Gransnet forums

Health

Asthma

(26 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 15-Aug-21 12:56:53

Hello,

One of my students is looking into the effects of hand sanitiser on asthmatics.

Would as many of you as possible be able to complete this for her please?

It isn't for any kind of publication. Just school work.

forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=LA0kzKDLbk6HQTg1qCu7s9peEgq4IONOtRWMO8PU9vJUOE9LOEhMU0NMRjgxWTdYVksxMU9VNFZEQy4u

(you might need to copy and paste the link into a browser)

B9exchange Mon 16-Aug-21 18:16:06

Interesting, I don't get asthma from the fumes, but I am allergic to the sanitiser, my hands turn bright red and itch furiously. When shops demand I use their sanitiser I explain as nicely as I can that I am allergic to it, and offer to wash my hands if they provide the facilities, or use some sensitive wipes. Most are understanding, but I have had a couple bar me from touching anything in the shop, so no point in going in!

GagaJo Mon 16-Aug-21 18:41:00

Were you able to complete the quiz B9exchange? She needs about 20 more people to do it.

Thank you

Doodle Mon 16-Aug-21 18:47:05

Just done it for her. No impact for me.

GagaJo Mon 16-Aug-21 18:48:01

Thank you Doodle!

She's working so hard and will appreciate every completed form.

Doodle Mon 16-Aug-21 19:07:06

No problem. Quick and easy.

Marydoll Mon 16-Aug-21 19:09:45

Done it. A chronic asthmatic with other lung condition and no impact.

crazyH Mon 16-Aug-21 19:16:10

Done

Doodledog Mon 16-Aug-21 19:19:36

Done. I have asthma, but have never reacted to sanitiser fumes.

GagaJo Mon 16-Aug-21 19:20:58

Thank you all! So pleased that everyone's helped out. She has to get a certain number completed to be able to use it in her essay, so it's really great you were able to do it.

Dinahmo Mon 16-Aug-21 19:25:02

I've completed the form and am a severe asthmatic. However I don't suffer from the hand sanitiser. Maybe she could do one on the affect of household chemicals and poor air conditioning both of which can bring on very quickly a severe attack.

Doodle Mon 16-Aug-21 19:49:23

The sanitisers don’t seem too have a strong smell or chemical smell as far as I can tell. Some have been perfumed but I have more reaction to hand cream or washing up liquid and have had no reaction to sanitisers. Interesting study. I wish her well.

AGAA4 Mon 16-Aug-21 19:51:33

I have had asthma for over 60 years. Haven't been affected by hand sanitiser. Have filled in the form.

grannyqueenie Mon 16-Aug-21 20:00:25

Just completed it. It’s had no impact on me either, sadly not the same with aerosols and various pollens etc!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Aug-21 20:09:01

Completed Gagajo

mokryna Tue 17-Aug-21 00:46:10

Completed but it was a good suggestion made on household cleaning products adding candles and air fresheners.

V3ra Tue 17-Aug-21 01:55:14

Done GagaJo.
I described myself as "intermittent" in that I rarely need my inhaler but have been told to make sure I always have one.
Fumes from different hand sanitisers haven't affected me at all, thank goodness!

I'm most affected by altitude, and weather, notably summer thunderstorms. We had one a few weeks ago.
I ended up in hospital on a nebuliser one year and the medical staff said they'd had no end of people similarly affected.

Good luck to your student ?

GagaJo Tue 17-Aug-21 08:21:30

Thank you for completing it ladies!

Elusivebutterfly Tue 17-Aug-21 09:16:00

I completed it. I was badly affected by the sanitiser in the opticians. I do not use it anywhere now in case I have a repeat. They all make me feel at least slightly uncomfortable.

GagaJo Tue 17-Aug-21 09:20:53

I'm really grateful to all of you. She's a lovely, hard working student. I know a lot of them having been working at all in the holiday but she has plodded on. I really hope it results in a high grade for her, because she deserves it.

I had the worst attacks of asthma I've ever had when I lived in Spain. Had to go to the hospital several times and be put on a nebuliser. Don't know why. The conditions WERE very humid but...

Shropshirelass Tue 17-Aug-21 09:23:51

My chest has been tighter but not sure if that is directly linked to hand sanitiser, but it does make my hands sore, especially my cuticles, the skin starts to peel away.

GagaJo Fri 20-Aug-21 21:53:59

Just as a post script to this, she has passed the number she needed to get to include her quiz in her writing! Any further submissions are very welcome tho.

Thank you to all who helped.

Callistemon Fri 20-Aug-21 22:16:58

B9exchange

Interesting, I don't get asthma from the fumes, but I am allergic to the sanitiser, my hands turn bright red and itch furiously. When shops demand I use their sanitiser I explain as nicely as I can that I am allergic to it, and offer to wash my hands if they provide the facilities, or use some sensitive wipes. Most are understanding, but I have had a couple bar me from touching anything in the shop, so no point in going in!

B9Exchange I have what a nurse called contact dermatitis from using hand sanitizer.
I never had a problem with my own, it was the one at M&S which started it off and it will not clear up.

I'm not asthmatic but the dermatitis issue might be interesting too.

Callistemon Fri 20-Aug-21 22:17:58

Submitted but I might not have been much help!

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 21-Aug-21 08:31:50

I did the form , but sanitizer has no impact on my Asthma, it just comes out of the blue and I haven’t noticed a link between my Asthma and any household products. So I probably wasn’t very helpful.