inserting a hormone pessary every night for 2 weeks prescribed by my doctor I’ve to finish the course by inserting the remaining pessaries twice a week. It was well worth the visit to see my doctor I even surprised myself by not feeling as embarrassed as I thought I would . smile thank you everyone for your kindness and encouragement in getting me to see the doctor after an incorrect self diagnosishmm

Jaxjacky Sun 15-Aug-21 21:57:57

mrsmopp read above, OP has seen GP, been diagnosed and treated.

mrsmopp Sun 15-Aug-21 21:19:46

Seriously you need a proper diagnosis so this can be treated correctly. I was assuming I had thrush and tried various things from the chemist, to no avail.
A proper doctor diagnosed Lichen Sclerosis so no wonder thrush treatments had no effect.
I symparhasise - but get diagnosed and get the correct treatment. Good luck.

Shelflife Sat 14-Aug-21 12:45:05

Well done Elizabeth 1 . A very distressing condition and not uncommon . I use Vagifem and couldn't do without it. Was also diognosed with Lichen Sclerosis, not nice but treatable. Three simple things that have helped enormously-

1 .Do not wash vaginal area with any type of soap, simply not using scented soap is not enough- all soap / body wash is a strict NO NO NO!!!!!!!!

2. Wash all underwear and pyjama bottoms ( I include bras, as breasts have also itched from time to time) on a full length wash without washing powder/ liquid . Just use water. It will take quite a few washes to fully eradicate all soap residue - but persevere or bin your knickers and buy new but wash them in water only!! before wear.

3. I have ditched dairy milk for soya. Alpro is good and they do one called my cuppa' which is good in hot drinks. Have also just tried a lacto free milk , early days for that but so far so good!

Not sure if the dairy milk is a culprit , but I am not prepared to re - introduce it! Although I do have cake occasionally that will have dairy milk in - that seems ok. but no longer use it it tea or coffee or as a drink .
For me I think it is the lactose that I am intolerant to.
I wish you well , I just wanted to let you know what is working for me.
I wish you well and good luck,!

JaneJudge Sat 14-Aug-21 12:01:10

Elizabeth1

JaneJudge after seeing myGp and being prescribed a hormone replacement treatment my delicate parts are slowly recovering. It seems ladies of a certain age can lose eostogen later on in life therefore the short course of HR only a fortnight. Will relieve this condition. Hurrah

Thank you everyone I got lots of encouragement from you all it was lovely to be given your support.

I'm glad it has been sorted x

Jaxjacky Sat 14-Aug-21 09:00:31

Good you’ve been sorted.

Elizabeth1 Sat 14-Aug-21 08:07:59

Oops see above it won’t let me post

Elizabeth1 Sat 14-Aug-21 08:06:24

Shelbel Sun 08-Aug-21 10:42:30

Hi all, good advice here, after treating thrush with pessary etc it really helps to take a months course of probiotics. Get the good bacteria to attack the bad ones. Worked for me to keep it away. If you get repeated attacks then it's best to see a doctor as it can be linked to diabetes/sugar levels. Best wishes, it's a very annoying thing I agree.

cutteriss Sun 08-Aug-21 08:28:17

Itchy bum anyone else had this

JaneJudge Fri 06-Aug-21 17:55:54

well done, it will be fine x

Elizabeth1 Fri 06-Aug-21 08:44:08

That’s me finally booked an appointment to see the female gp who said she needs to see me in the surgery where all the lights are.The healthcare assistant who I’ve known for many a year and I had such fun talking on the phone. I told the healthcare assistant she’s not to lookwhen assisting me on to the table . She said she won’t. wink I’ll be saying lights action, camera smile

Elizabeth1 Sun 01-Aug-21 07:37:53

Appears

Elizabeth1 Sun 01-Aug-21 07:37:38

I did think about lathering yogurt on to my ? but I’m pleased to announce all appeared to be well again. Thank you everyone for your empathising advice.

LucyLocket55 Sat 31-Jul-21 21:03:24

Lancane cream helps alleviate the itch scratch cycle but doesn’t treat anything just soothes.

JulieNoted Sat 31-Jul-21 18:15:01

As someone else said upthread, pharmacies are not supposed to sell thrush treatments to over 60s because it is likely to be something else that is causing the problem.

I put up with vaginal itching for nearly 2 years before I saw my GP, who diagnosed lichen sclerosus. Not wishing to scare you, but I was told that this condition, if left untreated, can become cancerous. Treatment is simple: daily application of a steroid cream.

I really would advise you get this checked out - I wish I hadn't left it so long myself, but all was well!

chickkygran Sat 31-Jul-21 18:07:40

Good to hear you have an appointment with your GP. Please do get the itching checked out. I suffered with severe itching and was treated for thrust which didn’t help. I read a similar post on Gransnet where it was suggested it might be Lichen Sclerosis. I read up on it and I had the classic symptoms. I’m not saying it is this but you need a diagnosis so you can be treated correctly for whatever condition it is.

Oldbat1 Sat 31-Jul-21 17:24:27

I suffered with thrush many years ago which happened after being on antibiotics - well known as a cause. How miserable a time it was. I was prescribed lots of different medications but natural yoghurt slathered on was a life saver. Eventually thrush disappeared. Hope you get some relief soon.