Gransnet forums

Health

Flu Jab or Covid booster ..Which First

(123 Posts)
Bea65 Tue 14-Sep-21 11:38:24

My daughter has just reminded me about getting covid booster but my GP surgery has also reminded me to get the flu jab..what do you all think should be first...am hesitating about the covid booster?

greenlady102 Wed 15-Sep-21 13:48:18

Nannan2

I missed BBC thing (its been so long, i forgot!) I must download & watch it today...Shame how they wasted so much money on that new tarted up room to appear on tv, then quickly dropped the daily broadcasts?... what a waste of taxpayers cash, that could have been better used elsewhere.?

its used for all the number 10 (and other?) press briefings, not just the televised ones. I am betting that it also has improved security and surveillance functions as well as what you see

greenlady102 Wed 15-Sep-21 13:50:45

Edith81

Flu jab??? a funny enough, I thought flu had been totally eradicated this year because I’ve not heard of one death because of it. Very strange!!!!!

its one of the side effects of all the covid precautions. Limited contacts, increased hygiene, increased fresh air and so on

JenniferEccles Wed 15-Sep-21 14:10:45

We have been assured that it’s perfectly ok to have the flu and covid jabs together.
After all young babies have several together, so I’m sure adults can cope!

I am not optimistic that the flu vaccine will be particularly effective this year though as there haven’t been enough cases around the world to enable them to take an educated guess as to which virus will be circulating this year.

I will probably wait for another month or two before I try to track down the flu vaccine, and, like everyone else, I will wait until I’m called to have the covid booster, no sooner than 6 months after my second one, which in my case was the end of April.

I am certain GP surgeries are hoping against hope that they are not inundated with people phoning to ask about the jabs.

LeeN137 Wed 15-Sep-21 14:55:23

Personally, I'll just take them as they come.

maddyone Wed 15-Sep-21 15:12:10

We’re Covid vaccine twins Jennifer as I had my second Covid19 vaccine at the end of April as well, it was the 29th to be exact. I expect to be called for a booster around the end of November, beginning of December, because by then it will be six months from my last vaccine. I shall book my flu vaccine at my GP Practice when I get back from my Greek Islands holiday at the beginning of October.

Rosycheeks Wed 15-Sep-21 15:23:22

Ive never booked a flu jab with my Doctors they send us letters telling us when and what time to go. I got an e mail about a month ago asking if I would like both jabs as the same time. I said yes.

JenniferEccles Wed 15-Sep-21 15:49:07

How wonderful to have a holiday in the Greek Islands maddyone
October will be a lovely month too as it won’t be too hot.

I am envious!

Nannashirlz Wed 15-Sep-21 15:57:27

Well according to prof van tam we will be getting them one in each arm at same time if possible. I’m booked to get my flu jab on Saturday so I’m wondering if I will get booster or have to go back for it lol

Magrithea Wed 15-Sep-21 16:13:21

You'll get called by your surgery for the flu jab (mine's scheduled for next weekend) and by age group for the Covid booster. I'm having it, having had the first two

Mistyfluff8 Wed 15-Sep-21 16:15:31

Having flu jab next week when talked to pharmacist at Boots then they did not know if we were getting Covid jabs as waiting for a decision so some time this month will get boosterRates are going sky high

Susieq62 Wed 15-Sep-21 16:18:27

Had my flu jab last Saturday ! No problems! Will definitely have the booster when offered ! Anything to stay safe and get my life back to some normality ASAP ?

Jaxjacky Wed 15-Sep-21 16:18:38

My flu vaccination is October 7th, second Covid jab was in May, so November I expect.

Alegrias1 Wed 15-Sep-21 16:21:52

Rates are not going sky high.

Theoddbird Wed 15-Sep-21 16:23:55

My surgery sent me a text asking if I was happy to have both at same time...different arms.

Olive53 Wed 15-Sep-21 16:37:54

Not having the booster. Had two doses of the vaccine as we were told take the jab and get back to normal
Still restrictions, can’t go abroad without jumping through hoops, now they’re threatening yet another lockdown.
When will it all end.

poshpink Wed 15-Sep-21 16:58:29

I received a letter from Boots offering me a free NHS flu jab. You just need to go online at www.boots.com/flu21 and book which town you want, date and time. It's all very easy. Boots will let your GP know you've had your jab.

sazz1 Wed 15-Sep-21 17:08:20

I'm not going to have the booster. The AZ vaccines affected me badly. I had injection like pain in both kidneys followed by 2 days of hugely increased urination, sleeping on/off all day, high temperature, uncontrollable shaking all over all night, mini blackouts where I fell on the floor 3 times. Luckily I didn't hurt myself. So because I think it affected my kidneys and nervous system I won't be having it again.
Never had any kidney or urine problems before, or falls or blackouts, and a week after vaccination it all resolved. Had no falls since. So although I'm very pro vaccines I don't want to risk this one again.

Barnet Wed 15-Sep-21 17:15:13

DH and I can get neither a flu jab or a pneumonia vaccine due to our GP being unable to get supplies, so Lord only knows how long we'll have to wait for the booster....

GreenGran78 Wed 15-Sep-21 18:24:43

I received a text on Monday, to phone for an appointment. I did so, and am having my flu jab tomorrow at my GPs

Pammie1 Wed 15-Sep-21 18:25:35

I had my flu jab on Thursday last week and got a phone call from the surgery to go for the Covid shot on Friday.

Margiknot Wed 15-Sep-21 18:58:35

At work ( hospital) we have been advised to book our flu jabs once vaccine is available. It sounds as if the plan is to get started with flu jabs. We usually get flu jabs around early October.
My Gp are hoping to receive some flu vaccine this weekend ( they told us to save the date some while ago- then said it would not go ahead and then just got an update to say turn up as they may get the flu vaccine in time).
Bluesky - I heard on the radio- ( R4 just before 9 ) that it was advised ( to young people) to wait 28 days after a positive Covid test before having the Covid vaccine. I don’t know if the advice for older adults is also minimum of 28 days post Covid.

Retired65 Wed 15-Sep-21 20:48:11

I have booked my flu jab at Lloyds Chemist because I received an email from them. I will get my booster jab when invited,
In fact there is a message on my doctor's web site to say that they have had to cancel appointments for those patients who have booked a flu jab for September because of a shortage of flu vaccine.

kjmpde Wed 15-Sep-21 21:21:16

I have had both Covid jabs but I don't think I will have the booster. I have yet to see the evidence that the vaccine is working. Hospital admissions are 4x higher than this time last year. Deaths also increased. My belief is that masks and distancing gave better protection, now they have gone the virus is on the increase. Affecting those who have been double jabbed. I so wanted the evidence to show a fall in the Covid rates, but I see nothing

Harmonypuss Thu 16-Sep-21 01:10:48

Please feel free to correct me if you have solid evidence regarding flu vaccination but I used to work in the NHS and we always had our flu jabs mid-late November. We were told that this was the best time to give the vaccine because it is most effective for the first 4 months which covers January and February which is the most common time for people to be affected by the flu.

Also, my understanding of what's been said about the covid booster is that we'll be offered it approx 6 months after our 2nd jab and that this would (where appropriate) be given at the same time at the flu jab but one in each arm.

If this is correct, I personally should get my covid booster in about 3 weeks and I'll be leaving my flu jab until at least the middle of November.

Teacheranne Thu 16-Sep-21 01:34:39

Edith81

Flu jab??? a funny enough, I thought flu had been totally eradicated this year because I’ve not heard of one death because of it. Very strange!!!!!

They said that flu had been contained last year because of mask wearing, social distancing, hand washing, lockdowns etc. However, because we gained no immunities to flu last year and with these preventative measures now mainly lifted, the population has no immunity for flu so this years outbreak is expected to be severe. Hence the need for flu jabs for the over 50’s.