Gransnet forums

Health

Haven’t slept properly for weeks now

(68 Posts)
Shinamae Sat 25-Sep-21 10:17:21

Haven’t slept properly for weeks now and it is getting so debilitating. I am so tired when I go to bed but it takes me between 1 1/2 and two hours to actually fall asleep then I am invariably out two or three times a night to go to the lavatory. This morning I actually feel hung over and it is really starting to get me down now. I do have sleeping tablets but I use them very occasionally because being a recovering alcoholic I could easily get addicted to them and also after you use them for a few days they don’t work anyway. Any suggestions Gratefully received…. I am going to try and get a couple of hours on the sofa now

Chardy Mon 27-Sep-21 17:13:27

I used to listen to BBC World Service on a clock radio that switched itself off. I now listen to audio books on ipad which switch themselves off. If I wake in the night, I switch it back on.

luluaugust Mon 27-Sep-21 17:27:39

I do find I sleep better if I have had some exercise during the day, usually a walk and also I think it is important not to drop off other than at night. Many years ago I was told to concentrate on the word "relax", just quietly keep repeating it in your head and try and let yourself relax. Apparently the brain gets fed up with the repetition and gives up! My mum preferred "blue moon", breathing in to blue and out to moon. Its horrible lying awake at night and I hope you find a solution.

Allsorts Tue 28-Sep-21 07:00:38

It’s horrible not sleeping, m on the odd night I do get 5/6 hours I feel a different person and wake up with a spring in my step,,Every now and then when desperate I take a sleeping tablet, it works that night but not the second for some reason.

Shinamae Tue 28-Sep-21 09:35:54

After well over a week of not sleeping I must admit I took a zopiclone (just the one!!)last night, well the early hours of the morning actually about 2:30 am and I did sleep through till eight but won’t take one again now for probably three weeks. I was listening to podcasts which don’t always help because I find I’m concentrating on what they’re saying!!…?‍♀️

Charleygirl5 Tue 28-Sep-21 12:14:53

I am the opposite- I can sleep for 8 hours with thrips to the loo, without even trying.

I do have a sort of routine. I rarely watch TV beyond 10 pm. I check my computer, wash the odd coffee cup, in this weather fill a hwb then have a quick shower. I enjoy reading in bed at night so I always have a book on the go. I always try to turn off the light at midnight, turn over on my left side, and usually I am asleep within 5 minutes. I am trying desperately not to have a snooze or three during the day.

I know it is easier said than done but try not to thing of home or work problems and try to relax. The more you think about sleep the less likely it is to happen. I take after my father whereas my mother was like you, slept little.

Shinamae Tue 28-Sep-21 13:08:30

The thing is up to about a year ago l used to sleep fine, maybe it’s an age thing ?… just getting worse ?

Early Tue 28-Sep-21 14:40:23

Have you tried ASMR? Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. Lots of information and resources available. Often it’s just listening to a softly spoken or whispering voice or quiet, repetitive sounds resulting from someone engaging in a mundane task such as turning the pages of a book.

I have a couple of favourite ASMR “artists” I like and work for me but you need to find ones that suit you. I have to take meds, a side effect of which is insomnia. Sometimes my body is achingly tierd but my head still feels wired and won't quieten down. A few minutes of ASMR on my mobile phone by the bed and I’m soon asleep.

Shinamae Tue 28-Sep-21 21:52:15

Early

Have you tried ASMR? Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. Lots of information and resources available. Often it’s just listening to a softly spoken or whispering voice or quiet, repetitive sounds resulting from someone engaging in a mundane task such as turning the pages of a book.

I have a couple of favourite ASMR “artists” I like and work for me but you need to find ones that suit you. I have to take meds, a side effect of which is insomnia. Sometimes my body is achingly tierd but my head still feels wired and won't quieten down. A few minutes of ASMR on my mobile phone by the bed and I’m soon asleep.

Thank you Early,will look into that..??

Nancy0 Wed 29-Sep-21 00:58:33

Could I suggest lying on a yantra mat for 20 or 30 mins before you try to sleep? It sounds mad but it is so relaxing works well for me. A bit off putting I know but it does seem to relax you

Teacheranne Wed 29-Sep-21 01:03:38

muse

I’m another who has notebook by my bed. It was recommended to me when I started teaching at the age of 36. There was so much on my mind that when I got to bed, I was getting probably on average 4 hrs sleep and finding it difficult to drop off like you. I still do it now 11 years after retiring.

Once it’s on paper, as SueDonim says, you sleep.

As an ex teacher, I needed a book by my bed as well to pop random thoughts in as they occurred to me.

I was once told to always add a couple of “easy” tasks to a list so that they can be ticked off quickly - gives you a boost to see the ticks so you can then do more complex tasks.

I’m currently President of a large WI group and my bedroom notebook gets well used!

nanna8 Wed 29-Sep-21 01:13:14

I’m another insomniac and it gets boring not being able to sleep when everyone else is snoring away. I find it goes in cycles - a few bad nights then a better one. I haven’t slept through the night for many years but I just accept that now. I have found anti histamines are good which I sometimes have to take anyway for hay fever. Also melatonin tablets help you actually fall asleep but they are expensive here. You don’t need a prescription for them and my doctor tells me they are better than sleeping tablets from a health point of view.

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 06:43:24

Have been awake since 4 am, not that I was sleeping properly up till then, it really is getting me down now so Will go in Holland and Barrett today and try and get the melatonin tablets thanks for the tip…??

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 06:49:11

Just went on the Holland and Barrett website and could not find melatonin could only find this, has anybody used this with any success?

Greenfinch Wed 29-Sep-21 06:59:08

Unless things have changed melatonin is only available on prescription in U.K. unless you are prepared to risk buying online. I may be wrong.

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 07:22:32

Ahhh Nanna8 Says you do not need a prescription for them but it is odd not for Holland and Barrett to stock them if this is the case, I will google it just to check

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 07:24:22

Looks like you’re right greenfinch, I would definitely not order anything medicinal online… but might give my doctor a ring

Rebeccaharris01 Wed 29-Sep-21 07:24:31

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 07:25:27

nanna8

I’m another insomniac and it gets boring not being able to sleep when everyone else is snoring away. I find it goes in cycles - a few bad nights then a better one. I haven’t slept through the night for many years but I just accept that now. I have found anti histamines are good which I sometimes have to take anyway for hay fever. Also melatonin tablets help you actually fall asleep but they are expensive here. You don’t need a prescription for them and my doctor tells me they are better than sleeping tablets from a health point of view.

Are you in UK nanna8?

Greenfinch Wed 29-Sep-21 07:32:17

I believe she is in Australia .

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 07:58:06

Greenfinch

I believe she is in Australia .

Ahhhh that explains it then, thank you greenfinch ?

Ashcombe Wed 29-Sep-21 08:17:06

My DH has used ASMR You Tube clips for several years and finds them very effective. He has a few favourite contributors to whom he returns regularly. They involve mundane tasks such as a receptionist's conversation or a lady sorting out a considerable collection of nail varnish bottles. The same person posts regularly and within a week a new video from her may well gather half a million views, according to You Tube statistics!

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 15:37:28

Ashcombe

My DH has used ASMR You Tube clips for several years and finds them very effective. He has a few favourite contributors to whom he returns regularly. They involve mundane tasks such as a receptionist's conversation or a lady sorting out a considerable collection of nail varnish bottles. The same person posts regularly and within a week a new video from her may well gather half a million views, according to You Tube statistics!

Think I would try this,thank you so much… I really need to do something I’m getting quite desperate now

Shinamae Wed 29-Sep-21 15:40:32

Okay, this is the one I’m going to try tonight, fingers crossed ?

nadateturbe Thu 30-Sep-21 10:35:39

How did it go Shinamae

Shinamae Thu 30-Sep-21 10:43:22

I didn’t actually use it last night because I had to take codeine for my aching legs and that always makes me dozy but I can’t take that every night so I will probably try that tonight. Thanks for asking??