Gransnet forums

Health

What are you doing to boost your natural immunity?

(93 Posts)
effalump Sat 02-Oct-21 10:32:36

This is for people who, generally, think themselves fit and healthy. Which supplements do you use? Are there certain foods you find helpful? Do you have age-old family remedies that you still use? Do any of you eat fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir or kombucha and how effective are they for you? How about essential oils, do these work for you?

blue25 Tue 05-Oct-21 13:58:14

My dietician told me to be very careful with omega 6 as it can cause problems, so it’s interesting to see that some people take it as a supplement. Link below has some more info

www.webmd.com/women/features/benefits-of-essential-fats-and-oils

hilz Tue 05-Oct-21 11:47:33

Eating fresh fruit and vegetables, out in the daylight, walking, daily vit D and taking multivitamins too. .Trying to keep as active as we can and keeping in touch with our friends Figuring that to eat healthy and try to keep positive and happy will help us through any bad times to come. Stay safe everyone x

Cfaz49 Tue 05-Oct-21 10:05:44

Vit D and 3 turmeric with black pepper capsules each day. They work for me and seem to keep my joint inflammation at bay.

Shropshirelass Tue 05-Oct-21 09:55:27

Vitamin D (during the winter) Omega 3, Magnesium, Turmeric and Lutein (for eye health). No highly processed foods, sugars or carbohydrates. I eat grass fed meat, cheese, butter, eggs, cream and leafy greens grown above ground. Out in the fresh air as much as possible, including spending time by the sea, the sea air is so energising.

Hetty58 Tue 05-Oct-21 09:17:31

My friend has arthritis and avoids all foods from the nightshade family (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers etc.) saying it makes a difference. They are some of my favourite things, though, so I hope I don't get it!

Coco51 Mon 04-Oct-21 23:12:27

I always used to take echinacea as a boost and haven’t had a cold for years. Now I have to have my immune system suppressed, and hope for the best

Lulu16 Mon 04-Oct-21 21:22:22

Being out in the fresh air. Doing things that make me happy like swimming and gardening. Fresh fruit and veg, natural yoghurt and vitamin supplements. Avoiding stress.

mokryna Mon 04-Oct-21 20:56:09

I make myself go for a daily walk or go to gym. I don’t eat manufactured food, I mainly live on vegetables and fruit with small portions of white meat or oily fish.
I still work when I can,
My doctor prescribed Orocal 500mg twice a day and colecalciferol D every second month. I keep up to date with cancer tests and any vaccinations I am offered.

Mistyfluff8 Mon 04-Oct-21 19:49:01

Vit D3Magnesium and Calcium plus Multivitamins and Minerals occasionally I eat healthy and have Kefir .

Happysexagenarian Mon 04-Oct-21 19:16:15

Vitamin D supplement throughout the year, and any vaccinations I'm offered.

valdali Mon 04-Oct-21 18:42:02

Vitamin D is a no-brainer. Especially for older folk and when C-19 around. You can take it with Calcium if you're non-dairy or just every few days if you use cod liver oil, which is also really good and contains loads of vit D. Most elderly people admitted to hospital are vit D deficient and there's a statistical link between this and severe C-19 disease. But actually, to take this as daily cod liver oil with a weekly vit-D supplement is good for most people (if you're on prescription drugs you would need to check with your practice though). Cod liver oil can be good against ischaemic heart disease and vit D definitely good against cancer, also helps with bone health, C-19 resilience, aches & pains.... Vitamin C is good for the common cold & pretty much harmless, but I just take vit D / cod liver oil cos I don't like taking tablets.And I do have a glass of orange juice (vit C) a day. If you struggle with constipation, maybe cod liver oil is better than taking daily vit D tablets as they are quite chalky whereas cod liver oil is oily and no chalk , but this is just my take on it, not scientific at all.

GreenGran78 Mon 04-Oct-21 17:31:17

When having a hip replacement, three years ago, my surgeon recommended turmeric/black pepper and glucosamine/calcium for bone strength. My GP told me that many of her patients, even younger ones, have Vitamin D deficiency, so I also take that, along with a multi vitamin and a cod liver oil. I don't know if they do any good, or not, but I'm 82 and have no medical problems at all. I confess to eating a reasonably balanced, mainly home-cooked diet, with probably not enough fruit and veg and a little too many 'treats.'
Some days I walk/do housework/garden and some days I do a lot of sitting about. I have never smoked and I don't like alcohol. I don't think that my lifestyle is responsible for my very good health. None of my family were long living, most dying in their 60s. Maybe the supplements are helping me to stay well. Who knows?
I just cross my fingers, count my blessings, and hope to drop dead suddenly, one day, with minimum inconvenience to my family!

Newatthis Mon 04-Oct-21 16:40:46

Vitamin C in powder form, vitamins for bone health and a good diet. I also try to use natural, chemical free products on my body.

Olive53 Mon 04-Oct-21 16:38:22

High dosage vitamin D, blueberries, plenty of fruit and veg, especially watercress

Elvis58 Mon 04-Oct-21 16:22:25

Cod liver oil one a day.Lotsof fruit and veg.Walking everyday, lots of fresh air, lots of water.

luluaugust Mon 04-Oct-21 16:07:43

Vit D and Omega 3,6. Fresh food, very few ready prepared meals and that is about it for now.

62Granny Mon 04-Oct-21 16:00:57

I take omega 3,6,9 and glucosamine for my joints , hubby likes kimchi/sauerkraut and will eat a portion twice a week, also the little Actimel bottles daily. We try to eat healthy with plenty of fruit and veg and I tend to cook from scratch.

Juicywords Mon 04-Oct-21 15:54:43

Also GOPO for arthritis (not immunity)

Juicywords Mon 04-Oct-21 15:52:29

Internet playing up today?. Have taken 50mcg (2000 iu) for years. Dr John Campbell also recommends it. A consultant I saw recently said my levels were normal, but most people were deficient.

Smurf52 Mon 04-Oct-21 15:46:49

Vitamin D because we don’t get enough sun in this country. I have also taken various types of cod liver/fish oil, glucosamine, chondroitin supplements for the last 20 years because my joints were starting to hurt and stiffen up. Now (touch wood) I don’t get joint pain or stiffness any more at 69.

Recovering from a broken ankle I’m not varying my diet much with fresh foods etc so I’m currently taking a multivitamin/mineral supplement. Due to my broken bones I hope to have a DEXA scan for bone density soon and if need be I’ll add calcium supplements.

Juicywords Mon 04-Oct-21 15:45:35

(continued!) range, which was rare. Also GOPO for arthrii

Callistemon Mon 04-Oct-21 15:35:47

Thank you for that MayBee

I've just realised that curcuma is turmeric (I think)

MayBee70 Mon 04-Oct-21 15:33:28

Callistemon

^My arthritis has flared up really badly so I throw every anti inflammatory I can into the blender!^
What natural anti-inflammatory would you recommend, Maybee70?

We will start taking Vit D again now but tend not to take it every day.

Curcuma as an anti-inflammatory for joints
Do you find it helps, Kali2?

I'm sure some foods make it flare up but can't work out which, wondered if it could be tomatoes.

I’ve found the list I made from the video I saw. Papaya, biotin,devils claw ( I must get some of that), broccoli,kale,ginger, pineapple, nuts, turmeric, blueberries and cherries. Cherries are good for bronchial health, too.

Callistemon Mon 04-Oct-21 15:28:26

I have read that frozen vegetables could be higher in vitamins and nutrients, Maybee70 because 'fresh' vegetables could be older and lose Vitamin C in particular.

MayBee70 Mon 04-Oct-21 15:16:44

It’s sometimes not easy to buy fresh vegetables on a regular basis, especially if, like me, you’re trying to avoid going to shops. And to get the sort of balanced diet necessary can work out very expensive when you’re living on a pension!