Gransnet forums

Health

Should I attend party one month before surgery

(100 Posts)
GramaJ Wed 15-Sep-21 17:27:50

I’ve got a date of for a right knee replacement and been told I will only have to isolate for 72 hours before the op. Obviously I will have to have a PCR test too.
My dilemma is, a month before this date, I’ve been invited to a birthday party to be held indoors and I’m imagining there will be quite a few people there. Am I daft to even consider going as I’ve waited 2 years for this op?
Mentally I’m sure it will do me the power of good, but not physically if I catch COVID.
What’s the general opinion please?

ElderlyPerson Wed 22-Sep-21 00:26:05

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Pride

MayBeMaw Tue 21-Sep-21 23:31:36

I had never heard of Charlie (Charley?) Pride.

ElderlyPerson Tue 21-Sep-21 23:27:17

welbeck

youtube-itis, maybe.

A lovely neologism.

ElderlyPerson Tue 21-Sep-21 23:22:27

MayBeMaw

I am puzzled - what does Nat King Cole singing “Rambling Rose” got to do with this thread?
Or did you mean to link to something else?

It is not Nat King Cole.

Lucca wrote about "ramble on" and it reminded me of this song and I thought that it might cheer everybody up rather than just keep posting advice long after the OP had made her decision.

Though the comment from Lizzie72 about that new ideas might get put forward is good.

Like the idea that Phoenixpalmsandsun put forward near the top of this page.

So ramble on if you so choose.

welbeck Tue 21-Sep-21 19:49:34

youtube-itis, maybe.

MayBeMaw Tue 21-Sep-21 19:41:03

I am puzzled - what does Nat King Cole singing “Rambling Rose” got to do with this thread?
Or did you mean to link to something else?

ElderlyPerson Mon 20-Sep-21 22:09:37

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtFG-C1UmVk

Aveline Mon 20-Sep-21 21:19:54

If you say so Lucca!

Lucca Mon 20-Sep-21 18:30:24

In other words let the thread ramble on saying the same things ….OK then.

MayBeMaw Mon 20-Sep-21 07:40:45

Aye right

Aveline Mon 20-Sep-21 07:27:13

With you on that Lizzie72.

Lizzie72 Mon 20-Sep-21 06:53:46

Even though the OP has now commented that she has decided not to go, I think other posters’ comments are useful for anyone in a similar situation. Sometimes people throw up ideas you hadn’t considered.

Lucca Mon 20-Sep-21 05:19:46

With you on that Maw.

MayBeMaw Sun 19-Sep-21 23:09:45

GramaJ

Thanks again everyone for your comments and support. I’m definitely not going and concentrating on trying to stay healthy and well in preparation for my op and the partying to follow - COVID and knee allowing.
Best wishes to you all

If you missed it on Thursday 16 September

MayBeMaw Sun 19-Sep-21 23:07:50

Reading does not equate to policing - does it?

MayBeMaw Sun 19-Sep-21 23:06:26

Aveline

Well thanks MawBeMaw for policing the thread. ?

confusedconfused
Heavy sarcasm?

Not a lot of point in adding one’s opinions when OP had announced her intention was there?

Aveline Sun 19-Sep-21 22:14:28

Well thanks MawBeMaw for policing the thread. ?

MayBeMaw Sun 19-Sep-21 20:13:45

GramaJ

Thanks again everyone for your comments and support. I’m definitely not going and concentrating on trying to stay healthy and well in preparation for my op and the partying to follow - COVID and knee allowing.
Best wishes to you all

For those who have not Read The Whole Thread.

MayBeMaw Sun 19-Sep-21 20:10:26

OP has said she is not going to the party.

Phoenixpalmsandsun Sun 19-Sep-21 18:51:50

I live in the U.S. and am also having a full right knee replacement in about 6 weeks!
Because you’ve had to wait two YEARS to get on their docket, I wouldn’t chance going to the party. But….I do have a fun idea. Stand outside their main front window, (mask on,) and have the birthday person come to the window. (You can line up the surprise with someone attending the party that when the doorbell rings, or they hear the knock at the window, have them get the birthday person!)
Have 2 big hand-decorated signs in your hands. The first one you hold up says: “HAPPY BIIRTHDAY!” And the 2nd one (if appropriate to the person whose birthday it is) says: “I LOVE YOU….GO TO THE FRONT DOOR!”

Then at the front door, have a cute basket sitting on the ground or front door mat, with either tissue paper or cellophane lining it, and wrap a couple gifts ? for the birthday person, along with a card tucked inside. But stay far away from the birthday person who answers the door. This would be so fun, and bless both of you!

Aveline Sun 19-Sep-21 08:30:43

There are parties and parties though. Will there be 100+ people in a confined space or will it be a pleasant party with less than 20 in a well aired space or even outside?
Sadly these days there is a good chance that the op will be cancelled or delayed.
There is a lot to think about.
PS the week before my hip replacement in July I was away on holiday staying in a popular hotel. Masks were worn as appropriate and social distancing as required. All went well.

Lincslass Sun 19-Sep-21 08:13:09

You won’t be getting your TKR if you catch Covid though. It’s a party, plenty of those following your surgery. You don’t have to isolate afterwards.

POW1 Sun 19-Sep-21 03:21:26

Go to the party. As others have said, take sensible precautions…I presume you have been double-vaxed? The party is well enough ahead of your hospital appointment and you will need to provide a negative COVID PCR test before you start your pre-op isolation anyway. I know how you feel - I had to wait 18 months for gall bladder surgery - and it was postponed 3 times for various reasons. Being in isolation is very tough - particularly if like you you’re already feeling unwell. We are all going to have to work out how to navigate the new COVID19 world, and need to take the precautions and risks that are appropriate to our own situation.

TanaMa Sat 18-Sep-21 22:35:48

Having had my knee operation made a more lasting improvement to my life than any party could have.
Best be safe rather than sorry - dont go, plenty of time for parties later.
Wishing you good luck with your operation.

coastalgran Sat 18-Sep-21 19:43:08

Enjoy yourself and be careful. Then go for your op feeling much better in yourself.