Gransnet forums

Health

Is medication really the only answer to long term depression?

(35 Posts)
Kandinsky Tue 21-Sep-21 07:49:14

I’ve been depressed for years. ( a few tragic life events I’ve never really gotten over )
I function normally, hold down a job, keep myself & the house clean etc, so on the surface no one would know.
But I feel so dead inside most of the time. I look forward to very little & just see things getting worse the older I get, as ageing brings even more challenges.
I’ve always avoided anti-depressants as didn’t want to become addicted or ‘numb’ to feelings. But this awful feeling just isn’t going away - so my question is, are anti depressants really the only answer?
Thank you x

PinkCakes Tue 21-Sep-21 15:41:46

I've been on antidepressants for many years. Like most people, there have been different things in my life to make me feel low - the most recent is in July, I had Covid then pneumonia, was on a ventilator for 2 weeks, then it was found I'd had a stroke, so I was in hospital for a further 4 weeks.

I've made a fantastic recovery, am almost back to normal - but I'd rather take antidepressants for the rest of my life than ever feel so utterly wretched again.

Granmarderby10 Tue 21-Sep-21 12:51:08

Kandinsky what you have described on here are very familiar ( to me ) symptoms of depression. I think you really should consider anti-depressant medication. The right one will “balance” your emotional reactions out so that you don’t burst into tears at the drop of a hat or feel inexplicable sadness. I found it shook off the heavy cloak I felt I had been wearing without realising. Do not worry about the “numbness” you may have heard about, instead be brave and tell those who you really care about that you are on a medication and it may appear as though you aren’t enthusiastic or emotional about things, but better this than the exhausting roller coaster that is depression. You will get things done (whatever they may be) eat better, care more for yourself, be less distracted and more absorbed by things like TV, books, chores, etc, learn to emotionally screen off situations, tasks and people you have found upsetting or difficult. Think more clearly, Get back your sense of humour and joy, empathise more with people. Live! Anti-depressants won’t take away what happened before in your life rather allow you to visit and discuss them from a safe distance. They won’t make you feel out of body or high or addicted or out of control. You will make sense to yourself more and interact with others more successfully and honestly. I definitely recommend. ?‍♀️

Bea65 Tue 21-Sep-21 12:04:19

If you have poor eyesight, you wear glasses or lenses; if you are feeling low and 'dead inside' you may need anti-depressants they certainly helped me in the past altho it might take 4-6 wks to feel any different..So please persevere..

growstuff Tue 21-Sep-21 11:58:01

Germanshepherdsmum

I do agree trisher (oh dear, this is getting worrying!). All the things you mention can be so helpful. I found medication got me into a place where I could do them. Depression tends to take away all motivation and medication gave me a kick-start.

I agree absolutely with this. When I needed them, ADs lifted me enough to make positive changes in my life. I no longer take them, but recognise when/if I'm going downhill and manage to talk myself round. I don't think I could have done it without medication and a sympathetic GP.

Jillyjosie Tue 21-Sep-21 11:53:10

I feel some condescending posts have been aimed at me too, not for the first time. Great, those also read medical papers. Construct an intelligent exchange of views then, I'd welcome but I'm not prepared to be rudely rejected out of hand by people who are acting out of prejudice. There is solid evidence out there.

Jillyjosie Tue 21-Sep-21 11:50:54

And I forgot the dear friend, intelligent and articulate, whose GP spent FOUR MONTHS faffing about and not listening before finally referring my friend who later died of ovarian cancer.

I suspect a lot of it is now about cost and GPs being businesses not real health care. Times have changed, no wonder they all now have to have insurance.

Blondiescot Tue 21-Sep-21 11:48:04

Jillyjosie - what makes you think some of us haven't done considerable research of our own or tried alternative therapies/practices before resorting to medication? I find your post quite condescending, to be quite frank.

Jillyjosie Tue 21-Sep-21 11:38:01

My mother died because a GP gave her an inhaler when she had pneumonia. A friend's mother died because she was treated for indigestion when she had gall bladder cancer. Misdiagnosis by GPs is legion and claims against GPs have risen by 50% of late.
www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/regulation/medical-negligence-claims-against-gps-at-all-time-high/

I totally refute and reflect back accusations of saying something dangerous. Shall I find the statistics of people committing suicide when given anti depressants or would those just fall foul of bigotry?

I've had a lot of dealings with the medical world in a professional capacity. The faith of some is admirable but based on belief.

Each to their own. I could point you to clinical studies about the efficacy of acupuncture and allied practices for depression. Similarly the effect of diet and the biome on our well being but you wouldn't bother reading so I won't bother finding the references. Of course, not everyone has the ability to read complex medical research papers.

I have every right to my opinion as do you to yours, perhaps danger is in the minds of the beholder.

Kandinsky Tue 21-Sep-21 11:34:36

Thank you everyone for your support & advice - really appreciate it. thanks

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 21-Sep-21 11:26:28

trisher

Germanshepherdsmum

I do agree trisher (oh dear, this is getting worrying!). All the things you mention can be so helpful. I found medication got me into a place where I could do them. Depression tends to take away all motivation and medication gave me a kick-start.

Wow Gsm do you think it is possible that we have more in common that we ever imagined?

Perhaps so! Nice not to be arguing!?

Blondiescot Tue 21-Sep-21 11:21:26

Please don't shy away from taking medication if you need it. As others have pointed out, if you had a deficiency in certain vitamins, for example, you'd probably be happy to take medication to resolve that issue - and depression is no different. I used to be very dismissive of depression, and was guilty of thinking people needed to 'pull themselves together' - until the menopause struck and brought depression and anxiety with it. I never ever thought I'd take antidepressants, but I've been on mirtazapine for the past few years and it's made a huge difference. You may find you only need to take them for a short period - or on a more long term basis - but there's no shame or stigma in doing so. If they work for you, then you need them - simple.

trisher Tue 21-Sep-21 11:16:17

Germanshepherdsmum

Wow Gsm do you think it is possible that we have more in common that we ever imagined?

Elless Tue 21-Sep-21 11:12:07

My sympathies Kandinsky depression is a horrible thing. I've suffered for 30 years from it and tried most of the medications mentioned above. A lot of people mention not being able to get over a certain event causing depression which I think is a different thing altogether and therapy in one form or another is more likely to help in these situations. Depression is a chemical imbalance in your brain and does need treatment so do not be afraid to take medication. Fortunately for some a course of treatment remedies it but for others it could be a lifelong thing.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 21-Sep-21 10:26:36

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 21-Sep-21 10:22:21

Thanks Fanny. I really identify with OP’s post. If you’re severely depressed, as OP clearly is and as I was, that sort of ‘advice’ is the last thing you need. Having been suicidal myself before I received proper medication, which put and keeps me in a much better place, I find the post quite dangerous so have reported it. I will always be hugely grateful to the GPs who have understood the problem and treated me so well and with such kindness.

trisher Tue 21-Sep-21 10:20:03

I had anti-depressants at a bad period in my life. I think they can help and they will get you through bad times, but alongside taking them I think you have to build other things into your life to help you. Exercise is one thing. I've been through swimming, yoga, tai-chi and pilates and now I'm back to yoga. I also walk a lot.
But you also have to take a good look at your life and decide if there are things you must change. Sometimes adding a creative activity into it can help (Drawing is really like meditation). Sometimes you need to take a big step and do something like change your job. If you have someone you can talk this through with it also helps. Good luck whatever you decide.

FannyCornforth Tue 21-Sep-21 10:11:19

Good post GermanShepherdsMum

Jaxjacky Tue 21-Sep-21 10:10:32

Jillyjosie I’m going to say the opposite to your comment on GP’s, mine was excellent in May 2020 when we were still in lockdown and helped me tremendously, as did her recommended course of CBT. Not all GP’s or surgeries are the same.

FannyCornforth Tue 21-Sep-21 10:10:17

You have a lot of knowledge about GPs JillyJosie

Unhelpful; inaccessible; poorly trained; out of date…

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 21-Sep-21 10:08:41

Jillyjosie, that wasn’t a very helpful post. In fact potentially dangerous. I have always found my GPs to be very understanding and helpful, certainly up to date, and drugs definitely won’t make things worse. Homeopathic remedies and acupuncture are not the first port of call for someone with clinical depression. I strongly suspect your ‘depression’ was not clinical depression or it wouldn’t have gone away with some therapy or pills from Holland and Barrett. I sincerely hope Kandinsky takes no notice of your post. Are you an anti-vaxxer? You’re certainly the equivalent of one so far as depression is concerned and it’s clear you know very little about it.

Hetty58 Tue 21-Sep-21 10:07:26

Kandinsky, if you were low in vitamin D, for instance, you'd hardly object to taking supplements to redress the balance.

It's just the same for serotonin, which you need for the best sleep and digestion. Talk to your doctor.

I'm a great believer in exercise to lift the spirits - especially out in nature and fresh air. Just being surrounded by greenery can lower anxiety. We aren't designed to sit indoors, after all.

Jillyjosie Tue 21-Sep-21 09:56:05

I have also suffered from depression and I've benefitted a lot from therapy. My past has also been difficult to escape from.

I always wonder about these threads and people who confidently advise speaking to GPs. I've never found a GP who was helpful and you'd be hard pressed to get any kind of thoughtful access these days.

If you're remotely sensitive and I think physiological and mental sensitivity often underlies depression, the drugs that get handed out can make things worse for some, they all have side effects.
If you can find a good acupuncturist, that can be very helpful. As can products containing 5htp which raises serotonin levels with few side effects. It has undergone clinical trials and is available online and from Holland and Barrett under various brand names.

There is no one answer and GPs have little training in the more subtle aspects of depression. They also tend to be very out of date with their knowledge. My experience is educate yourself and gently try things and importantly find support.

Skydancer Tue 21-Sep-21 09:35:40

Kadinsky, as someone has said, depression is an illness. I suffer from it and try to fight it. I don't take medication though I have considered it. Mine also stems from life events which I cannot get over and it may also be in my genes. As I'm getting older it's getting worse. Like you, I feel little enthusiasm for anything. I miss my children and grandchildren being young and feel I have little purpose. I don't want to burden my children with the way I feel and I know I am far too sensitive. I could cry at the drop of a hat. I always feel better when I am out of doors in nature, either in the garden or walking by the sea. Kadinsky, thank you for sharing and just to let you know you are not alone.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 21-Sep-21 09:32:54

I have taken anti-depressants for many years. They work for me and make me feel so much better. Don’t worry about getting addicted to them. That hasn’t happened to me, but it’s clear that I need them for my mental well-being. Exercise and getting outside, gardening if you are able to do that, are also a huge help but you have to get in the right frame of mind to have the motivation to do that. Anti-depressants get you there. Feeling you have nothing to look forward to is a classic sign of depression. I don’t go out very much and lead a very quiet life but I am now able to look forward to each day and whatever simple pleasures it might bring. Do go and see your doctor. Life can be so much better for you.

Anannymous Tue 21-Sep-21 09:25:39

Like you I have suffered with depression and anxiety on and off, probably for most of my life. I have used medication on several occasions and it really helped. On each occasion I took it for about a year then very gradually, (dropping one tablet a week over a couple of months) I came off them with no side effects at all. I felt so much better and I know if things get too bad I can go back on them, I took Fluoxetine. It works for me but I am sure other people deal with things differently. Hope you find something that works for you.