Gransnet forums

Health

What are you doing to boost your natural immunity?

(92 Posts)
effalump Sat 02-Oct-21 10:32:36

This is for people who, generally, think themselves fit and healthy. Which supplements do you use? Are there certain foods you find helpful? Do you have age-old family remedies that you still use? Do any of you eat fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir or kombucha and how effective are they for you? How about essential oils, do these work for you?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 02-Oct-21 10:34:26

Vit. D

henetha Sat 02-Oct-21 10:37:55

I've just started taking vitamin D again for winter. And cod liver oil. And overnight oats with natural yoghurt. Also porridge.
I don't fancy fermented foods. Are they good?

Elegran Sat 02-Oct-21 10:52:36

Multivitamins and a varied diet. Various things come into fashion for boosting natural immunity and go back out of favour when something new comes in. A normal sensible diet with multivitamins to cover anything missing has always been my choice, plus taking advantage of vaccination campaigns to increase my immunity to specific threats. I seldom catch infections.

tanith Sat 02-Oct-21 11:00:47

No supplements I get out in the fresh air whenever I can for a dose of sunshine, and eat as healthily as I can. I have any vaccinations I’m offered and screening.

Antonia Sat 02-Oct-21 11:22:01

Only vitamin D in winter. The trouble is, there's no reliable way of measuring if, and by how much, the immune system has been boosted.

Baggs Sat 02-Oct-21 11:27:25

Nothing. I just try to keep active, get outside a lot and eat good food.

Juliet27 Sat 02-Oct-21 11:30:13

Vit. D. Milled flax seed, prune juice ?

Juliet27 Sat 02-Oct-21 11:33:50

I’ve always had flu jabs and added those for pneumonia and shingles.

BlueBelle Sat 02-Oct-21 11:35:23

VitD and a strong Siberian ginsing and out in the fresh air on my allotment, garden or beach, plus a bit of sea swimming so far so good

Witzend Sat 02-Oct-21 11:36:04

Just vitamin D, certainly during the many months when getting enough sunlight is unlikely or impossible.
I gather that a lack of it is now linked to various diseases apart from the traditional suspect, rickets.

Kim19 Sat 02-Oct-21 11:43:44

I take one CLO capsule every day. Other than that a healthy diet and daily walk seems to be doing it for me this

Kim19 Sat 02-Oct-21 11:44:15

far!

Mamardoit Sat 02-Oct-21 13:59:38

DH was advised to take VitD last winter so I will take them too now. Other than that just a good diet. We do eat meat and fish but lots of fresh veg. I do like to eat what's fresh and grown locally. We grow some ourselves.

aonk Sat 02-Oct-21 14:05:10

Just vitamin D and plenty of fruit really as well as fresh air even on cold days. I eat what I like as I was brought up in a home where I had to eat things I disliked. A couple of family members were also obsessed with their digestive systems and wouldn’t eat certain things which “disagreed” with them.

Esspee Sat 02-Oct-21 14:22:22

I don’t use vitamin and mineral supplements as I have a varied diet and am outdoors a lot. I always buy live yoghurt and usually have Kimchi in the fridge. From time to time I buy Keffir.
My OH and I are by far the healthiest in our peer group though I put my excellent health down to supplementing oestrogen to avoid menopause for the last 32 years. I feel like I did in my 40s.

Forsythia Sat 02-Oct-21 19:53:40

Vitamin C with Zinc plus an effort to eat a good diet.

Hetty58 Sat 02-Oct-21 20:12:51

Vitamin D - and a B12 sublingual (as I'm vegan) with loads of fresh veg -especially the green, leafy kind - and fruit, every day. I have a fruit and veg box delivered, so make an effort to eat my way through it all before the next one arrives. It's done me the world of good!

I have a couple of brazil nuts with my muesli and oat milk, for the selenium and I do a lot of walking. So far, so good, fit, strong, happy and healthy!

MiniMoon Sat 02-Oct-21 20:18:12

I take a Wellwoman over 70 multi vitamin + iron tablet. Usually I have a vitamin D tablet alone, but when I ran out, the shop had none.
I actually think I'll stick with them because the condition of my finger nails has improved.
I also have had my flu jab, and will have a covid booster if and when it's offered.

MayBee70 Sat 02-Oct-21 22:52:28

I hate cooking and don’t eat as many vegetables as I should so each day I make a protein HUEL smoothie and add freeze dried papaya, blueberry, beetroot, pineapple, kale and broccoli powder along with a carrot, apple, green tea, golden paste, bio yoghurt,green tea, cinnamon, nuts and black seed oil. My arthritis has flared up really badly so I throw every anti inflammatory I can into the blender! It also means I can have the occasional mainly vegan day without having to think about what I shouldn’t eat. And I use a chocolate HUEL so I get a chocolate fix at the same time!At night I have a VitD, zinc, B12 and magnesium tablet. I probably don’t need to take those as the HUEL has lots of vitamins and minerals in it but it’s become a habit now. I keep losing fillings so struggle to eat apples and nuts if I don’t add them to a smoothie.

MerylStreep Sat 02-Oct-21 23:04:28

None. Our diet is mainly fish based, including oysters and mussels. I just think I’m very very lucky to have the good health and strength I have.

Shandy57 Sat 02-Oct-21 23:27:45

I've recently started taking 1000 Vit D, and had an amazing few weeks without my psoriasis - but it's now returning. I also take Wellwoman 50+ and eat a lot of fruit and veg. In fact I've just had an orange - a chocolate one, ha ha!

BlueSky Sun 03-Oct-21 09:22:24

Same here Elegran. One daily Multivitamin & mineral tablet for the over 50s, good diet and walking. Still unsured at the thought of taking large amounts of VitD, unless specifically prescribed by consultant.

silverlining48 Sun 03-Oct-21 10:07:26

Vit D throughout the year,

Caleo Sun 03-Oct-21 10:39:41

I open windows when it's not very cold outside.